Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Lancaster carry while hunting

I was told over the weekend by a game warden that Lancaster county sheriff requires you to have both a sportsmans permit and an LTCF when carrying a sidearm while hunting.
    PA state law says you only need one or the other (sportsmans open LTCF concealed or open).
    Isn't it a violation of the states preemption law for the sheriff to require a stricter standard than the state for lawful carriage of a firearm while hunting?

(Washington County)

Default Re: Lancaster carry while hunting

You do not need both, PM me the name of the WCO and I will contact them.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCO,R.W.J View Post
    You do not need both, PM me the name of the WCO and I will contact them.
    The WCO does not need correction.
    He said that the state only requires one or the other, and he would only request one or the other.
    He specifically said he only goes by the state law, and never asks for both.
    He seems to understand the law.
    He is not the problem.
    He said that the county sheriff is who you would have problems with if they found you without both while in the act of hunting.

(Washington County)

The County Sheriff cannot enforce game law. The Sheriff cannot check you while for hunting law compliance.

John F Kennedy.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCO,R.W.J View Post
    The County Sheriff cannot enforce game law. The Sheriff cannot check you while for hunting law compliance.
    I have never personally experienced it, but aparently the Lancaster county sheriff thinks it can.

(Washington County)

Perhaps a call to the PGC regional office and let the Law Enforcement supervisor know, They may be able to let the Sheriff know that both arent required.

John F Kennedy.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionboyj View Post
    I was told over the weekend by a game warden that Lancaster county sheriff requires you to have both a sportsmans permit and an LTCF when carrying a sidearm while hunting.
    PA state law says you only need one or the other (sportsmans open LTCF concealed or open).
    Isn't it a violation of the states preemption law for the sheriff to require a stricter standard than the state for lawful carriage of a firearm while hunting?
    You don't need either if you open carry and walk to your hunting destination.

The LTCF covers you at all times in the state. The Sportsman's Permit covers you only when transporting to/from and concealing while hunting, fishing, trapping, and dog training. Certain seasons though like archery and muzzleloader, and during spot-lighting, require a LTCF. ...the Sportsman's Permit wont suffice for those activities.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    You don't need either if you open carry and walk to your hunting destination.

The LTCF covers you at all times in the state. The Sportsman's Permit covers you only when transporting to/from and concealing while hunting, fishing, trapping, and dog training. Certain seasons though like archery and muzzleloader, and during spot-lighting, require a LTCF. ...the Sportsman's Permit wont suffice for those activities.
    100% correct I failed to interject that.

John F Kennedy.

(Dauphin County)

forgive me if this is slightly off topic. But as a hunter myself and being out with friends that carry a hand gun while hunting I never understood the need for both until a few years ago a friend of mine and his father were out hunting (perry county I believe but dont hold me to that) his father had shot a deer and they were down at the deer field dressing it when two "hunters" dressed in orange walked over to the. My friend didnt think anything of it as many of us out hunting are nosey and like to see what the other guy got that you didnt lol and thats all he thought of it. Until they pointed their rifles at him and his father and robbed them of their guns and cell phone in the middle of the woods. Then I understood `why its not a bad idea to have a little something extra with you.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by IrishLegend View Post
    forgive me if this is slightly off topic. But as a hunter myself and being out with friends that carry a hand gun while hunting I never understood the need for both until a few years ago a friend of mine and his father were out hunting (perry county I believe but dont hold me to that) his father had shot a deer and they were down at the deer field dressing it when two "hunters" dressed in orange walked over to the. My friend didnt think anything of it as many of us out hunting are nosey and like to see what the other guy got that you didnt lol and thats all he thought of it. Until they pointed their rifles at him and his father and robbed them of their guns and cell phone in the middle of the woods. Then I understood `why its not a bad idea to have a little something extra with you.
    Going to rob a guy where you are reasonably sure he has a gun.
    Pure balls.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast