Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default Re: [FUNDRAISER] Holding Philadelphia Responsible

Quote Originally Posted by XACEX View Post
    what exactly is your goal? an injunction against the city? monetary compensation?
    My goal is to affect some kind of change. While a strong case that goes to trial would be preferable, it's unknown as to whether or not that would be possible with this case. As such, if that doesn't happen, I am going to discuss with my attorney whether or not a re-write of certain policies can be put on the table to help ensure that open carriers who are abiding by the law are much less likely to have their persons and property seized upon "investigations."

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    Some questions:

1. Will you promise not to take a payout to drop the lawsuit? (IE: Settle out of court). I guess an option would be to have a vote held consisting of people that donated if it gets to that. Frankly, I'd like to see you take this ALL THE WAY even at the risk of losing money and jeopardizing simply a payout.

2. If a settlement is reached, will you reimburse the people that donated?
    1.) The point here is not really for me to "make money" - I'm looking to see changes made to the way that law abiding citizens are treated in the city of Philadelphia. If a settlement allows me to come to that conclusion, and involves less risk than taking it to court, then that's what I would likely do.

2.) The point of a donation is not to be reimbursed afterwards - that would be a loan. However, all help is greatly appreciated, and if your donation is dependent on reimbursement upon settlement of favorable jury verdict, I can't see that as being a problem. I would like to ask, though, if you don't mind - would you expect reimbursement if, for whatever reason, a settlement cannot be reached and the jury verdict is negligible or not in our favor? I am not trying to be rude, I'm just trying to understand better.

Quote Originally Posted by Pkspawn View Post
    As you don't know me.. I don't know you..

Would it be possible to send payment directly to the attorney on your behalf? That way we at least know an attorney is getting it for the case, you wouldn't need to give out your address etc..

Also like previous asked, what are the goals you and the lawyer are seeking.
    My attorney and I discussed this a couple days ago and that was one of the options - however, in the midst of the discussion today I forgot to rehash this with him. I have already left him a voicemail regarding this and will send him an email after this post to find out if donations can just be sent to the lawfirm c/o my name - I will add that info to the original post of this thread when I get confirmation.

As for the second part, I answered that above.

EDITED TO ADD: My attorney has advised me that donations can be sent payable to his firm, and not directly to me, if you prefer not to send via PayPal. See the first post in this thread.
    Last edited by ViperGTS19801; April 11th, 2011 at 07:54 PM.
    Junior

(Northampton County)

I think you should have an actual fund raiser... like a chicken dinner in Philadelphia or something.

But regardless, I will donate. It would probably be better to do it through the PAFOA legal fund. I'm sure this case is a viable candidate for the mods to "sponsor."

(Delaware County)

uniballin - That may not be a bad idea...hm. I wish I knew more about the topic.

I sent a message to gnbrotz to see if he's willing to help head this effort - if he says no for whatever reason, I obviously wouldn't hold it against him! But I'll take any help I can get.
    Junior

1. Have you tried contacting the usual suspects for this fundraiser?
    Not that they need to conduct it.

2. Echo the third party handling the entire thing regardless.

3. Have you been in contact with opencarry.org about this at all?

4. After the madam raven fundraiser I’m a bit more leary.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Clinton County)

Awesome, Mark. Got some cash headed your way by next week. Keep us posted.

(Delaware County)

Again, thanks to all who are offering their support. You guys have been critical in helping me keep up this fight.
    Junior

Just a suggestion. If you donate through PayPal they will take a cut of it. I'll be sending a check from my bank online. It won't even cost me postage.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    My goal is to affect some kind of change. While a strong case that goes to trial would be preferable, it's unknown as to whether or not that would be possible with this case. As such, if that doesn't happen, I am going to discuss with my attorney whether or not a re-write of certain policies can be put on the table to help ensure that open carriers who are abiding by the law are much less likely to have their persons and property seized upon "investigations."

So you would be happy with a policy change that in effect would say "Phillt PD must follow the laws as written"?

They are breaking the law. Not some contrary policy on the books.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Erie County)

First, I commend you for taking this on and pursuing a change in the modus operandi of the PPD.

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    ... However, all help is greatly appreciated, and if your donation is dependent on reimbursement upon settlement of favorable jury verdict, I can't see that as being a problem....
    I would not want reimbursement should you win, but I'll make a suggestion
    ...if you should prevail in the lawsuit I would suggest you go ahead and pay it forward
    ....by contributing an the amount that was donated to you to pay the initial retainer into the fund gnbrotz has setup for similar lawsuits against municipalities.

Just a suggestion.
    Last edited by ChuckS; April 12th, 2011 at 03:18 PM.
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

“The will to win is important. But the will to prepare is vital.” — Joe Paterno

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
    First, I commend you for taking this on and pursuing a change in the modus operandi of the PPD.

I would not want reimbursement should you win, but I'll make a suggestion
    ...if you should prevail in the lawsuit I would suggest you go ahead and pay it forward
    ....by contributing an the amount that was donated to you to pay the initial retainer into the fund gnbrotz has setup for similar lawsuits against municipalities.

Just a suggestion.
    This is an EXCELLENT idea - consider it done, if everything is successful.
    Junior

Page 2 of 31 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast