Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Non-resident hunting?

Hi all,
    I am a resident of New York, with a New York State pistol license.

I would like to handgun hunt wild boar at the Tioga Boar hunting preserve in Pennsylvania.

Do I need a special handgun license/permit to be able to hunt there? I do not intend to carry concealed while in PA, just want to bring a unloaded handgun to Tioga and hunt wild boar.
    Thanks.

Default Re: Non-resident hunting?

I'm not sure if hunting at a preserve changes the guns which are lawful to hunt with, but assuming it does not, provided the the gun is a center fire revolver, and is transported unloaded in your trunk or a locked case directly to the preserve and back to NY you will be OK. It's also a good practice to store your ammo seperate from the firearm.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Jefferson County)

What kind of license if your New York permit? Home & Range? Carry?

You first must transport legally under New York laws. ...your permit must allow transporting for hunting.

Your NYS permit will allow you to transport/carry within a vehicle while in PA. While in the vehicle you can carry it openly or concealed, loaded or unloaded. Once outside of the vehicle in PA you would only be allowed to carry it openly.

Mind you, our game laws will also determine what you can use to take game. Small game can only use a .22rf or small manually operated handgun. Except groundhog, which you can use any caliber and any type of ignition. Large game like deer and bear, you can only use centerfire manually operated handguns. Absolutely NO semi-auto handguns are allowed to take game with - unless you have lost use of one hand - then the gun must have a magazine capacity of no more than 4 rounds.

To "hunt" wildboar you must first be hunting some other critter that is in it's lawful season, with a firearm that is legal for that other species. You cannot hunt wildboars outright, you can only kill them incidentally to hunting another lawful critter. For this period in the year, groundhog and coyotes are the only legal critters that come to mind - so you would have to be hunting groundhogs or coyotes, with a gun legal for those critters, to kill a wildboar that you saw incidentally to hunting groundhog.
    Last edited by knight0334; April 11th, 2011 at 02:55 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Washington County)

If you are hunting at a Game Preserve you do not need a PA hunting license.
    Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion, without the discomfort of thought.

John F Kennedy.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by WCO,R.W.J View Post
    If you are hunting at a Game Preserve you do not need a PA hunting license.
    Yeah... ...I forgot to address that issue. lol

My brain is too distracted with work. lol
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    What kind of license if your New York permit? Home & Range? Carry?

You first must transport legally under New York laws. ...your permit must allow transporting for hunting.

Your NYS permit will allow you to transport/carry within a vehicle while in PA. While in the vehicle you can carry it openly or concealed, loaded or unloaded. Once outside of the vehicle in PA you would only be allowed to carry it openly.

Mind you, our game laws will also determine what you can use to take game. Small game can only use a .22rf or small manually operated handgun. Except groundhog, which you can use any caliber and any type of ignition. Large game like deer and bear, you can only use centerfire manually operated handguns. Absolutely NO semi-auto handguns are allowed to take game with - unless you have lost use of one hand - then the gun must have a magazine capacity of no more than 4 rounds.

To "hunt" wildboar you must first be hunting some other critter that is in it's lawful season, with a firearm that is legal for that other species. You cannot hunt wildboars outright, you can only kill them incidentally to hunting another lawful critter. For this period in the year, groundhog and coyotes are the only legal critters that come to mind - so you would have to be hunting groundhogs or coyotes, with a gun legal for those critters, to kill a wildboar that you saw incidentally to hunting groundhog.
    Thank's,

My NYS pistol license allows me to carry concealed to and from a target range, and to and from a legal hunting area in NY State, and while afield hunting. Must be carried concealed unless while afield hunting, or on the target range for the purpose of target shooting.