Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Need Opinions: What Sig P220 Model To Buy and Why?

First off, I realize that my craving for a Sig is taboo to my fellow Glockers...but rest assured I own the Glock .45acp fleet and a G17.

However, recently I held and fired my friends P220 and just loved it, felt great, pointed well, shot well, and had good ergonomics to boot. I've decided that I need to add this pistol to my arsenal but I am ignorant to Sig's and thus I am requesting the enlightenment from you fine individuals.

The traits I really 'must have' are, SAO (that DA/SA just isn't for me, I do not enjoy it) Night Sights, Beaver Tail (I don't know what it is about that little addition but it helps my grip and really sets the gun apart IMO)

The rest I'm unclear of, Carry model or Fullsize? (not compact) Which models/years should I avoid? (I've been hearing mixed opinions about recent quality control at Sig) Stainless or Standard finish?

This will primarily be a nightstand gun and will sport a tac-lite. However, versatility is preferred if performance isn't compromised...It would be nice to have the option of carrying it.

Thank you all in advance for your replies.

(Columbia County)

Default Re: Need Opinions: What Sig P220 Model To Buy and Why?

diamond plate

(Montgomery County)

Personally, even though you have expressed a desire for SAO, if it is going to be a "Nightstand Gun", you might want to reconsider. If woken from deep sleep, the DA/SA gives you that second or so to "think" before pressing the trigger, rather than the release safety and pull of the 1911 style pistol, which is what the SAO Sig 220 really is.

That being said, I would look for a German made Sig 220 in 0.45 ACP (as they did come in other calibres) from the 1985-1994 era. In a lot of peoples opinion, these were made to a higher standard than the current Sigs. Should be able to find one for around $500 or so from that era. they will not look pristine, but they still go bang when the trigger is pulled.

I own the P220, 226 and P6 from those times and any of them are more than adequate. Dave_n

I have a plain Jane 220 Carry; SA/DA, night sights, no beavertail, standard finish, etc. Mine's about 4 years old & has been flawless. Love the gun!

Have you shot a 220 without the beavertail? JMO, but I don't see the need for a beavertail on a P model, other than cosmetic.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_n View Post
    Personally, even though you have expressed a desire for SAO, if it is going to be a "Nightstand Gun", you might want to reconsider. If woken from deep sleep, the DA/SA gives you that second or so to "think" before pressing the trigger, rather than the release safety and pull of the 1911 style pistol, which is what the SAO Sig 220 really is.
    As a Sig owner I agree with the above post completely.

Also, its only the first shot thats DA. And thats if you want the first shot to be DA. If you have a second, you can always just cock the hammer back.

As far as a nightstand gun, I would make sure to get one of the "R" models. Meaning it has the rail so you can attach a tac light.

If you are sleeping and hear something in the house that shouldn't be there, having a light in necessary.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

To all replies: Thank you for not only the speed of your response but the quality of your information. It is appreciated, rep inbound.

Quote Originally Posted by whiff45 View Post
    diamond plate
    I am unsure what you meant by this?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_n View Post

That being said, I would look for a German made Sig 220 in 0.45 ACP (as they did come in other calibres) from the 1985-1994 era. In a lot of peoples opinion, these were made to a higher standard than the current Sigs. Should be able to find one for around $500 or so from that era. they will not look pristine, but they still go bang when the trigger is pulled.

I own the P220, 226 and P6 from those times and any of them are more than adequate. Dave_n
    I completely understand your case and point, it is duly noted. My main motivation for wanting the SAO is my experience with Glocks, as previously mentioned. Since Glocks are SAO and feature a 5lb trigger pull, I feel comfortable and confident with that configuration. My G36 is my EDC weapon, always chambered and ready at a moments notice.

Okay, German made Sig, I'll be on the lookout for that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but are most Sig receivers made in Germany? (I see that on almost every Sig I've come in contact with.) Is what your referring to one of those 'German imports' I hear about?

Quote Originally Posted by IronButt View Post
    I have a plain Jane 220 Carry; SA/DA, night sights, no beavertail, standard finish, etc. Mine's about 4 years old & has been flawless. Love the gun!

Have you shot a 220 without the beavertail? JMO, but I don't see the need for a beavertail on a P model, other than cosmetic.
    I haven't shot a P220 without a beaver tail...but I've shot my buddies p229 without a beaver tail. Regardless, I can see your point. I think my personal appeal to the beaver tail is due to my 1911 experiences. Also, it is a cosmetic thing...It's minor and it wouldn't break a good deal that I would potentially find on a P220, but it would be preferred.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    As a Sig owner I agree with the above post completely.

Also, its only the first shot thats DA. And thats if you want the first shot to be DA. If you have a second, you can always just cock the hammer back.

As far as a nightstand gun, I would make sure to get one of the "R" models. Meaning it has the rail so you can attach a tac light.

If you are sleeping and hear something in the house that shouldn't be there, having a light in necessary.
    Great point, I suppose I could always keep a DA/SA P220 on my nightstand with the hammer back. Since I'm a newly single guy living in a house by himself, this wouldn't present much of a problem either.

Also, aren't the 'R' models made with an aluminum composite frame? If they are, is the weight reduction significantly noticeable?

I also NEED a rail, that is one thing I refuse to compromise on regardless of price. If their isn't a rail, it cannot serve my intended purpose.

...There was something else I wanted to add but it's alluding me at the moment...When I think of it I'll edit this part of my post.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by MrVenneri View Post

Also, aren't the 'R' models made with an aluminum composite frame? If they are, is the weight reduction significantly noticeable?
    The "R" designation just means it has the rail.

As far as frame materials, Ive only owned Sig's that are the aluminum composite framed models. So I dont know much about the ones with the steel frames.

I dont own a 220 model, but FWIW if I had to choose one, it would be this model:
    P220-R "Carry"

Its slightly smaller, than the full size 220, but it has the same magazine capacity, comes with the rail and would be lighter in weight.

(link: http://sigsauer.com/CatalogProductDe...220-carry.aspx)

Last edited by Ricochet; April 9th, 2011 at 10:38 AM.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post
    The "R" designation just means it has the rail.

As far as frame materials, Ive only owned Sig's that are the aluminum composite framed models. So I dont know much about the ones with the steel frames.

I dont own a 220 model, but FWIW if I had to choose one, it would be this model:
    P220-R "Carry"

Its slightly smaller, than the full size 220, but it has the same magazine capacity, comes with the rail and would be lighter in weight.
    That was my first 'gut' choice. The carry model just seems to offer to versatility that I am looking for. It's roughly about the same dimensions as the Glock 19, which is great.

However, I found what I think is a good deal and I was wondering if you could offer some advice.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

Is offering a new Sig P220R (fullsize), SAO, Night Sights, Aluminum checkers grips, 2 mags, and a free retention holster to boot for $649. (I'm not 100% sure that's the 'shipped' price but they state free shipping on orders over $200, so one can only assume.)

Edit: Called, shipping is 17.99
    Last edited by MrVenneri; April 9th, 2011 at 11:09 AM.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by MrVenneri View Post
    That was my first 'gut' choice. The carry model just seems to offer to versatility that I am looking for. It's roughly about the same dimensions as the Glock 19, which is great.

However, I found what I think is a good deal and I was wondering if you could offer some advice.

http://www.cdnninvestments.com/

Is offering a new Sig P220R (fullsize), SAO, Night Sights, Aluminum checkers grips, 2 mags, and a free retention holster to boot for $649. (I'm not 100% sure that's the 'shipped' price but they state free shipping on orders over $200, so one can only assume.)

Edit: Called, shipping is 17.99
    That sounds like a good deal to me.
    Although, I dont know much about the new aluminum grips that Sig has been selling. My concern was that in cold weather, metal grips would be a shock to your hand.

And as a matter of fact, I recently started a thread about that very topic looking for advice: http://forum.pafoa.org/pistols-41/13...uer-grips.html

But for $649 + shipping and transfer fees, I think you could save a little money by going that route.

But to be on the safe side, you may wan to find a Sig dealer in your area just to hold and feel the difference between the full size and "carry" models.

They even make a smaller 220 called the "compact". But that model doesn't come with the rail.
    Last edited by Ricochet; April 9th, 2011 at 11:24 AM.

I'm not a fan of the SAO, but that looks like a good price for a new one. Throw the holster away & get a good one though. It's free for a reason.
    "It's hard to imagine a more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
    Thomas Sowell

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast