Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Susquehanna Non-resident LTCF

After a less-than-desirable experience at the Bradford County Sheriff's office (see Bradford forum), my friend and I trucked over to Montrose to see if we could apply for our non-resident LTCFs there, since we'd already taken off half the day from work and driven down into PA.

They said they process more permits for people from NY than they do people from PA. Go figure.

Was real simple: fill out the application, get your picture taken, sign the signature pad, pay your $25, then watch the mailbox. No tricks, no BS. I'll add that the folks doing the processing were mighty friendly, too. We got there late due to the mess in Bradford county, but the worker there stayed late to complete the applications.

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Susquehanna Non-resident LTCF

[QUOTE=
    Was real simple: fill out the application, get your picture taken, sign the signature pad, pay your $25, then watch the mailbox. No tricks, no BS. [/QUOTE]

Great. I've been wondering if it was possible. Any special paperwork involved, hunting license, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by BarnacleBob View Post
    Great. I've been wondering if it was possible. Any special paperwork involved, hunting license, etc?
    You need to show them your pistol permit/license/whatever from your home state, that's a PA requirement. I can't remember if I had to show them my driver's license, but I'm guessing I did.

Are they still accepting them? I saw a blurb on their webpage saying they weren't. I used to have one that didn't survive the washing machine, was going to head down there and see if they'd reissue, but now I'm wondering if I shouldn't just go to Wilkes Barre or some such?

(Susquehanna County)

They are not accepting non resident in Susquehanna County unless you are primarily employed or own land there. I talked with the Sheriff about this personally, and he said "we just don't have the manpower to process the amount of applications".

He needs to go next time we vote for a sheriff. As far as I know, Luzerne County (WB area) still does them, in fact one of my high school classmates is now the county sheriff there.
    Stay armed my friends.

Will they renew an old one? I had one issued in 2009, but would need to get the address changed for renewal. Was going to take a drive down to Montrose but don't want to waste my time and will just go to WB if push comes to shove.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by wrangler1120 View Post
    They are not accepting non resident in Susquehanna County unless you are primarily employed or own land there. I talked with the Sheriff about this personally, and he said "we just don't have the manpower to process the amount of applications".

He needs to go next time we vote for a sheriff. As far as I know, Luzerne County (WB area) still does them, in fact one of my high school classmates is now the county sheriff there.
    This burns me. The sheriff has a statutory duty to process applications, and the statutes make no distinction between residents and non-residents in this regard. If they really are so short on manpower that they can't do them they need to hire another person to handle the volume. At $20 per application it's not exactly an unfunded mandate from the legislature.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Long story as short as I can make it:

Got my first LTCF from Susquehanna County as a New Yorker back in 2009, just had to show them my unrestricted NYS pistol license. Later moved to PA, tried to get one issued by Wyoming County, and was basically told by the Sheriff's office there (and posters here) "Don't waste your money, wait until Susquehanna expires, we don't care if the address is out of date." Got married, took the spouse's name, moved to Luzerne County, so I just applied there as a PA resident with the new name. The out of date address was one thing, but I wasn't willing to carry around a LTCF that had a different name than my drivers license, for obvious reasons. Luzerne issued on the spot, as opposed to Susquehanna, which made me wait a whole four business days before it arrived in the mail.

Got divorced, took back my name, re-located back to NYS. Got my unrestricted NYS pistol license re-issued, so now I need to get my PA LTCF updated to reflect my new situation.

So which is better? Go back to Susquehanna and try to get that license re-issued knowing that they don't want to deal with non-residents, or take the drive down to Wilkes Barre with my divorce papers, NYS drivers license, and NYS pistol license, aiming to get the Luzerne license updated and/or re-issued?

My preference is Susquehanna, because it's an easier drive, but I no longer have that license in my possession (it was one of the old paper ones and didn't survive the washing machine) and don't want to waste the trip to Montrose if they're just going to turn me away. I do still have the Luzerne County license in my possession, and my divorce was done in a PA Court, so hopefully they'd accept the name change at face value without making me jump through a lot of hoops.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by BravoCharlie View Post
    Will they renew an old one? I had one issued in 2009, but would need to get the address changed for renewal. Was going to take a drive down to Montrose but don't want to waste my time and will just go to WB if push comes to shove.
    Nope, same applies to renewals or new permits.

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    This burns me. The sheriff has a statutory duty to process applications, and the statutes make no distinction between residents and non-residents in this regard. If they really are so short on manpower that they can't do them they need to hire another person to handle the volume. At $20 per application it's not exactly an unfunded mandate from the legislature.
    Agree, I actually got into an argument telling him PA is a shall issue state and its his job to issue them to both residents and non-residents. He told me he has no duty to issue to non-residents. This is why I said we need a sheriff who is going to do his job.

Quote Originally Posted by BravoCharlie View Post
    Long story as short as I can make it:

Got my first LTCF from Susquehanna County as a New Yorker back in 2009, just had to show them my unrestricted NYS pistol license. Later moved to PA, tried to get one issued by Wyoming County, and was basically told by the Sheriff's office there (and posters here) "Don't waste your money, wait until Susquehanna expires, we don't care if the address is out of date." Got married, took the spouse's name, moved to Luzerne County, so I just applied there as a PA resident with the new name. The out of date address was one thing, but I wasn't willing to carry around a LTCF that had a different name than my drivers license, for obvious reasons. Luzerne issued on the spot, as opposed to Susquehanna, which made me wait a whole four business days before it arrived in the mail.

Got divorced, took back my name, re-located back to NYS. Got my unrestricted NYS pistol license re-issued, so now I need to get my PA LTCF updated to reflect my new situation.

So which is better? Go back to Susquehanna and try to get that license re-issued knowing that they don't want to deal with non-residents, or take the drive down to Wilkes Barre with my divorce papers, NYS drivers license, and NYS pistol license, aiming to get the Luzerne license updated and/or re-issued?

My preference is Susquehanna, because it's an easier drive, but I no longer have that license in my possession (it was one of the old paper ones and didn't survive the washing machine) and don't want to waste the trip to Montrose if they're just going to turn me away. I do still have the Luzerne County license in my possession, and my divorce was done in a PA Court, so hopefully they'd accept the name change at face value without making me jump through a lot of hoops.
    Susquehanna County will not renew your permit. I'd give Luzerne/Lackawanna Sheriffs a call just to double check. This day and age, wasting 4 hours in gas money coming from Binghamton to either Scranton or Wilkes-Barre isn't exactly cheap anymore.

You do have another option, you can fight it, but I'm not sure thats exactly the result you are looking for. Nothing will change with respect to PA sheriffs not issuing to non-residents unless someone challenges their methodology.
    Stay armed my friends.

Information provided by wrangler and twency is correct...

...until 2016, when my LTCF comes up for renewal and I will gain standing to straighten this out in the courts. I wanted to do it sooner, but my wife decided she didn't want to be the test case.

The sheriff has no authority to refuse to process applications. A refusal to process is effectively the same thing as a denial, and the sheriff can only deny for defined reasons. This MUST be straightened out in courts, as this policy is spreading like wildfire along border counties.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast