Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Susquehanna Non-resident LTCF

Quote Originally Posted by wrangler1120 View Post
    Susquehanna County will not renew your permit. I'd give Luzerne/Lackawanna Sheriffs a call just to double check. This day and age, wasting 4 hours in gas money coming from Binghamton to either Scranton or Wilkes-Barre isn't exactly cheap anymore.
    Luzerne states on their webpage that non-residents need to bring their home state LTCF (or equivalent thereof), so presumably they're willing to issue them. I have business in Wilkes Barre on the 20th, so I'll head down early and take care of it then. Until then I've got a Utah CCL I can carry on, plus the PA LTCF with my old name, which is presumably still valid.

You do have another option, you can fight it, but I'm not sure thats exactly the result you are looking for. Nothing will change with respect to PA sheriffs not issuing to non-residents unless someone challenges their methodology.
    I wish I had the money to be the test case. What's the filing fee for the Court of Common Pleas? I'm betting it's more than the three extra gallons of gas I'll burn driving to and from Wilkes Barre....

(Susquehanna County)

They are not accepting non resident in Susquehanna County unless you are primarily employed or own land there. I talked with the Sheriff about this personally, and he said "we just don't have the manpower to process the amount of applications".

He needs to go next time we vote for a sheriff. As far as I know, Luzerne County (WB area) still does them, in fact one of my high school classmates is now the county sheriff there.
    Fat chance, he has not had a challenge since I can remember. Same with the DA, who has not shown himself to be a friend of gun owners with several recent cases involving self defense. Do not trust either one, they are not outright anti's but pay lip service to gun rights to keep their jobs. They pretty much have lifetime jobs in this county.

Susquehanna, like most rural counties is having money difficulties, they need to keep expenses down, and hiring another clerk is not going to happen.

I can see how they would be swamped by out of staters, mostly from neighboring NY, looking for a LTC. But given the rigors folks in NY have to go through to get a Pistol Permit one would think they would take this into consideration. But in my experience PA Public Servants have a great disdain for anything coming out of NY, with good reason.

I did notice, when I recently renewed my license, that the process has been somewhat automated with new equipment that puts your photo right on the license.

Quote Originally Posted by HarmonyHermit View Post
    But in my experience PA Public Servants have a great disdain for anything coming out of NY, with good reason.
    Awww, that hurts my feelings.

I can carry in PA regardless with my Utah license, it's just my preference to have the PA license as it isn't likely to be questioned by a LEO who may or may not be educated on reciprocity.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by BravoCharlie View Post
    Awww, that hurts my feelings.

I can carry in PA regardless with my Utah license, it's just my preference to have the PA license as it isn't likely to be questioned by a LEO who may or may not be educated on reciprocity.
    Double check this, AG Kane has been rewriting the reciprocity rules so only out of state resident permits allow you to carry. So if you are a NY resident wanting to carry on a FL or UT permit, its no longer valid.
    Stay armed my friends.

(York County)

Double check this, AG Kane has been rewriting the reciprocity rules so only out of state resident permits allow you to carry. So if you are a NY resident wanting to carry on a FL or UT permit, its no longer valid.

Your information on Florida is correct.

Your statement on Utah is incorrect, Utah is still good here for non-residents.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by OwnTheRide View Post
    After a less-than-desirable experience at the Bradford County Sheriff's office (see Bradford forum), my friend and I trucked over to Montrose to see if we could apply for our non-resident LTCFs there, since we'd already taken off half the day from work and driven down into PA.

They said they process more permits for people from NY than they do people from PA. Go figure.

Was real simple: fill out the application, get your picture taken, sign the signature pad, pay your $25, then watch the mailbox. No tricks, no BS. I'll add that the folks doing the processing were mighty friendly, too. We got there late due to the mess in Bradford county, but the worker there stayed late to complete the applications.
    Its funny. You were treated more like a human than my own county treats me. Im glad you were able to get things started!

(Susquehanna County)

The issue with Florida came about because of Kane's self described "Florida Loophole" wherein Philadelphia residents denied LTC permits by Nutter's Minions were using Florida Non Resident licenses to carry in PA. The "Florida Loophole" only applies to residents of PA who do not have or are denied PA LTC and try to carry using a Florida Non Resident LTC. It does not affect Non PA residents who have a license in their own state and have a Florida non resident license.

So our friend from Binghamton would be good with a Non Resident Florida LTC if he also has a NYS Pistol Permit. Good luck trying to get that across to the local Barneys here in NE PA !

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by HarmonyHermit View Post
    The issue with Florida came about because of Kane's self described "Florida Loophole" wherein Philadelphia residents denied LTC permits by Nutter's Minions were using Florida Non Resident licenses to carry in PA. The "Florida Loophole" only applies to residents of PA who do not have or are denied PA LTC and try to carry using a Florida Non Resident LTC. It does not affect Non PA residents who have a license in their own state and have a Florida non resident license.

So our friend from Binghamton would be good with a Non Resident Florida LTC if he also has a NYS Pistol Permit
    . Good luck trying to get that across to the local Barneys here in NE PA !
    That's not how I read the PA/FL reciprocity agreement (and notice dated about a week later). It appears that PA only recognizes the validity of FL permits issued to FL residents. There's nothing in there about non-res FL permits being valid for carry in PA.

Memorandum of Agreement 2/1/13
    Notice 2/8/13

The first doc above says (with emphasis added)

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania shall give full faith and credit to a valid Concealed Handgun License issued by the State of Florida to legal residents of the State of Florida; and …
    The notice doesn't appear to change that.
    Last edited by twency; March 18th, 2014 at 12:36 AM. Reason: clarity
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Utah took steps to close the so-called Philadelphia loophole, now they'll only issue to residents of States that recognize their license if the resident holds a license from their home jurisdiction. They'll still issue carte blanche to residents of States that don't recognize Utah's license, so a New Yorker can get it without having a NYS Pistol License, but a Pennsylvanian can't get it unless he has a PA LTCF.

The so-called Philadelphia loophole has been a legitimate problem in other jurisdictions, ones that can't be easily dismissed as anti-gun. Louisiana passed a law mandating that Louisianans carry on their home state licenses, because people there were using other licenses to duck LA's modest (36 rounds live fire, classroom instruction on their use of force laws) training requirement.

I know LA's story because I'm a part year resident there, but I've heard similar stories from other pro-gun jurisdictions.

Regarding "Barney Fife", I've only had one interaction with a LEO in NEPA, pulled over by Olyphant PD over an illegal right-on-red at 2am, and he gave me no issues whatsoever over my Utah (didn't have PA then) CCL. Your experiences may vary, but I'd be more concerned about issues in Philadelphia than I would be in NEPA. Frankly I think the guy who pulled me over was just happy that I was sober and couldn't have cared less about my firearm. Only time I've ever gotten a pass after being pulled over, he didn't even run my license.

Philly is the real reason why I want a PA LTCF, rather than carrying on Utah, plus the fact that it's so cheap and easy to get there's no real reason NOT to have it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12