Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Do you have to say drop it or I'll

If you were in a store, but out of sight of the front door, and the bad guy comes in with a gun and says to the cashier, give me your money or I will kill you. You hear what is going on and can make the shot, do you just take the shot? Or are we required to be PC like the cops on tv and say drop the gun.
    Last night on the news there was a guy with a rifle who shot a cop in the eye, the whole thing was on his dash cam, the cop keep telling the BG to drop the gun. I will just take my shot, will you?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Do you have to say drop it or I'll

shoot

hope it's not a 14 year old kid with a bb gun. Not that it wouldn't be justified, but the $hit will hit the fan.

(Jefferson County)

You aren't required to say anything, nor are the police required to say anything. If someone's life or limb is on the line, having to give "fair warning" goes out the window.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bedford County)

Jshwaks rule - If your life is legitimately in danger, then giving a verbal warning and the legal ramifications (of anything) will be the last thing on your mind. SD situation are a life and death scenario, legal repercussions are an afterthought (in a REAL scenario). The only goal is surviving to see your family once again.
    I am not a lawyer !!

(Montgomery County)

Technically, if you are out of sight, the robber is focused on the store workers. So you wouldn't be in immediate danger.

You'd be shooting from behind him or from the side, possibly putting the store workers in the line of fire.

So, just hearing this is robbery or some type of demands to that affect, and seeing a weapon. Do you just draw and start blasting. Or wait until they notice you?

Real question I guess is. Do you try and be the hero. Or watch your own a$$?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerryg View Post
    Last night on the news there was a guy with a rifle who shot a cop in the eye, the whole thing was on his dash cam, the cop keep telling the BG to drop the gun. I will just take my shot, will you?
    I think this is the video....

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=032_1302206700
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

i've wondered similar since i'm pretty sure the law provides for you to act in other people's self defense.

at a flea market the other day, people were robbed and pistol whipped, at a gas station, again a robbery with weapon.
    if you were a carrying bystander... what to do....

Quote Originally Posted by Pkspawn View Post
    Technically, if you are out of sight, the robber is focused on the store workers. So you wouldn't be in immediate danger.

You'd be shooting from behind him or from the side, possibly putting the store workers in the line of fire.

So, just hearing this is robbery or some type of demands to that affect, and seeing a weapon. Do you just draw and start blasting. Or wait until they notice you?

Real question I guess is. Do you try and be the hero. Or watch your own a$$?

Are you saying you are not allowed to use deadly force if you fear someone else is at risk of death, serious bodily injury, or rape? That's what it sounds like you are saying.
    I'll vote for Romney when he promises not to run in 2016.

(Pike County)

Tough one. But of course, I thought about it many times. No answer, though. You are not in the immediate danger behind the shelves and out of the sight, so "ability, opportunity and jeopardy" rule doesn't really apply. If you shoot an unsuspected robber (assuming it's a robbery and not the cashier's classmate's stupid prank) then with liberal DA you might have problem justifying it. And if you'll call the actor so he'll turn to you and put your life in jeopardy... well, it will be just tactically stupid.

I was very close to walking onto a Starbucks armed robbery in the City last year, but I guess I was saved by the Force. I just decided to stay in the office for 20 more minutes, which happens maybe once a year, so when I approached the shop it was over and the perp was on the ground and cuffed. But that "what would I do" thought is always there. I guess I'll just play it by ear if something like that happens one day, god forbid.
    Je suis déplorable

(Allegheny County)

Often times a DA or a jury will be the ones who decide the answer to your question - after the fact.

When it comes to "defensive" shoots, I think it swings both ways in real life. People do things they are not "allowed" to do, yet aren't charged, and then there are people who are clearly within the law, who ARE charged with something.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast