Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Value and quirks of 2010 Sig 226

I'm new to the site. I am a retired federal agent (not BATF, FBI or SS). I carried a Sig P228 9mm on duty at first. Later the agency went to Sig P239.

I just purchased a 2010 Sig 226. It came with the case, lock and six (6) fifteen round magazines. I am curious as to what the going price is and if this particular firearm has any quirks.

Thank You

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Value and quirks of 2010 Sig 226

depends on the model

a basic one i think is 850ish

a used one is about 550-600 in good condtion, magazines new are about 40-50 each and a new sig only comes with 2 magazines i believe.

(Cumberland County)

I remember hearing late last year that sig would only be shipping one mag with each basic pistol. The custom shop and "tactical" models come with a few more IIRC
    The Beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by jachrist View Post
    I remember hearing late last year that sig would only be shipping one mag with each basic pistol. The custom shop and "tactical" models come with a few more IIRC
    They went from like 3 to 1 to 2. My p229 dark elite came with 2 mags and that was purchased last summer / fall. The only guns that came with more that I know of were a few special runs and the "tactical" models (blackwater and whatever the new ones are called that come with 4 mags). Prior to my purchase, sig had just switched back to including more than 1 mag.... which they should... because they are selling a pretty damn expensive gun to begin with... and mags aren't cheap (though I'm sure they get them really cheap from mecgar).

(Allegheny County)

I wouldnt go near a current production Sig.
    http://www.firearmstrainingandtactic...ead.php?t=1006

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by PSUfan1 View Post
    ... and mags aren't cheap (though I'm sure they get them really cheap from mecgar).
    Sig is getting them even cheaper nowadays, since their new OEM magazine supplier is Check Mate.

The new Check Mate mags that I have seen have a lighter, dull, matte gray finish, as opposed to the dark, blued or phosphate (either shiny or dull, depending upon vintage) finish of the Mec-Gar's.

The reports I have read on the Check mate mags have been spotty. Whereas with the Mec-Gar mags, you rarely ever heard of any magazine-related issues...

Regards,

Bones
    Last edited by JoeyBones; April 8th, 2011 at 06:03 PM. Reason: typo

Sig was replacing Checkmate mags with Mec Gars for those having problems. Not sure if that is still going on, but I'm wondering how long Checkmate will last as a supplier if Sig keeps getting complaints.

The classic (P) Sigs always came with two mags (except for the special models like the Blackwater). When they introduced the P250 it was decided to go with one mag for that gun only, so as to have a more competitive price point.

When the Obama binge buying was at its height, the mag supplier (Mec Gar at that point) couldn't keep up with demand and Sig had guns they couldn't ship because they were short mags, so the decision was made to only include one mag.

There was quite a hue & cry about that decision and once the supplier got caught-up, Sig went back to supplying two mags with each P-series classic and the 1911's.

There were some guns designated "G" models (I assume for government) that came with three mags standard. These guns had a "G" after the model number; i.e. 220R-45-BSS G

Adios,

Pizza Bob
    NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

I just sold a 2010 Sig 226 Tactical Operations in .40 cal. because I have gone over to all single action pistols. I did not shoot it very much but I thought the fit and finish of the gun were very good and consistent with my 220 and 229 that I also recently sold which were older. I don't know if your gun has the Short Reset Trigger but if it doesn't you may want to send the gun back to Sig to have the Short Reset Trigger upgrade installed. I also know Sig offers a factory trigger job for about $100.00 that is supposed to significantly lighten the double action pull and also lighten the single action pull.

The mags that came with my 220 and 229 were quality pieces that I never thought twice about. You might want to do some range testing on your mags that you will count on when you carry. I did not think that the mags that came with my 226 were of the same quality.
    Last edited by Wilson Guy; April 9th, 2011 at 07:50 PM.