Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Latrobe/Derry area sportsmans clubs?

I move here from butler almost five years ago. I recently added a rifle to my collection and I have been looking for a place to shoot. I love to fish and would be so happy to have a pond to use. I have tried some clubs in my area and have found it very difficult to even to be considered, being as most of my friends and family are from my home town(saxonburg PA). I work full time and take care of my family. Id really like a place to go on the weekends to enjoy the outdoors and shoot targets.
    Im trying to find somewhere that me, my wife and daughter can go, to fish, shoot and be welcome. By not knowing alot of people in my area, I seem to have very few options. I have offered to meet with the presidents of a couple clubs in the hopes of being considered. None will agree unless I can say I know somebody in their club, which I dont.
    Is there anything I can do? Anywhere I can try?

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Latrobe/Derry area sportsmans clubs?

Take a look at my thread about clubs , Not that close but Your not that far away either Just off Rt 30 a small piece. May be just what your looking for. PM me if you have any questions.

Tim

(Westmoreland County)

Burrell Twp Rod and Gun near Blairsville has everything your asking for. It's just off 119 north of Blairsville about 3 or 4 miles look for DeVinny road on the right. Follow Devinny straight back goes to the range. They have membership apps. at the club house and the rifle range. If you want PM me and we can make arrangements to go look the place over.

(Westmoreland County)

I am also looking for places to shoot around Latrobe area. Heard that kingston club has a range but don't care for the location...a lot of hunters use the area so I don't want to disturb them out there. Any suggestions?

(Westmoreland County)

I just joined the Slovak Club...that have a range and hunting grounds out by Keystone Lake.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Westmoreland County)

Smile Re: Latrobe/Derry area sportsmans clubs?

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    I just joined the Slovak Club...that have a range and hunting grounds out by Keystone Lake.
    Hey man, this is boomsick42 from saiga12. Its nice to see my post is still alive after a year. I saw the email that you posted on this thread. I was like, hey I know rocketfoot! Glad to hear you got in. Its nice having a place to shoot.

Happy to say Ive had success since I posted this thread.

Here goes... I went to libbys bar one night and talked to the bartender about just this topic. He pointed me to a guy a couple seats down at the bar. He was a charter member at the kingston club. We talked for a while and he agreed to sign my application to join there. A week later I applied and a couple months later I was a member. Just that easy.

His name is gary (for what its worth) and he did me a huge favor. Now I have a place to shoot whenever I want and a pretty nice bar to have a beer afterwards.

I cant say enough how appreciative I am. This man went on my word that im a decent person, and thats rare these days. The world needs more good folk like him.

(Westmoreland County)

That's awesome! It is tough to get into clubs anymore! You have to "know" someone!

How is Kingston's range? I have never been there.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    That's awesome! It is tough to get into clubs anymore! You have to "know" someone!

How is Kingston's range? I have never been there.
    Its nothing special, but its good enough. There is a target stand at 25, 50, and 100. They are probably 10 feet wide and 6feet tall. There is a covered shooting area with two benches per station. Its maintained pretty well and has sandbags and an adjustable rifle rest to use.

Theres a no rapid fire rule which is fine and understandable, since there are houses within earshot. But once I saw a long time member rippin shots off with his semi auto rifle, I figured I could too, rarely.

All in all its a good place, and the folk that run it are good people.

(Westmoreland County)

Ive been living out in Derry/Blairsville for the last 5 years or so and have never had a place to shoot. I used to live on bank street (the road right beside libbys bar that you spoke of). When i want to shoot i usually travel back to my parents in Slippery Rock which is almost a 2 hour drive. I would love to get into a spot around here locally that i could go out and shoot my pistols and have a 100 yard spot to sight my deer rifle in each season. I dont do a ton of shooting but when i get the urge i always have to make an entire day trip to go let off a couple. How do i get in??