Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feel bad ... ?

(Berks County)

Default Feel bad ... ?

Does anyone else feel bad, like I do?

I try as hard as I can to buy my guns, ammo, magazines, etc at my local dealer. In fact I try so hard that every time I go in, I walk out with something. Even if it means just 1 box of ammo or a cheap magazine.

In the past I never had issues ordering guns through them, they have always been competitive, maybe not as cheap but close enough to online dealers after you figure in the transfer that would otherwise be necessary.

However, as of late I'm seeing a $70-150 difference in a few firearms I'm looking at. I feel so guilty ordering from the online dealers and then having them sent to my FFL, almost like it's a slap in his face. But that's a decent amount of change.

Anyone else feel like this? I know he has over head, that demands for retailers is somewhat high, etc - but then again I have bills too.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Feel bad ... ?

Why do you feel guilty for taking advantage of a lower price elsewhere? That's the nature of capitalism.

Maximize the return value for your money.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Fayette County)

I'm with you. I will however pick up a used gun at a "okay" price from the local shops here/there. Although I found a local place that competes on a lot of guns. "Pfrogners" south of Pittsburgh. The new guns are competitively priced with online retailers. They even had a gun held for me for a week or so before I could get down to check it out.

It's better than going into Gander Mountain to look at a 2nd Gen G19 in the used case for $495, and a sale on all new glocks at $499 a few months back. Hilarious...

(Luzerne County)

Honestly I buy more guns then I do ammo. I still have a bunch of ammo from when it was cheap.

I deal with one shop. This shop gives me really good prices. And they generally knock something off of the price with out me asking. But I generally buy 5 to 7 guns a year from them.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Allegheny County)

Some local shops are asking $12.99 give or take for 9mm FMJ. Or I can get the same stuff for $8.99 a box online. The choice is pretty clear there, even with shipping. Firearms though, I prefer to handle what I'm buying most times, and will browse local shops in hopes of finding what I'm looking for at a good price. However, most shops close to me are getting a little out there on new gun prices, especially compared to online sources like Buds. I'm pretty much done buying new guns for now, but buy ammo weekly, and local shops haven't seen a dime of my ammo budget, and I don't feel bad about that at all considering their pricing...

(Allegheny County)

Do I feel guilty for giving a gun shop $30 for doing nothing but receiving a package? No. I'm often getting skunked on finding certain guns so I've asked shop owners if they would get any extra money if I ordered through them instead of ordering online, and they shrugged and said it doesn't matter.
    I don't buy guns online because of the price, I buy them because of the rarity. If I had the money I'd start a shop called "Guns for the rest of us" and primarily sell a selection of Mavericks, Mosins, SKSs, Rugers, and other $70-$450 guns. Those are the hardest to find and most overpriced around here.

Default Feel bad? No Way ! ! !

My former Best Go To Gun Store has a $30, standard FFL transfer fee. I bought a "take-off" T/C Encore action on G.B., and was going to transfer it via him. When I called to set up arrival of the pkg. he said that the fee would now be $50, because he could've gotten the same action for me, through his store. He didn't ask all-about what the item was, but just dinged me for a higher transfer fee. Like some others here, I never walk into a gun store without cash, intending to buy something ... anything ... just to leave a good feeling between me and he owner. Well, I'd never been told that he would charge more on certain transfers. My "good feelings" disappeared. I felt tattooed. And I transferred through another dealer, ½-hr. away. His std fee is $20, for one transfer, and $10 for each transfer thereafter, all on the same phone call in one day. He's now my Go To Gun Store. I generally hit 7 or 8 shops in my week-end circuits to buy stuff, and "former" Best shop is always first and last visited. I told the owner how I felt, but in an interest of him staying in business, I'd drop in, but not always buy something. He still will seek out things he has been told I will buy, at a good set price, but I don't usually break a $20 in his store. The shop with the good-attitude is in the same zip-code as the V.A. hospital I frequently visit. He also "shops" for me. A simple attitude problem has cost my "Former" shop a ton of money since he jerked my chain. Wise Up, you dealers out there. L1S1
    Last edited by LongOneShortOne; April 5th, 2011 at 09:37 PM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Feel bad? No Way ! ! !

Guess it's the personal connection I have with the guys that work there. Money is money and times are tough guess I'm going to bite the bullet and have the guns I'm looking at sent to his shop.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Feel bad? No Way ! ! !

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    Guess it's the personal connection I have with the guys that work there. Money is money and times are tough guess I'm going to bite the bullet and have the guns I'm looking at sent to his shop.
    I say just do it, Hes getting the transfer fee out of you, thats why they offer that service in the first place.

I go to a few different shops only because I havn't made my way up to tanners yet.
    <-Click For My Youtube [Don't waive your rights with your flags. -Sage Francis]

(Allegheny County)

Cool Re: Feel bad ... ?

I get 'em off my friends at PAFOA! And when I do order, I just get lowers - through local private FFL's, who are $30 - $55 CHEAPER on transfers, than my favorite fun shop!

What da' fun shop don't know, won't hurt 'em.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast