Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

Default Re: FFL transfer fees???

Of two local dealers, one quoted me $30 and one quoted me $75. Has the buying "frenzy" given dealers the urge to raise the fee? If I make the on-line purchase, I'll be going with the $30 guy. I was looking at a Tokarev for $239 so an extra $75 really ups the price (Over $300 for a tokarev a haven't even seen in "B" condition doesn't sound like a good move). I'm going to the Eagle Arms show at Split rock next month and hope to find a Tok there.

Does anyone know if the recent Eagle Arms shows have had a decent "crate" selection of nagant revolvers? I'm feeling in the mood for one of those too, but not for an extra $75!
    ...and they have a plan...

(Philadelphia County)

I haven't bought any new guns since the late 90's but last year I started shopping again and buying up ammo especially during the riots, fires, & looting (I mean peaceful protests). I went to Tanner's Sporting Goods in Jamison, PA (35 miles away) because frankly they were the only place in the Philadelphia area that had any selection. I bought 2 pistols on two seperate occasions and paid $10 each time for the transfer/background checks. SCORE!
    A few weeks later I purchased another from Surplus City Guns in Feasterville, PA and there I was only charged $5 for the transfer/background check. SCORE AGAIN!
    Granted that was super cheap but I also spent premium money for the weapons so they were'nt gonna rake me over the coals for the fee too. Now to present time (in the past few weeks) I did a trade deal and didn't want to travel too far just to do the transfer so I called around the Philly Gun Shops & FFL's for pricing and about half of places in the city won't even do private transfers (because they don't make any money). Another 45% or so of Philly & suburb shops charge anywhere from $40 upwards to $89 at Suburbon Armory last week.
    Good news is, I did find another great place to purchase & transfer all my weapons... Stars and Stripes Tactical in West Chester, PA., they have a good selection and pricing is reasonable and only charge $25 for transfers.
    Sad part of this story is I heard from people that it only costs $2 for the transfer and anything over that is for the shop. That's one helleva markup!!!
    Here's a link to a post I found about fees in this forum but I am not sure how updated the Bill/Law is https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=6710

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by HvyTrucker View Post
    I haven't bought any new guns since the late 90's but last year I started shopping again and buying up ammo especially during the riots, fires, & looting (I mean peaceful protests). I went to Tanner's Sporting Goods in Jamison, PA (35 miles away) because frankly they were the only place in the Philadelphia area that had any selection. I bought 2 pistols on two seperate occasions and paid $10 each time for the transfer/background checks. SCORE!
    A few weeks later I purchased another from Surplus City Guns in Feasterville, PA and there I was only charged $5 for the transfer/background check. SCORE AGAIN!
    Granted that was super cheap but I also spent premium money for the weapons so they were'nt gonna rake me over the coals for the fee too. Now to present time (in the past few weeks) I did a trade deal and didn't want to travel too far just to do the transfer so I called around the Philly Gun Shops & FFL's for pricing and about half of places in the city won't even do private transfers (because they don't make any money). Another 45% or so of Philly & suburb shops charge anywhere from $40 upwards to $89 at Suburbon Armory last week.
    Good news is, I did find another great place to purchase & transfer all my weapons... Stars and Stripes Tactical in West Chester, PA., they have a good selection and pricing is reasonable and only charge $25 for transfers.
    Sad part of this story is I heard from people that it only costs $2 for the transfer and anything over that is for the shop. That's one helleva markup!!!
    Here's a link to a post I found about fees in this forum but I am not sure how updated the Bill/Law is https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=6710
    You know: this thread started in 2007? I imagine these places are charging 100 bucks now. Inflation.

(Monroe County)

The cost depends on the background check.
    But a taxable handgun is the most at $5.

I may not have that big and beautiful shop, but that's why I don't charge extra for the check if you buy from me and my transfers are only $20.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Berks County)

For the time they have to put into a transfer, I find $35 to be reasonable, if not a good deal. It would be nice if it could be included in the sale if the gun is bought from them
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    For the time they have to put into a transfer, I find $35 to be reasonable, if not a good deal. It would be nice if it could be included in the sale if the gun is bought from them
    Yeah, I never liked the tacking on of the $5 transfer fee. Just include it in the price. Seems kinda tacky to me. There's places here that do it and I don't avoid them or anything because of it, just would prefer it the other way. Usually I just ask what their best price out the door is? I like just a nice round number with tax and everything included in the price.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by R L Suehr View Post
    Yeah, I never liked the tacking on of the $5 transfer fee. Just include it in the price. Seems kinda tacky to me. There's places here that do it and I don't avoid them or anything because of it, just would prefer it the other way. Usually I just ask what their best price out the door is? I like just a nice round number with tax and everything included in the price.
    If they displayed the OTD price, people would scoff and say it's too much. It's advertising psychology... its not $100, it's $99!

(York County)

I always include the transfer fee for any gun purchased from me. private party transfers are $40 because:

1. I make no money on a private party transfer (only the seller makes money on the deal) or internet transfer
    2. PICS is slow as hell and sometimes it takes hours for it to go through
    3. I am responsible for that paperwork and serial number for 25 years

I had many internet transfers take 3 hours or more and when you break down the transfer fee into the time spent logging in, logging out, dealing the PICS website, etc. it comes out to less than minimum wage. im sure no one wants to punch the clock for $8 per hour and neither do i. also something to think about is when you get a denial and then get a subpoena to show up in court for that denial. now that measly $40 turns into a pain in the ass. the guys charging $20 or less for a transfer are losing money on the deal and/or just haven't been screwed over yet. people that think a $40 or $50 transfer fee is steep obviously dont know how much time is invested in the process. its not as simple as 5 minutes and done.

All said and done MD average transfers run 50-75 bucks. Another reason to leave MD......

bluestone firearms in yorkana PA does a straight $20 transfer...also just wanted to be part of this 14 year old post

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast