Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Indiana County)

Default LTCF Expiration 60-day Heads Up

The good news: Indiana County appears to be up-to-snuff on giving a licensee the 60-day warning. I received a postcard notification April 2nd; it expires June 6th. Plus, one can fill out the application on-line before printing it out and bringing it in. Oh, the application form is the current SP 4-127 form.

The bad news: You can see what the Indiana County Sheriff calls the renewal notification.

And, on his website (http://www.countyofindiana.org/sheriff/Firearms.htm), he states the following:

New applicants must include the name, address and phone number of two references that are not immediate family members. References must be Indiana County residence for at least three (3) years and have known the applicant for at least three (3) years.
    I'm assuming renewals do not require references? Yes, I know the residency requirement appears to be illegal. I'll see if I can speak to someone about that when I go down to renew.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: LTCF Expiration 60-day Heads Up

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    The good news: Indiana County appears to be up-to-snuff on giving a licensee the 60-day warning.
    Statute requires more than a "warning".
    (f) Term of license.—

(1) A license to carry a firearm issued under subsection (e) shall be valid throughout this Commonwealth for a period of five years unless extended under paragraph (3) or sooner revoked.

(2) At least 60 days prior to the expiration of each license, the issuing sheriff shall send to the licensee an application for renewal of license. Failure to receive a renewal application shall not relieve a licensee from the responsibility to renew the license.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Somerset County)

I'm assuming renewals do not require references? Yes, I know the residency requirement appears to be illegal. I'll see if I can speak to someone about that when I go down to renew.
    I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure you do need references when you renew, although I have a couple years left before I have to renew.

As for the residency requirement, as far as I know that is'nt true either and they do not have to be from the county, but the sherrifs tell you they need to be your county's residents.

(Lehigh County)

The good news: Indiana County appears to be up-to-snuff on giving a licensee the 60-day warning. I received a postcard notification April 2nd; it expires June 6th. Plus, one can fill out the application on-line before printing it out and bringing it in. Oh, the application form is the current SP 4-127 form.

The bad news: You can see what the Indiana County Sheriff calls the renewal notification.

And, on his website (http://www.countyofindiana.org/sheriff/Firearms.htm), he states the following:

If you speak to them, ask why they aren't in compliance with this as well.

Emphasis added.

Edit: Ah, others beat me to it.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109

(2) At least 60 days prior to the expiration of each license, the issuing sheriff shall send to the licensee an application for renewal of license. Failure to receive a renewal application shall not relieve a licensee from the responsibility to renew the license.
    Oh, and this could be interesting to bring up:

Given that the Pennsylvania State Police, the Pennsylvania Commission on Crime and Delinquency, and the Pennsylvania Sheriffs' Association all acknowledge that the application process is to be standardized, as required by law, how is it then that he assumes any authority to change the reference "requirements" to other than what the PSP has made (not family members) by imposing restrictions on their residency and time familiar with the applicant.

(Montgomery County)

I would think that the post card would violate the confidentiality located in 6111.
    i) Confidentiality.-- All information provided by the potential purchaser, transferee or applicant, including, but not limited to, the potential purchaser, transferee or applicant's name or identity, furnished by a potential purchaser or transferee under this section or any applicant for a license to carry a firearm as provided by section 6109 shall be confidential and not subject to public disclosure. In addition to any other sanction or penalty imposed by this chapter, any person, licensed dealer, State or local governmental agency or department that violates this subsection shall be liable in civil damages in the amount of $1,000 per occurrence or three times the actual damages incurred as a result of the violation, whichever is greater, as well as reasonable attorney fees.
    The 2A does not GIVE us the right. It tells the gov they can not INFRINGE our right.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by kadar View Post
    I would think that the post card would violate the confidentiality located in 6111.
    yes, this is very interesting. I mean that info that is supposed to be confidential is on the postcard for whoever to read.

Of course it would mostly be people at the USPS, still it falls short of "confidential". (and a spouse may want the info private from the other, etc.)

So, getting a postcard could be like winner $1000 from the State???
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?