Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Best Shooting Techniques?

Hey everyone, Just had a range trip yesterday and took out the ole' .270. I was shooting pretty good, given the fact this is the first time i got to go out this year. While shooting I noticed some things i never really noticed before. One was the inability to get the crosshairs from moving off target. I take a full breath and let half out. That usually steadies it pretty well, For my hands/arms i usually have my right hand (Trigger Hand) on the pistol grip. Mean while i tuck my left arm/hand around the bottom of the butt. Which usually gives me a very stable shooting position. Then when it comes to the trigger pull I usually squeeze till the rifle fires. But from yesterday i noticed that im anticipating the recoil/noise which is giving me a flinch . Then afterwards i let the barrel cool down and sometimes run a boresnake down it to keep it clean. (I checked the scope and it is still tightly secured to my mounts, Scope being used is a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 on a Browning A-Bolt W/ BOSS System.)What advice can you guys give me so i can help improve the accuracy of my shots. I was planning on balancing a quarter on top of the barrel and practicing my trigger pull. Any tips on my stance, breathing, or trigger pull would be Greatly appreciated! Also i double up on ear protection, Plugs + muffs. Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by BandanaBandit1; April 3rd, 2011 at 01:13 PM.
    Dont Forget To Give Me Some Good Rep! Thanks!

(Somerset County)

Default Re: Best Shooting Techniques?

A good cure for a flinch is range time with a 22LR.

Dale

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by BandanaBandit1 View Post
    Hey everyone, Just had a range trip yesterday and took out the ole' .270. I was shooting pretty good, given the fact this is the first time i got to go out this year. While shooting I noticed some things i never really noticed before. One was the inability to get the crosshairs from moving off target. I take a full breath and let half out. That usually steadies it pretty well, For my hands/arms i usually have my right hand (Trigger Hand) on the pistol grip. Mean while i tuck my left arm/hand around the bottom of the butt. Which usually gives me a very stable shooting position. Then when it comes to the trigger pull I usually squeeze till the rifle fires. But from yesterday i noticed that im anticipating the recoil/noise which is giving me a flinch . Then afterwards i let the barrel cool down and sometimes run a boresnake down it to keep it clean. (I checked the scope and it is still tightly secured to my mounts, Scope being used is a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 on a Browning A-Bolt W/ BOSS System.)What advice can you guys give me so i can help improve the accuracy of my shots. I was planning on balancing a quarter on top of the barrel and practicing my trigger pull. Any tips on my stance, breathing, or trigger pull would be Greatly appreciated! Also i double up on ear protection, Plugs + muffs. Thanks everyone!
    Are you talking about a standing position or sitting, or prone or what?

Tips:

*Cut back on the coffee (if applicable)
    *Try using a sling to steady your arm. (if prone)
    *Dial back the power of your scope (if possible)
    * Practice, practice.

* cheat, move closer to the target ( just kidding)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(Cambria County)

Talking Re: Best Shooting Techniques?

Go to this page:

http://www.fredsm14stocks.com/rifle.asp?ITEM=2

About half way down it says "COMMON FIRING LINE ERRORS "

Read # 2

Read # 8

Actually there is a lot of good stuff if you care to read it all.

Happy shooting!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by CenterTree View Post
    Are you talking about a standing position or sitting, or prone or what?

Tips:

*Cut back on the coffee (if applicable)
    *Try using a sling to steady your arm. (if prone)
    *Dial back the power of your scope (if possible)
    * Practice, practice.

* cheat, move closer to the target ( just kidding)
    Good advice this ^^^
    also, if you chew tobacco that may be giving you the jitters.

I would add to the shooting a .22lr for cheap no recoil practice, try dry fire practice too.....it is even cheaper than .22lr ammo!

Maybe even attend an Appleseed event. Even an old gun can learn something there.

(Allegheny County)

I was sitting shooting off a seady bench. No caffeine, tobacco, or any other stimulant.
    Dont Forget To Give Me Some Good Rep! Thanks!

(Centre County)

Bullseye competition shooters (handgun) know that you can never keep the sights from wandering. Don't try to you'll only get frustrated. However, what you can do is what they do, set up a movement that you can replicate each time. Some used a D movement, some use a figure 8. The letting half a breath out is good to do but don't wait too long to pull the trigger or you will get even more movement because of holding your breath. Get the pattern you want to use, and be squeezing the trigger as the sights move. You want the hammer to fall as the scope crosshairs are just coming to the center of the target. For a D movement, some do a straight D (start at top left side, go to curved part of D and then up the straight part with hammer falling at midpoint of the straight part of the D), some use a reverse D and come down to the center (start at the lower left part of the D, go up the curved part and down the straight part). For the figure 8 same thing, either come up to the crossover point or down to the crossover point of the 8 (the center of the target is at the crossover point).

Don't forget, the farther the target is the more pronounced the movement will seem to be, especially with high magnification scopes.

You might also want to look for some military training manuals that are used for teaching off hand precision long distance shooting.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Pike County)

If your body/position is properly aligned with the target, then crosshairs should only move vertically withing your breathing (I'll take the flat 8 out of the equation for now). But it will move. The (part of the) point is finding the proper sight alignment with the target pretty much after you exhaled and technically steady for the very few seconds. 3-5 seconds, usually, because that's when the oxygen deficiency kicks and gives you tremors, if you hold your breath for longer.
    Je suis déplorable