Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Perry County)

Default Re: .50 Caliber Restrictions on Game Land Ranges

Quote Originally Posted by Maxie17 View Post
    I guess I missed Dredly's reply. You are stating that .50 cals are banned for noise levels? Where can I find that rule printed in hard copy??
    Dredly, means that the reason that the big guns get banned from clubs has to to with noise, not that the GC actually banned them because of noise.
    It's all fun and games, til someone shoots your bobber!

(Monroe County)

There is no caliber restriction as far as I know. TL posted the regulations and neither he nor myself found anything stating otherwise.

If the game commission comes by or gets a call about you shooting a .50 cal rifle, of barret type, you may be asked to leave because the noise is so loud. They are in their rights to ask you to do so. There is also a chance that nobody will come, none of the range participants will care, as they will likely be watching you going, "wowwwww", or if a game warden shows up he might ask to put a round down range.

Use your discretion. At a packed range, it's probably not worth the hassle. If you can get there on a mid week day and nobody is there to throw a hissy fit, shoot away. Just know that residents around these ranges are used to the gun fire, however if they hear something out of the ordinary they may report it, so you might expect a visit.

With that type of rifle, you'd be better off finding a private range that allows it and can accomodate you shooting out beyond 500 yards, or private land where you can do the same. Just check the local ordinances to make sure you are not in any violation when shooting on private land, and of course you will need the land owners permission. Also, common sense, but make sure you have a damned good back stop, ie, the side of a mountain/massive hill.

As far as clubs banning loud toys, they have the right to do so. I know the treasurer of a well established private club that's been around for almost a century out by me. He explained to me that the range had virtually no restrictions until one day he got a call that something was wrong at the range, and was heading there to meet the state police. Some guy had a .50cal mg, and was blasting full auto all over the range at 8 in the morning. At that point, alot of restrictions were written up in a new policy. The noise had scared the shit out of all the residents who were well used to the gun fire from the range.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

The only problem I ever ran into at SGL 127 was ammunition!

You need to stick with expanding type ammo so you are limited to A-MAX or Barnes. You can get creative with FMJ, a scale, a set of calipers and a file but thats a choice for you to make. Stay away from FMJ,AP,API etc etc. if the neighbors call about noise and they catch you shooting anything but expanding? Then they break out the cite. book!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by MaDuece View Post
    The only problem I ever ran into at SGL 127 was ammunition!

You need to stick with expanding type ammo so you are limited to A-MAX or Barnes. You can get creative with FMJ, a scale, a set of calipers and a file but thats a choice for you to make. Stay away from FMJ,AP,API etc etc. if the neighbors call about noise and they catch you shooting anything but expanding? Then they break out the cite. book!
    Why do you say no FMJ? From § 135.181 posted above:

(b) Prohibited acts. At a rifle and handgun range located on land under Commission ownership, lease or jurisdiction, except when authorized by the appropriate regional director or a designee for military or law enforcement training, it is unlawful to:
    (3) Discharge armor piercing, incendiary, explosive, tracer or multiple projectile ammunition.
    IANAL

I never heard of the expanding only bullets. all i remember seeing was ap/tracer/incendiary. ball was ok.
    FJB

(Monroe County)

yeah thanks for clarifying in regards to the .50 and larger, there are no restrictions as far as I know at public ranges but I know a lot of private ones banned them due to the loud noise and neighbor complaints.... when you hear a .50 BMG go off it sounds nothing like a hunting rifle :P

FMJ are perfectly legal
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Well thank's all for your thoughts and expert advice, I feel better now as to how I will deal with the .50 calib. issue. Like I said I'm new to the ranges around here and don't want to step on any toes.

Well the statute does say no armor piercing rounds, aren't 50bmg fmj designed for that?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazee View Post
    Well the statute does say no armor piercing rounds, aren't 50bmg fmj designed for that?
    no...
    they will penetrate some steel (under 3/4") though. AP will penetrate well over 1" AR steel.
    FJB

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12