Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default SIG P238 Review (Sort of long, but with a few pics) ..

I recently purchased a SIG P238 in the "Gambler" edition (After 12 weeks of waiting on a "Liberty" edition, I opted for the in-stock Gambler and moved on, but that's a whole other story ...). This past weekend, I finally had a chance to shoot it and thought I would pass along my reaction to those who might be interested or considering this gun.

By way of background, I consider myself a novice shooter. I only began firing pistols regularly about a year ago, but I do tend to shoot quite a few rounds these days (about 200-400 a week on average), so I'm learning. I currently own a Kimber Ultra CDP II (.45 ACP) and a S&W M&P 9mm. I also recently owned (for about 2 weeks) a S&W Bodyguard (.380 ACP), and have been in possession of my father in law's Beretta Tomcat (.32 ACP) while I try to break it in for him (more on that little beast later). Thus, my experience while short in duration, is reasonably varied when it comes to semi-autos.

In sum, I had high expectations for the SIG, and they were mostly met or exceeded. My thoughts on the key aspects for me are as follows:

Trigger Feel. The trigger has a short, crisp pull. It's in no way on par with my Kimber 1911 (nor would I expect it to be), but for a gun this size, it's VERY nice. I think it might be a teeny tad heavy for my liking, but not so heavy it affects accuracy much.

Sights. Bright and easy to find on follow ups. Nicely done SIG. If ever I need it, they glow like crazy in the dark.

Fit in the hand. Well, it's a small framed auto, so it's going to feel a little awkward on the pinkie to some. Just picking it up, it doesn't feel as comfortable as say the Bodyguard on the pinkie. However, it does feel great near the thumb, especially while shooting.

Shooting Feel. Here's where this little gun starts to stand out. The recoil is incredibly light and smooth. I know what you're thinking -- it's a friggin' .380, OF COURSE the recoil is light and smooth. True -- no .380 is going to vigorously roll back the hand of any half-grown man (or most women and children for that matter), but compared to the Bodyguard and the Tomcat, it's a dream to shoot. The contrast between the SIG and those guns is striking. I was really surprised by the discomfort in shooting the Bodyguard, and downright angry with the Tomcat after about 100 rounds. Emptying a mag from that little .32 ACP beast was like having someone hit me 7 times with a ball peen hammer between the thumb and index finger -- I couldn't WAIT to stop shooting it. The SIG on the other hand, felt like pushing tacks or staples into soft corkboard. Hard to describe -- it was just very smooth and controlled, and comfortable.

Accuracy. In a word, surprising for a gun this size and caliber. I easily hit center mass at 15 yards, and shot groups at 7 yards that I would have a hard time duplicating with my full size M&P (4.25" bbl).

Other considerations.
    I did experience 3 failure to feed's in the 150 round outing. Obviously his failure rate is unacceptable for a CCW application. However, I learned with my Kimber that this can happen during the break in period and completely disappear after a few hundred rounds, so I'm hopeful that's the case. Also, SIG sort of ticks me off with the decision not to include another magazine with a gun with an MSRP that puts it as one of the most expensive in its class. Come on guys, really? You can't throw in a single extra mag? More importantly, however, fully securing the mag into the mag well (to avoid misfeeds) is not as easy as it should be. It's hard enough to secure a flush .45 mag (which is why I like the tac mag extensions on my Kimber) but on the tiny .380, it's a whole other level of not-easy. SIG has figured out a fix for two of my complaints with their new extra round, pinkie extended magazine. However, I can't seem to find one in stock anywhere on the planet. Moreover, I think at least one of them (together with another flush mag) should be included with every P238.

All things considered, I'm very pleased so far. Here's a few pics of my P238:
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Beaver County)

Default Re: SIG P238 Review (Sort of long, but with a few pics) ..

THE SIG 238 IS A FANTASTIC LITTLE GUN. I HAVE THE RAINBOW AND EVERYTHING YOU POSTED WAS RIGHT ON. KNOW THIS, EVERY 400 TO 600 RDS,CHANGE THE RECOIL SPRING IN IT TO KEEP IT FUNCTIONING ON PAR. ALSO KEEP IT REALLY CLEAN AND LUBED....GOOD LUCK.

(Cumberland County)

I want one bad.

I just have no desire to add .380 to an already crowded stable.

Eh, I might do it anyway. What kind of holster is that?
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by joe magarack View Post
    THE SIG 238 IS A FANTASTIC LITTLE GUN. I HAVE THE RAINBOW AND EVERYTHING YOU POSTED WAS RIGHT ON. KNOW THIS, EVERY 400 TO 600 RDS,CHANGE THE RECOIL SPRING IN IT TO KEEP IT FUNCTIONING ON PAR. ALSO KEEP IT REALLY CLEAN AND LUBED....GOOD LUCK.
    Thanks for the heads up on the recoil spring. I wouldn't have thought it necessary that often, but now that you mention it, it makes sense. That spring has probably the "softest" feel on any of my autos, which I guess probably explains for the surprisingly mild recoil.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    I want one bad.

I just have no desire to add .380 to an already crowded stable.

Eh, I might do it anyway. What kind of holster is that?
    The holster is a Holsterpro (www.holsterpro.com) hand made by Paul Vitagliano in New York. I am very pleased with it and am working to have Paul design and build a tuckable IWB for my ultra Kimber similar to a Milt Sparks design.

I have to say that I think you hit the nail right on the head. Mine is just like yours and I have had great experience with it. When I took it out of the box it would occasionally latch when I retracted the slide. I looked it over and realized the small spring under the slide latch had gotten bent and it was forcing the lever out when it would pass the takedown notch. Fixed that and added a set of Horned Lizard grips from Larry Davidson and the 238 has picked up a lot of miles in my pocket. They are nice guns.
    For frantic boast and foolish word, Thy mercy on Thy people, Lord!

Quote Originally Posted by adoddere View Post
    You can't throw in a single extra mag? More importantly, however, fully securing the mag into the mag well (to avoid misfeeds) is not as easy as it should be. It's hard enough to secure a flush .45 mag (which is why I like the tac mag extensions on my Kimber) but on the tiny .380, it's a whole other level of not-easy. SIG has figured out a fix for two of my complaints with their new extra round, pinkie extended magazine. However, I can't seem to find one in stock anywhere on the planet. Moreover, I think at least one of them (together with another flush mag) should be included with every P238.

I answered the first time and then realized I forgot to add something...I have 2 of the 7 round mags with a lip on them. They are marked "SIG" and I got them from CDNN for around $30. each. Mine is easy on the hands while firing also. I have a Tomcat, like you, and hate to fire it. BUT....IF you want real agony: I have an AMT DAO BAckup in .45acp. Firing that creature will cause you to doubt your raising.
    For frantic boast and foolish word, Thy mercy on Thy people, Lord!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by aryfrosty View Post
    IF you want real agony: I have an AMT DAO BAckup in .45acp. Firing that creature will cause you to doubt your raising.
    Man, I can only imagine. Thanks for the heads up on the other mag option -- I'll check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by adoddere View Post
    I recently purchased a SIG P238 in the "Gambler" edition (After 12 weeks of waiting on a "Liberty" edition, I opted for the in-stock Gambler and moved on, but that's a whole other story ...). This past weekend, I finally had a chance to shoot it and thought I would pass along my reaction to those who might be interested or considering this gun.

By way of background, I consider myself a novice shooter. I only began firing pistols regularly about a year ago, but I do tend to shoot quite a few rounds these days (about 200-400 a week on average), so I'm learning. I currently own a Kimber Ultra CDP II (.45 ACP) and a S&W M&P 9mm. I also recently owned (for about 2 weeks) a S&W Bodyguard (.380 ACP), and have been in possession of my father in law's Beretta Tomcat (.32 ACP) while I try to break it in for him (more on that little beast later). Thus, my experience while short in duration, is reasonably varied when it comes to semi-autos.

In sum, I had high expectations for the SIG, and they were mostly met or exceeded. My thoughts on the key aspects for me are as follows:

Trigger Feel. The trigger has a short, crisp pull. It's in no way on par with my Kimber 1911 (nor would I expect it to be), but for a gun this size, it's VERY nice. I think it might be a teeny tad heavy for my liking, but not so heavy it affects accuracy much.

Sights. Bright and easy to find on follow ups. Nicely done SIG. If ever I need it, they glow like crazy in the dark.

Fit in the hand. Well, it's a small framed auto, so it's going to feel a little awkward on the pinkie to some. Just picking it up, it doesn't feel as comfortable as say the Bodyguard on the pinkie. However, it does feel great near the thumb, especially while shooting.

Shooting Feel. Here's where this little gun starts to stand out. The recoil is incredibly light and smooth. I know what you're thinking -- it's a friggin' .380, OF COURSE the recoil is light and smooth. True -- no .380 is going to vigorously roll back the hand of any half-grown man (or most women and children for that matter), but compared to the Bodyguard and the Tomcat, it's a dream to shoot. The contrast between the SIG and those guns is striking. I was really surprised by the discomfort in shooting the Bodyguard, and downright angry with the Tomcat after about 100 rounds. Emptying a mag from that little .32 ACP beast was like having someone hit me 7 times with a ball peen hammer between the thumb and index finger -- I couldn't WAIT to stop shooting it. The SIG on the other hand, felt like pushing tacks or staples into soft corkboard. Hard to describe -- it was just very smooth and controlled, and comfortable.

Accuracy. In a word, surprising for a gun this size and caliber. I easily hit center mass at 15 yards, and shot groups at 7 yards that I would have a hard time duplicating with my full size M&P (4.25" bbl).

Other considerations.
    I did experience 3 failure to feed's in the 150 round outing. Obviously his failure rate is unacceptable for a CCW application. However, I learned with my Kimber that this can happen during the break in period and completely disappear after a few hundred rounds, so I'm hopeful that's the case. Also, SIG sort of ticks me off with the decision not to include another magazine with a gun with an MSRP that puts it as one of the most expensive in its class. Come on guys, really? You can't throw in a single extra mag? More importantly, however, fully securing the mag into the mag well (to avoid misfeeds) is not as easy as it should be. It's hard enough to secure a flush .45 mag (which is why I like the tac mag extensions on my Kimber) but on the tiny .380, it's a whole other level of not-easy. SIG has figured out a fix for two of my complaints with their new extra round, pinkie extended magazine. However, I can't seem to find one in stock anywhere on the planet. Moreover, I think at least one of them (together with another flush mag) should be included with every P238.

Do you have a build date on your 238?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by AlexV View Post
    Do you have a build date on your 238?
    Yep -- It was built January 20, 2011.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast