Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Did you contribute to anti gun organizations?

What kind of computer do you have? Check this out...

http://www.gunblast.com/Dell.htm

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Did you contribute to anti gun organizations?

Quote Originally Posted by wboggs View Post
    What kind of computer do you have? Check this out...

http://www.gunblast.com/Dell.htm

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/g/gundell.htm

Dell Refused to Sell a Computer to a Man Because he Was a Gun maker-Truth! &Fiction!

Summary of the eRumor:
    The message says it is from a gunsmith named Jack Weigland who is upset that an order for a laptop computer to Dell was canceled. He says that after he ordered it and it failed to arrive, he called Dell and was told that the shipment had been canceled by the company because they were concerned that he might use the laptop for illegal purposes. The name of his business is "Weigland Combat Handguns, Inc."

The Truth:
    Jack Weigland is real and he did order a Dell computer on February 13 and did experience cancellation of his order. In a statement from the company, Dell Chairman Michael Dell said the order was canceled to give time to follow up with Weigland and make sure that there were no violations of U.S. Export law, which the company has been very cautious about since September 11. Dell has denied discriminating against any particular kind of business.

Weigland's business name, "Weigland Combat Handguns" raised a flag at Dell and they wanted to check things out before continuing with the order.

Weigland has received an email apology from a supervisor at Dell and an offer to put the order through, but has turned it down, saying he no longer wants to do business with them.

The company's statement said a serious mistake was made and that it does not discriminate against businesses or individuals based on the products they
    make or sell.

For more information: www.jackweigand.com

A real example of the eRumor as it has appeared on the Internet: I am writing this because I feel every Firearms owner should know this
    story. I placed an order for a Dell notebook computer on February 13
    on line with Dell. I was given a tentative delivery date of February
    21st. I was watching the order through the Dell on line tracking system; I also opted for the automatic email notification of when the machine was to be shipped. Well the 21st came and went, I am a Pistolsmith I know things can happen. I made a phone call on the 25th,did a voice mail message for my salesman to get back to me and I was looking for the delivery date. The 25th came and went with no callback. On the 26th I placed another call this time to cancel the order. After a few hours I got a call back, with this amazing reason
    for the delay. It seems someone in Dell had already canceled my order,
    when I asked why I was told Dell was afraid I was going to use the machine for illegal purposes. When I asked why someone would think that I was told it was because of the name of my business "Weigand Combat Handguns Inc.". Because I am involved in firearms I might be doing something illegal. Now keep in mind I was never called or informed of this decision the order was just canceled. Many of you know me personally and know I run my business about as squeaky clean as possible. In addition being the President of the American Pistolsmiths Guild I am under additional scrutiny as to how I run my business, if I am not clean how can I be the President of an organization that promotes just that! I was informed by a Dell supervisor not long after all of this the reason I was refused was because of their post September 11th policy of screening buyers. I would like to respectfully ask the firearms community to do the
    following. If you intended to buy a Dell and because of this letter you do not, email Dell and let them know why. Feel free to distribute this account to all you know in the Firearms community, I think they need to know. I for one am sick and tired of people assuming just because we are involved with firearms that we are doing something illegal. I also do not believe Dell deserves our business if this is how they intend to treat us. God Bless Jack Weigand President American Pistolsmiths Guild Inc.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/g/gundell.htm

Dell Refused to Sell a Computer to a Man Because he Was a Gun maker-Truth! &Fiction!

Summary of the eRumor:
    The message says it is from a gunsmith named Jack Weigland who is upset that an order for a laptop computer to Dell was canceled. He says that after he ordered it and it failed to arrive, he called Dell and was told that the shipment had been canceled by the company because they were concerned that he might use the laptop for illegal purposes. The name of his business is "Weigland Combat Handguns, Inc."

The Truth:
    Jack Weigland is real and he did order a Dell computer on February 13 and did experience cancellation of his order. In a statement from the company, Dell Chairman Michael Dell said the order was canceled to give time to follow up with Weigland and make sure that there were no violations of U.S. Export law, which the company has been very cautious about since September 11. Dell has denied discriminating against any particular kind of business.

Weigland's business name, "Weigland Combat Handguns" raised a flag at Dell and they wanted to check things out before continuing with the order.

Weigland has received an email apology from a supervisor at Dell and an offer to put the order through, but has turned it down, saying he no longer wants to do business with them.

The company's statement said a serious mistake was made and that it does not discriminate against businesses or individuals based on the products they
    make or sell.

For more information: www.jackweigand.com

A real example of the eRumor as it has appeared on the Internet: I am writing this because I feel every Firearms owner should know this
    story. I placed an order for a Dell notebook computer on February 13
    on line with Dell. I was given a tentative delivery date of February
    21st. I was watching the order through the Dell on line tracking system; I also opted for the automatic email notification of when the machine was to be shipped. Well the 21st came and went, I am a Pistolsmith I know things can happen. I made a phone call on the 25th,did a voice mail message for my salesman to get back to me and I was looking for the delivery date. The 25th came and went with no callback. On the 26th I placed another call this time to cancel the order. After a few hours I got a call back, with this amazing reason
    for the delay. It seems someone in Dell had already canceled my order,
    when I asked why I was told Dell was afraid I was going to use the machine for illegal purposes. When I asked why someone would think that I was told it was because of the name of my business "Weigand Combat Handguns Inc.". Because I am involved in firearms I might be doing something illegal. Now keep in mind I was never called or informed of this decision the order was just canceled. Many of you know me personally and know I run my business about as squeaky clean as possible. In addition being the President of the American Pistolsmiths Guild I am under additional scrutiny as to how I run my business, if I am not clean how can I be the President of an organization that promotes just that! I was informed by a Dell supervisor not long after all of this the reason I was refused was because of their post September 11th policy of screening buyers. I would like to respectfully ask the firearms community to do the
    following. If you intended to buy a Dell and because of this letter you do not, email Dell and let them know why. Feel free to distribute this account to all you know in the Firearms community, I think they need to know. I for one am sick and tired of people assuming just because we are involved with firearms that we are doing something illegal. I also do not believe Dell deserves our business if this is how they intend to treat us. God Bless Jack Weigand President American Pistolsmiths Guild Inc.
    Though admittedly I do tend to be a sucker for these kinds of stories because there are so many companies that support "the other side of the fence"; I see what "truth or Fictions" says but I would be more convinced that Dell was totally innocent if the name of the company was "Weigland Combat Export Handguns, Inc.".

(Luzerne County)

I know Jack (live in same town) and the fact is they canceled his order due to the NAME of his business. The BS about checking export laws is simply back-peddling on the part of DELL. The story was already "internet news" when they issued that press release. IOW, they were already being hammered by angry customers after Jacks story hit sites like THR, TFL, etc. The "official" word from dell was crafted after the shit storm hit and it is not even similar to what they told Jack.

Personally, I believe Jack.
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; December 17th, 2007 at 11:01 AM. Reason: spelling spelling spelling

(Philadelphia County)

I 100% support the right of Dell and any other company that refuses to do business with gun owners.

If Geno won't sell you a cheesteak because you dont speak english, then Dell has the same right to cancel orders because of whatever the F they fell like it.

You can't have it both ways people...
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    I 100% support the right of Dell and any other company that refuses to do business with gun owners.

If Geno won't sell you a cheesteak because you dont speak english, then Dell has the same right to cancel orders because of whatever the F they fell like it.

I agree...they have the right not to sell it to us. But we have the right not to buy it from them in the first place!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    I didn't ask for it both ways.
    Who here asked for it both ways?

Buy from who you want. As a gun "interest" board this is newsworthy. Nothing more, nothing less.

Like I needed another reason not to but anything Dell
    FUCK BIDEN

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    I agree...they have the right not to sell it to us. But we have the right not to buy it from them in the first place!
    Exactly!!!!!! And THAT is the free market at work!
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Erie County)

I think it's more likely that the sales person at Dell was an anti, and was corrected by management when the issue became apparent. Is it true that they solicit donations for handgun control, Inc?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast