Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    (Butler County)

Default Re: My first police run-in of this OC season.... At denny's :-)

Quote Originally Posted by mxmike77 View Post
    New member yes, but I've been lurking for quite some time. Not new to carrying though, whether concealed or OC.

Was my post offensive in some way??
    No... but the correct answer to the philly question was:

They'd be held at gunpoint and verbally abused with extreme profanity while 6-7 backup cruisers arrive to take them down.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Butler County)

Oh... and I think the OP did a fine job. No reason to be impolite to an officer that good at getting them to willingly comply with his investigation and walk away smiling.

I'd have done the exact same.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post

They'd be held at gunpoint and verbally abused with extreme profanity while 6-7 backup cruisers arrive to take them down.
    Ohhhhh! Ok, I get the protocol now! I will try and correct my future posts accordingly.

(Lehigh County)

New member yes, but I've been lurking for quite some time. Not new to carrying though, whether concealed or OC.

Was my post offensive in some way??
    No, not at all. That's just not the way the majority of folks would envision such an encounter in Philly... very much the opposite
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Montgomery County)

I believe they would have had to show their LTCFs in that case as OC isn't a "right" in Philly, being a first-class city.

Also, my cousin is a LEO and said they cannot "run plates" or other info just for the hell of it. There must be reasonable cause or must already have the person(s) stopped, I believe all their "checks" get logged. If it were me and I was a young serviceman again who already had several under the belt, I probably would have diffused the situation the same way or at least just by answering "Yes, I do have a LTCF" instead of having the LEO get all butthurt and sitting outside waiting for you to leave so he can pull you over and have you blow a .09

Alcohol-related incidences are bad for anyone but especially for young military men. COs & XOs aren't real impressed when those reports come across their desks. Many of you/us wouldn't have reacted the same way but given the risks/circumstances Id say the OP did just fine.

Anyway, just my $.02

Semper Fi!
    Mike

LEO in Pa can run registrations on vehicles with no Reasonable suspicion or anything. Public record. There is case law on that. Running other information requires a litle more.

Quote Originally Posted by chivvalry View Post

You left out dissarmed, cuffed up, more verbal abuse, thrown into paddy wagon! While locked up all personal effects are rifled through, more verbal abuse. Then after the abuse and civil rights violations your property will be returned. Maybe you will get your ammo back, maybe! Dont expect an apology there will not be one..............
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Berks County)

I didn't read the whole thread. Just the first page. Pointing out the OP's rights he gave up, based on the OP's statement is pointless I would act in the same manner.

If the conversation is going well and the LEO asked me for something I would COMPLY, as stated by the OP. No harm no fowl. Is it a violation of rights, yes. But, why compound a situation. Obviously it panned out well. Most caseds like this it will.

There are rare occasions like the case between gunlawyer? One of the highly respected people here, may not be gunlawyer. Forgive me for my lack of recollection. The OC incident that went sour at a OC meet. Granted he stood up for his/our rights but look where it went, not everyone has the resource to go that route.

+1 for your encounter. That is exactly how I would handle it under said circumstances!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by dregan View Post

If the conversation is going well and the LEO asked me for something I would COMPLY, as stated by the OP. No harm no fowl. Is it a violation of rights, yes. But, why compound a situation. Obviously it panned out well. Most caseds like this it will.

+1 for your encounter. That is exactly how I would handle it under said circumstances!
    If the conversation was going well, would you let a cop search you, your car or house?

Everyone has their limit I guess. Doesn't make anyone right or wrong though.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Yentl Marmelstein View Post
    2. Miller Lite? On the periodic chart of the elements, Miller Lite is closer to being water than to being beer.
    Actually, it's closer to *urine* than beer; Hell, it's even the same color!

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    If the conversation was going well, would you let a cop search you, your car or house?

Everyone has their limit I guess. Doesn't make anyone right or wrong though.
    I understand what you're getting at, but there's a difference between having your rights violated and choosing to comply with a request from a LEO. Sure it might be your right to refuse to show an LTCF, but that doesn't mean that your rights have been trampled if you instead complied with the request.

However, had the request for papers been refused, and had the LEO then been unprofessional, THEN rights likely would have been trampled.
    Last edited by HSR47; April 8th, 2011 at 06:49 PM.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678