Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Philthadelphia preemption violation email.

Below is a letter I emailed to both my state representative and my state senator.

============================================

Yes, the title of this email is Philthadelphia. Myself and many other people are fed up with the government of Philadelphia thinking they are above the laws of our great commonwealth.

I am a firearms enthusiast. I've been shooting competitively and as a hobby since I was in high school more than 20 years ago. I also have a Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms (LTCF) and I do carry a firearm. To me, that firearm is personal insurance for my life. The thought of using that firearm for anything other than protecting a life is abhorrent to me. I pray that I will never need to use it.

Philadelphia, however, sees fit to time and again, ignore state firearms law. Specifically 18 PA.C.S. § 6120, which states, "No county, municipality or township may in any manner regulate the lawful ownership, possession, transfer or transportation of firearms, ammunition or ammunition components when carried or transported for purposes not prohibited by the laws of this Commonwealth."

They have yet again passed a bill designed to circumvent the law and impinge the rights of law abiding citizens. This bill, City Council Bill 100722-A, violates the reciprocity agreement between Pennsylvania and Florida. Essentially, Philadelphia's government has said that a Pennsylvania resident who has a Florida Non-Resident firearms permit may not use that permit to carry within Philadelphia.

Residents of Philadelphia, who wish to carry a firearm, often need to obtain a permit from another state because the Philadelphia Police Dept. does not do it's job properly when it comes to issuing Pennsylvania Licenses to Carry Firearms. All to often they stall, delay or out right deny licenses for frivolous and completely unrelated "offenses" such as an unpaid parking ticket.

Pennsylvania is a "Shall Issue" commonwealth. That means the sheriff is required to issue the license unless there is a valid prohibitive reason. The sheriff is also required to issue it within 45 days. In most counties this process takes as little as 15 minutes or up to 15 days. Philadelphia however, when they do issue a license, takes up to and many times longer than the 45 days.

I would like to see Pennsylvania pass legislation that would make it a crime for local governments that knowingly violate this state preemption law. Florida has something in the works already. Please see here: http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=6236

Its time to hold the government of Philadelphia accountable to the law.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

I strongly urge you all to help get the ball rolling and push back against the Philadelphia political machine. In my opinion they already hold too much power over the rest of the state.

Anyway...

Thanks for reading.

PN
    Μολὼν λάβε

Sinking Spring/Wernersville, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Philthadelphia

Awesome job. Rep sent.

Have been wanting to send a letter to my reps as well about this but haven't has the time. Thabks for the reminder.
    "Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - JOHN ADAMS, 2nd President of the United States of America

(Delaware County)

good letter man.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Cumberland County)

Rep sent. You do realize that you just got your name added to "the list", right?

Oh wait --- never mind, we're all already on that list . Your name just got moved up a couple of pegs.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

(Lawrence County)

Quote Originally Posted by PisnNapalm View Post
    Below is a letter I emailed to both my state representative and my state senator.

The thought of using that firearm for anything other than protecting a life is abhorrent to me. I pray that I will never need to use it.
    So the thought of using a firearm for target shooting, competition or hunting abhors you? Just pulling your leg, I know what you meant.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Philthadelphia preemption violation email.

Do they allow for public comment at City Hall in Philadelphia? Perhaps the Eastern Chapter of FOAC or local gun owners could organize and go down and put this on the record.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by jerkin View Post
    So the thought of using a firearm for target shooting, competition or hunting abhors you? Just pulling your leg, I know what you meant.
    Ok... good point.... Too late to reword that... Ugh... this is gonna bug the crap outta me now. I should have posted it here for comment first before sending it.

Μολὼν λάβε

(Montgomery County)

Im eager to see the responses to this if anything.

(Susquehanna County)

Your letter is very good. It could and should be used as a basis for official complaints to the appropriate Philadelphia District Attorney, the Commonwealth Attorney General and the Governor. Those letters of complaint should be written by every Philadelphia resident impacted by this City law.

Likewise every person impacted by Philadelphia Police improprieties should make written complaint to the authorities above.

Let's face it, writing a law that requires enforcement of an existing law is a bit overwrought.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Cambria County)

Thumbs up Re: Philthadelphia preemption violation email.

Nice letter, Excellent effort!

Would it be beneficial to also write and send a hard copy (old fashioned paper) letter? You know, one that would NEED to be opened and maybe more likely read.

Sometimes emails are dismissed and maybe a "Desk letter" would hold a Senator's attention a little better.

Just a thought. Anyway, NICE JOB!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mK2JYfZAmA When will America become America?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast