Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Something I was thinking about

First off let me say that I'm well aware that this is a stupid question, but I have to get some feedback on this because I'm desperate.

I've been wanting to open carry for a while and I'm kind of worried of getting harassed by law enforcement because of my appearance. I'm somewhat young, and I've got some facial piercings and tattoo's, and it certainly wouldn't be the first time I've been harassed for doing nothing, let alone openly carrying a firearm. It's almost guaranteed that I will be harassed because I don't fit the appearance of law enforcement or anything like that, so I will definitely stand out. Even though it is my right, and I'm well aware of that, I would rather not go through the trouble of getting harassed if I can avoid it.

Now with that said, we all talk about the public confusing us with law enforcement when we open carry which could be a reason why many that open carry don't get questioned very often, but I know that wouldn't be the case with me. So, what I was pondering was: what if I were to wear one of those black shirts that say "security" on them, that I've seen some people wear as a novelty, so I wouldn't draw much attention to myself. They might think I work as security for a nightclub or a business somewhere and I just got off work. I came up with this because I know security personal better fit my appearance.

I know it's stupid to have the public think you are law enforcement or anything similar for fear that you may be called upon to intervene in some situation that could get us in trouble, but as far as I know security doesn't have any legal power to do that as it is, so that wouldn't really be a factor.

Anyway...this was just a thought that was running through my head, and I would be stupid to do it, but I'm just throwing this out there as a way to avoid the harassment and would like some constructive criticism on this thought.

Proud member of:

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Something I was thinking about

I would not OC under any kind of false pretense. If you're that uncomfortable with it, then don't. It's not a crime to feel uneasy about OC. Nobody will think anything less of you.

(Franklin County)

I agree with Tony. Even though not illegal, you could run into a LEO who doesn't like open carry, and may attempt to use that shirt against you as an additional violation of some sort. Clearly bogus, but I think I've seen enough accounts to say it's not impossible.

"Wanting" to carry, and being comfortable doing so are two different things. The second will most likely come only after it's actually done successfully a few times, though I won't argue there are those who simply began to do it and never gave it a second thought.

If you decide to give it a try, start slow. Pick a place where you are recognized and well known (and presumably liked). Theoretically, you will be less likely to get a hard time. No guarantees, of course.

Another thought would be to find a fellow carrier to accompany you, though admittedly this may not be an easy task, especially finding one who also OCs. Just having someone else who is 'gun friendly', whether they carry concealed, or don't carry at all may make you more comfortable. Also, in the unfortunate circumstance of a confrontation, they can act as a witness of what was said and done.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Allegheny County)

Bad idea using a security shirt.

Just be careful what ever you do and understand even though it is legal to OC, you are taking a risk.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Philadelphia County)

WHy dont you get one of those fake CCW badges while you are it??

I agree its a very bad idea to wear the Security tshirt while OCing.

Also, I met you that one time, and I did not think at all that you looked shady in any way. In fact, I thought you looked like a friendly, harmless white boy.

Go ahead and OC! And always do so with a smile!
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Montgomery County)

Yeah, you guys confirmed what I already knew. It's a bad idea.

Thanks for the advice.

Proud member of:

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    WHy dont you get one of those fake CCW badges while you are it??

I agree its a very bad idea to wear the Security tshirt while OCing.

Also, I met you that one time, and I did not think at all that you looked shady in any way. In fact, I thought you looked like a friendly, harmless white boy.

Go ahead and OC! And always do so with a smile!
    LOL! That's racist, I'm telling.

I wish law enforcement would see me as a harmless white boy. Anytime they see me, they stare me down like you wouldn't believe - especially if I have the tattoos hangin' out. Most of them see me as a trouble maker, little do they know, though, that I've been a volunteer firefighter for the past 7 years and an upstanding member of the community.

Proud member of:

(Westmoreland County)

You can get the same LEO feel when just wearing a PAFOA T-Shirt! But yeah, I agree that Joe Public as well as Joe LEO stereotype Open Carrying people...if you are clean cut you must be "OK" but if you are tattooed and pierced, you must be an outlaw biker looking for a small town to rape, pillage and plunder! Not in anyway right or fair, but that's how it is...no candy coating.

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    I agree with Tony. Even though not illegal, you could run into a LEO who doesn't like open carry, and may attempt to use that shirt against you as an additional violation of some sort. Clearly bogus, but I think I've seen enough accounts to say it's not impossible.

"Wanting" to carry, and being comfortable doing so are two different things. The second will most likely come only after it's actually done successfully a few times, though I won't argue there are those who simply began to do it and never gave it a second thought.

If you decide to give it a try, start slow. Pick a place where you are recognized and well known (and presumably liked). Theoretically, you will be less likely to get a hard time. No guarantees, of course.

Another thought would be to find a fellow carrier to accompany you, though admittedly this may not be an easy task, especially finding one who also OCs. Just having someone else who is 'gun friendly', whether they carry concealed, or don't carry at all may make you more comfortable. Also, in the unfortunate circumstance of a confrontation, they can act as a witness of what was said and done.

Damn, you gnbrotz, quit thinking like me.......Smith, he pretty much said what i wanted to say.............and keep a copy of Pa Patriots flyer with you for reference if you think it would come in handy....

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    You can get the same LEO feel when just wearing a PAFOA T-Shirt! But yeah, I agree that Joe Public as well as Joe LEO stereotype Open Carrying people...if you are clean cut you must be "OK" but if you are tattooed and pierced, you must be an outlaw biker looking for a small town to rape, pillage and plunder! Not in anyway right or fair, but that's how it is...no candy coating.
    That's a good idea. Never thought about wearing the PAFOA T-shirt.

It's not fair at all. There have been times where I would simply be standing outside of a Wawa, or Dunkin Donuts enjoying a cup of coffee and talking with a buddy or two, and law enforcement rolls up, and basically yells at us to leave immediately. Yet, when there's older gentlemen out there talking, they are left alone. I can only imagine what they would do if they saw I was carrying a firearm. Probably call in the SWAT team.

Proud member of:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast