Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Recent Visit Northampton County Courthouse

I recently visited the Northampton County Courthouse and needed to check my firearm, so I went up to one of the individuals manning the metal detector and stated "I need to check my firearm" he said what and I repeated myself. He then turned around to another deputy and said we have a problem the other deputy came up to me and said you need to wait outside and I will be right with you. So I walked outside and waited (he took about 15 minutes I think unacceptable) and then him and another deputy came out with a big black case and stared to tell me their "procedure". He said lets go into a corner and you can put your weapon in the box I need your drivers license and carry permit I said you only need my carry permit and he insisted he needs my dl. He said then we will walk back in and you will go through the metal detector. So then we went into the room where there is the lock boxes and he filled out the receipt he put down all my info from my dl license and my carry permit. Then he put it in the lockbox and gave me the key and said now you can conduct your business in the courthouse. So I went on my way. When I was done and went to claim my weapon it took about another 15minutes to claim it and I had to go through the same procedure to uncheck my weapon.

Overall I think this is unacceptable that it took 15 minutes to check and un check my weapon is this "procedure" they have in accordance with the law or not?

He asked for my drivers license and my carry permit is this correct or was he wrong for asking for my drivers license?

He took the paper with all my info down to the sheriffs department (i could only assume to run it to see if it was all valid) is that accordance with the law or not?

I think that their policy is ridiculous to go outside and put it in the case outside the building in front of everyone walking into the main entrance, is this in accordance with the law or not?

Thank you for any input on my encounter.

Also all this while I watched multiple law enforcement officers walk into the room and check their weapon with no problem and not the "procedure" that I had to go through.
    Last edited by Phantom1; March 20th, 2011 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Addition

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Recent Visit Northampton County Courthouse

He doesnt need your DL, LTCF or have the legal need to run anything on you such as your background check or document the firearms serials.

Those are illegal searches IMO

Put gun in locker, get receipt of locker number, go on your way

yeah that too he wrote down the serial number of my weapon on that same paper that he went off with

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom1 View Post
    yeah that too he wrote down the serial number of my weapon on that same paper that he went off with
    Your 4th Amendment rights were just shit on and flushed down a toilet.

Feels shitty huh?

I'd go back and complain and file a report about it at a min

that sounds like the older guy that is there at the metal detector, he's always got a chip on his shoulder when it comes to firearms. I had an empty holster once and for courtesy let him know cause it had metal on it and he gave me a rash of shit for it.

Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    that sounds like the older guy that is there at the metal detector, he's always got a chip on his shoulder when it comes to firearms. I had an empty holster once and for courtesy let him know cause it had metal on it and he gave me a rash of shit for it.
    Yup it was the older guy at the metal detector, but the other person the Sargent who told me to stand outside and then "assisted me with their procedure" and also presumably violated my rights was nothing but professional while doing it. Also a funny thing is that he kept saying "We don't want to violate your 2nd amendment rights"

(Philadelphia County)

Smile Re: Recent Visit Northampton County Courthouse

Yup it was the older guy at the metal detector, but the other person the Sargent who told me to stand outside and then "assisted me with their procedure" and also presumably violated my rights was nothing but professional while doing it. Also a funny thing is that he kept saying "We don't want to violate your 2nd amendment rights"
    but we don't mind violating your 4th amendment rights! :-)

In my personal opinion, our 4th Amendment rights are violated every time we are searched, wanded, and forced to empty our pockets into a tray for the warrantless inspection by agents of the state, based on no suspicions beyond "I want to fly in an airplane" or "I want to buy a dog license" or "I'm compelled to be here for jury duty".

When the state is so fearful of its own citizens that it believes that it needs to hide behind layers of armed deputies and it must pat down every citizen, then they look more despotic than democratic.

Maybe they think that they are protecting "important people". Right. Because we are all created equal, but their lives are more important than one of us peasants?

This isn't the first indignity or intrusion I've heard of at a courthouse. They do it because they can get away with it, because the judges rely on the Sheriff to protect them and perform many courthouse duties, and because no Sheriff ever lost a re-election because of how he treated armed visitors to the courthouse.

The UFA requires the Sheriff to accept checked guns. It doesn't actually specify that he can't be an asshole about it. Maybe the legislators assumed that part.
    Last edited by GunLawyer001; March 21st, 2011 at 07:50 PM.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Quote Originally Posted by gbrown221 View Post
    but we don't mind violating your 4th amendment rights! :-)
    Hey, they can only not violate one set of rights at a time

That's like starting a conversation with "don't take this the wrong way" or "I'm not a racist person". You know the wrong way is coming and there are going to be racial slurs flying. I now live in Lehigh county so I don't have any business there but I hear Lehigh is not the most friendly county either.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast