Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: .22 auto recommendations for range fun

I paid 100 bucks for a ruger mark I 10 years ago and i shoot it regularly without ever cleaning it. Functions better than an ak47 i should say. Need i say more lol

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by shortthrow50 View Post
    I paid 100 bucks for a ruger mark I 10 years ago and i shoot it regularly without ever cleaning it. Functions better than an ak47 i should say. Need i say more lol
    Say nothing more, you are under investigation! better hand over all your ammo! I promise I will shoot it safely!

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by dregan View Post
    Say nothing more, you are under investigation! better hand over all your ammo! I promise I will shoot it safely!
    What are you gonna shoot with it

(Montgomery County)

Dear C5pilot,

The ruger's are fine pistols that are accurate and reliable. BUT ... they are a pain in the butt to field strip, especially when new. My first pistol was a Ruger Standard purchased new for $37.50 in 1962. I liked it, but hated breaking it down. The S&W 43 I replaced it with was a LOT easier to field strip - but it cost a lot more, too. I foolishly parted with the S&W years back.

I bought a stainless Match Target about a year ago (for a whole lot more than $37.50!) and have put over a 1000 rounds through it without problem. I have yet to break it down. Instead, I flush it with "Gun Scrubber" and use a little spray of "Rem Oil" to lubricate the inner workings. I clean the barrel (carefully) from the muzzle end. So far, there is no evidence of any accuracy degradation due to muzzle-end cleaning and the pistol has never failed in any way.

I know folks will climb all over me for shoving a rod in from the crowned end. But, facts speak for themselves - if you are careful, you won't damage the crown. After all, we've been cleaning revolver barrels from that end forever. I have many S&W revolvers that have all suffered that abuse for decades and they all work like fine watches with very precise "output".

In closing, that's another possibility for you. Don't buy a semi-auto, get a .22LR revolver. You don't break a round gun down to clean it and there are no "failure to do anything" issues with a revolver - they just work! AND, a revolver can fire any kind of 22 shell your choose to use from CBs to shorts to longs to long-rifles, be they standard, high or hyper-velocity. You can even fire 22 shotshells.

Good luck,

George

(Schuylkill County)

I'm in the same boat, shopping for a 22 plinker. i've been picking the brains of these guys for a few days now and i've gotten so much help. thanks to all, i really do appreciate it. here's where I stand.. the ruger mark 22/45 to better mimic the feel of my sr9, or the s&w 22a with a 5.5" bull barrel, or the GSG 1911. i'm collecting prices and working some fundraising deals now so i don't have to decide immediately. i had a 22a a few years ago and traded it for two double barrels. that was the only gun deal my wife ever complained about. she enjoyed that gun as much as my son and i did. the only range maintenance was a toothbrush to the loading ramp occasionally. My son feels we've been there done that with the s&w and would like to try something different. the $200 price tag at cabelas just won't let me turn away just yet.

I also would agree with the revolver. i plink with a SS single-six and it is a shooter that doesn't complain. couple that with the blackhawk and gp100 and you'll see why the ruger is mentioned first

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by DocFox View Post
    Dear C5pilot,

The ruger's are fine pistols that are accurate and reliable. BUT ... they are a pain in the butt to field strip, especially when new. My first pistol was a Ruger Standard purchased new for $37.50 in 1962. I liked it, but hated breaking it down. The S&W 43 I replaced it with was a LOT easier to field strip - but it cost a lot more, too. I foolishly parted with the S&W years back.

I bought a stainless Match Target about a year ago (for a whole lot more than $37.50!) and have put over a 1000 rounds through it without problem. I have yet to break it down. Instead, I flush it with "Gun Scrubber" and use a little spray of "Rem Oil" to lubricate the inner workings. I clean the barrel (carefully) from the muzzle end. So far, there is no evidence of any accuracy degradation due to muzzle-end cleaning and the pistol has never failed in any way.

I know folks will climb all over me for shoving a rod in from the crowned end. But, facts speak for themselves - if you are careful, you won't damage the crown. After all, we've been cleaning revolver barrels from that end forever. I have many S&W revolvers that have all suffered that abuse for decades and they all work like fine watches with very precise "output".

In closing, that's another possibility for you. Don't buy a semi-auto, get a .22LR revolver. You don't break a round gun down to clean it and there are no "failure to do anything" issues with a revolver - they just work! AND, a revolver can fire any kind of 22 shell your choose to use from CBs to shorts to longs to long-rifles, be they standard, high or hyper-velocity. You can even fire 22 shotshells.

Good luck,

George

You brought up a very good and controversial point. I normally clean from the crown as well, carefully. I also use a bore snake on 22's. (the right way)

With that said don't rule out a Ruger Mark _. You can clean them without full disassembly in a way that will not affect the reliability/accuracy.

What it comes down to is personal preference. You have a lot of insight so far, find a few rentals or friends and go shoot them! See what one fits you in the end.

(Washington County)

I LOVE my P22... I tried the Ruger 22/45 back in 2009, and after putting roughly 1000 rounds through it I did not like it.. I put the first 300 rounds through in on the first range trip, and I just did not like the feel of it.. then on the next trip, I put around 500 through it to give it another chance, thinking I would learn to appreciate it.. After the third range trip and another 200 or so rounds, and I still just did not like the feel of it and I traded it in on a Walther P22.

Now don't get me wrong, I am not saying it wasn't a quality gun, it fed ANYTHING I loaded and out of 1000 rounds, I think there was MAYBE 3 FTE or FTF, so its likely the mag or the ammo, not the gun.. The gun ran solid, it was just a personal thing with me.

Also, understand, that I LOVE the MARK III, it has a totally different feel to me than the 22/45, I shot my friends Mark III and loved it, but I already had the P22 that I loved, so i added the Mark III to my wish list.

The Walther also fed EVERYTHING I fed it.. it has roughly 2000 rounds through it with next to no hiccups or FTFs, etc.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Nobody likes the P22?
    Last edited by dmcdonnell; March 21st, 2011 at 11:42 PM.
    - Certified Glock Armorer, Μολὼν λαβέ

I too am in the Ruger camp having owned my first one for 32 years now and my second for less than a year. Though a tad more difficult to strip than most, it's not nearly as bad as many people make it out to be. I find it no more than a matter of the proper angle and a small pull on the trigger and "clink", in falls the hammer strut...the bane of reassembly. Fortunately, as previously posted or at least alluded to, it doesn't require a lot of cleaning. And for a quick fix to FTF stick you finger on the feed ramp and wipe away the guck.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Washington County)

That is a GREAT recommendation.. I like the Ruger New model Single Six, with the optional .22 Mag Cylinder as well as the .22 lr.

http://www.ruger.com/products/newMod...le/models.html

I like the idea of having a dual use revolver. and the option of .22 mag makes it extremely attractive.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by DocFox View Post
    Dear C5pilot,

Good luck,

George
    Last edited by dmcdonnell; March 21st, 2011 at 11:43 PM.
    - Certified Glock Armorer, Μολὼν λαβέ

(Monroe County)

I looked at a Heritage Rough Rider this week. It's a very tempting buy. A Single Action Army style revolver that comes with the 22lr and 22mag cylinders, a holster and wooden box for under $200. I may be tempted to impulse buy very soon
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast