Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Should she be charged

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories...MPLATE=DEFAULT

Dec 14, 9:58 AM EST

Mother of Pa. school plotter to be tried for buying him guns

Advertisement

CONSHOHOCKEN, Pa. (AP) -- A mother will be tried on charges of helping her 14-year-old son build up a stash of weapons that authorities say he intended to use in a school attack.

Michele Cossey, 46, was ordered Thursday to stand trial on charges of endangering the welfare of a child, unlawful transfer of a firearm, possession of a firearm by a minor and two misdemeanors. A third misdemeanor charge was dismissed.

Cossey, of Plymouth Meeting, is accused of illegally buying her home-schooled son, Dillon, a .22-caliber handgun, a .22-caliber rifle and a 9 mm semiautomatic rifle with a laser scope.

Dillon Cossey, who was arrested in October, felt bullied and tried to recruit another boy for a possible attack at Plymouth Whitemarsh High School, authorities said.

Michele Cossey's attorney, Timothy Woodward, tried to have the charges dismissed. He pointed out that no ammunition was found and that minors are allowed to have guns in some circumstances.

"My client's actions may have been misguided but there is no evidence that these actions were malicious or malevolent," Woodward said.

A school district psychologist testified Thursday that, at a 2005 meeting with school officials about her son's emotional problems, Cossey said she had concerns about her son's obsession with the military.

The psychologist, Robyn Walchuk, also said Michele Cossey said her son "reported seeing or being touched by supernatural things." Walchuk did not elaborate.

Dillon Cossey is to be sentenced next week.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Should she be charged

She will probably be charged and likely found guilty.

How did she buy them illegally? Were they purchased from some dude on the street corner? If she bought them from a gun store then the purchases were not illegal.

If she gave him free reign to use them while unsupervised... That's a different story.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Snyder County)

endangering the welfare of a child
    This is the only charge that may stick....or the misdemeanors. But even that charge is a stretch. As much as I think this kid (and mom probably) was messed up, I don't think she is guilty of any of these charges.

Unlawful transfer of a firearm - it is her kid. She is allowded to gift a firearm to him if she wants.

possession of a firearm by a minor - How can she be charged with this? Also, as long as the firearm never left the property, can he or she be charged with this? Are they basically saying that no one is ever allowded to hold a firearm until they are 18? Possession means having control of...

endangering the welfare of a child - As I said, this one is the only one that I can see might stick. But if that kid is allowded to hunt at 12, why can't he have firearms at 14? How is letting a kid use firearms (if taught proper safety methods) endangering them? Even this is crazy if you ask me...unless there is more information that we don't know...which is probably the case.

(Allegheny County)

There's really not enough information here to make a dscision. Need more info.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    There's really not enough information here to make a dscision. Need more info.
    Not sure what more information is needed ???

(York County)

There is/was no shooting spree. Nobody was killed/hurt. They say there was no ammunition. Nothing or nobody was endangered. Looks like a government that needs to mind its own buisness is all thats going on here. Doing strange sh*t is not a crime in this country.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by larrymeyer View Post
    Not sure what more information is needed ???
    I wouldn't want to go to trial with one paragraph of information concerning the case, would you? That must be more infomation available about the case.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

(Northumberland County)

my dad bought me a Marlin 39A and a Winchester mod. 12 20 ga. when I was 14, no laws broken then and he sure didn't let me break any either.How far should we allow big brother to go with our rights in an effort to stop these atrosities? good question, huh? diesel

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveM55 View Post
    I wouldn't want to go to trial with one paragraph of information concerning the case, would you? That must be more infomation available about the case.
    I think there was more then one paragraph, but lets look at the facts did she but her son guns. Yes she did

Did she endangering the welfare of a child. Maybe she gave him the guns but no ammo

Did she unlawful transfer of a firearm. I gave my sons and grandsons gun when they were 12. So I'm a lawbreaker take my guns and CCW. JUst tell me what law I broke

Possession of a firearm by a minor. He was 14 years old?Again what law

Based on these we should take her rights away? This whole case is about a possible attack at Plymouth Whitemarsh High School ?

I don't know if she's guilty or not but from that one paragraph I wou;d't convict her. If they do then if my 16 year old grandson says to another child at school "I'm going to get my gun and kill you" I can go to jail for giving him the gun, and my son can also go to jail for letting him keep it and having it in his house

PS I posted this to get people thinking not to get into a pissing contest with anyone. So don't be offended

(Montgomery County)

I guess according to our government, nowadays if you're a kid and you're given a firearm of any kind, it must automatically mean that you are going to go shoot a school or something up.

Proud member of:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast