Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Columbia County)

Default Alaska: Constituational carry my ass!

I was just watching the Alaska Highway Patrol show on National Geographic channel and my blood pressure went through the roof watching a traffic stop. The cop pulls over a car for not having its headlights on during the day. He then comes to the window and starts talking to them. About a minute after walking up to the window, it goes like this:
    Cop:"Anything in here I need to be concerned about?"
    Passenger: "I got a .40 cal"
    Cop: "What's that?"
    Passenger: "I have a gun in the car, but it's legal."
    Cop: "Okay. You know what's illegal about that? You didn't tell me about it."

He then asks him where it is and tells him "that's a big problem man" and takes it from him and forcefully pulls him out of the car. All the while, the man is saying, sorry. I'm telling you now, etc.

The video then picks up from where my description left off here:

http://channel.nationalgeographic.co...ideos/09218_00

Damn, that really had my blood boiling. That fucking cop is so goddamn full of himself. What a jack booted thug! I'd rather live in PA where I have to get a license to carry concealed than to put up with that utter bullshit.

Granted, at the end, it turned out the guy had a felony assault case pending. However, that does not prohibit him from owning/carrying a weapon.
    Last edited by max384; March 20th, 2011 at 12:46 AM.

Default Re: Alaska: Constituational carry my ass!

Gotta love duty to inform. One of my biggest turn-offs for Alaska.

(Delaware County)

LOL!

I was watching it too!

Really impressed by the kid in the red shirt that got caught in the woods.

Kept his mouth shut and knew exactly what to say.

Cop: How many people got away that were in the car? Just two?
    Kid: I don't know, how many people do you think were in the car?

lol

(Montgomery County)

I enjoyed the quote from the police officer:

"You want to be a cool guy and carry a gun..."

What an ass. Mr. Police Man, why do you carry a gun? Do you do it to be cool?

The highly intelligent and introspective officer goes further to explain that the gun was just under the guys leg and it could have easily been put in the officers face!!! I am calling thought crime bullshit. I have a firearm in my holster right now and it could easily be in anyones face... what stops that from happening is choice. I choose to do what is in my best interest. To that Alaska radar jockey, go find another job asshole. Perhaps a career being an IT help desk guy would satisfy your need to tell everyone how wrong they are, and how right you are.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Fayette County)

I expected more professionalism from Alaska State Police.

I hate to say it, but I think if that civilian in the car with the gun was dressed nice and in a newer car, he probably would have been treated differently.
    "One must be a fox to recognize traps, and a lion to frighten wolves” ~ Machiavelli

(Butler County)

Silly me, if I were placed in handcuffs, I would assume that I was under arrest.

Eh, I wouldn't let that mar your views on Alaska or their police force, I went there when I first moved to America and they are fine and upstanding individuals who treat you with the utmost respect unless you give them reason otherwise to do so, they treated me with a hell of a lot more courtesy than any Pennsylvania police officer ever has, especially when it came to legalizing the firearms I brought here from overseas.

This officer in particular is just one of those one-off things that is just disgraceful to his own badge and uniform, he should have conducted himself in a better manner.

But you can't judge the actions of one person to represent the actions of many.

(Allegheny County)

what if the guy didn't want the gun to remain in police "custody"? I kind of remember someone saying you have a right to have the gun taken to a FFL as a safe hold till everything's worked out. Anyone know anything about how that procedure works?
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by pac444 View Post
    Eh, I wouldn't let that mar your views on Alaska or their police force, I went there when I first moved to America and they are fine and upstanding individuals who treat you with the utmost respect unless you give them reason otherwise to do so, they treated me with a hell of a lot more courtesy than any Pennsylvania police officer ever has, especially when it came to legalizing the firearms I brought here from overseas.

This officer in particular is just one of those one-off things that is just disgraceful to his own badge and uniform, he should have conducted himself in a better manner.

But you can't judge the actions of one person to represent the actions of many.
    I definitely agree that you can't judge a whole group based upon the actions of one individual.

Quote Originally Posted by K.C. View Post
    what if the guy didn't want the gun to remain in police "custody"? I kind of remember someone saying you have a right to have the gun taken to a FFL as a safe hold till everything's worked out. Anyone know anything about how that procedure works?
    I believe that is only in the case in a protection from abuse order or something similar where you have ample time to let someone else have temporary custody of your firearms.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by max384 View Post
    I was just watching the Alaska Highway Patrol show on National Geographic channel and my blood pressure went through the roof watching a traffic stop. The cop pulls over a car for not having its headlights on during the day. He then comes to the window and starts talking to them. About a minute after walking up to the window, it goes like this:
    Cop:"Anything in here I need to be concerned about?"
    Passenger: "I got a .40 cal"
    Cop: "What's that?"
    Passenger: "I have a gun in the car, but it's legal."
    Cop: "Okay. You know what's illegal about that? You didn't tell me about it."
    And here's the big problem with the "duty to inform". The guy gets roughed up because he didn't inform fast enough. So what's a citizen to do? Just shout I HAVE A GUN as soon as the cop rolls up? Because I can see that ending badly too.

The common advice is to hand over an LTCF in addition to your DL as a non-threatening way to inform. But this fails in AK (no permit required) and it doesn't get you over the "you didn't tell me" problem because cops don't always ask for ID right off the bat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast