Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Full length resizing of new brass

I'm new to reloading so I'm reading as many manuals as I can first. I came across a great reloading website www.chuckhawks.com and he metions that full length resizing should be done on new (unfired) cases. And I was just wondering...why? One would think that a brand new case would be sized correctly from the start. Is this info correct? Thanks, Joe

(Columbia County)

Default Re: Full length resizing of new brass

You'd think it would be correctly sized brand new, but it often isn't or has imperfections. Once you buy a batch of new brass, take a look at the case mouths. You'll see that many are not completely round and you'll instantly realize why you resize new brass.

EDIT: I buy probably 95% of my brass once-fired, so I don't have a ton of experience with new brass. I've only bought new brass in .243, 30-06, .500 S&W. and 10mm. I noticed that the rifle cases were much worse than the pistol cases. In fact, the .500 appeared as though they could have been loaded without sizing. The rifle and 10mm cases were Winchester brand and the .500 was Starline. I don't know if it's a difference between brands or if rifle brass is usually worse. Either way, it's best to resize all new brass if you decide to buy new.
    Last edited by max384; March 18th, 2011 at 09:53 AM.

(Westmoreland County)

This is one of those myths that have circled the web several times. Every time you FL size, you work harden the brass, why add too it. All brass is made to specific specks.
    The only thing I do to new brass is trim to length, some will come threw a little longer than others.
    Or if loading cast bullets you will need to open them up a little.

(Delaware County)

Stating the obvious, the whole reason for resizing is to compress the brass back to the specs for a loaded cartridge. Besides all the measuring, I just drop the case into a case gage. In my opinion, if it fits and is correct length, then just skip ahead to the next step.
    I bought 50 Beowulf brass. The factory said it didn't require resizing. It did fit successfully in my Beowulf cartridge case gage. But then I went ahead and resized it anyway...... Go figure.
    I had a number of fired cases I was doing in the same reloading session so I wanted them all to have the same treatment.

(Pike County)

It all depends on what you are loading for. Long range competitors resize brand new lapua brass, trim it, and turn the necks. Overkill on ultra-premium brass unless you are looking for every possible advantage.

Loading for an AR for casual plinking or three-gun I'd just load 'em up. Same with pistol brass, no reason to go nuts as the tolerances within the "safe to load" envelope simply don't matter at typical ranges.

There is always the need (SAFETY) to inspect for cracks and such and to pay attention when reloading for loose primers or whatever, but brass prep requirements for me are a function of intended usage and not a general guideline.

there is an article in the last reloading mag that states that one should not resize new brass.

(Luzerne County)

It is certainly not needed. I buy my .223 brass primed in factory cases. Pretty obviously if it is already primed the factory does not expect it to be sized before use.
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Somerset County)

The guy that taught me to reload 35 years ago would run new brass thru the sizer die. It wasn't long after I was on my own that I quit that and just bumped the out of round case mouths over the expander button to make them round again.

Nor do I trim new brass before loading. I do check to be sure the flashhole is there.

Dale

(Columbia County)

Hmmmm, it sounds as though I must have had bad luck with the few new bags of brass that I bought. That rifle brass was 100% impossible to reload without resizing. I assumed that was normal for all new brass.

(Pike County)

... because your primed brass has already been sized ;->

Just sayin'

I stick by my original post - some do, some don't, for various reasons. Depends on what you are trying to achieve. YMMV.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete D. View Post
    It is certainly not needed. I buy my .223 brass primed in factory cases. Pretty obviously if it is already primed the factory does not expect it to be sized before use.
    Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast