Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Positive outcome to a ridiculous trial in IN

I joined PAFOA yesterday to follow ViperGTS19801's case. While I'm here, I decided that I might as well spread a little cheer. Just today, I attended a trial in Carmel, IN (northern suburb of Indianapolis) for a retired Cincinnati cop who had been cited $500 for firing his .45 into the ground on his property. He was being attacked by two dogs, and was cited because he didn't attempt to kill the dog, but rather fired a shot in a safer direction (away from having his neighbors' homes as his backstop). The shot was effective at breaking off the attack, with no injuries to human or canine, but he was brought up on charges, anyway.

Luckily, our state has some pretty good defense laws, including the Castle Doctrine. In the opinion of several of the gallery, the judge handed the prosecutor and the cop their collective butts. (Not sure what your profanity rules are, so I'll keep it G.)

I'm sure that this gentleman probably spent more money on lawyer's fees than he would have paid in fines, but he followed through on principle, prevailed, and has now hopefully helped set precedent for future cases.

The good guys do occasionally win.

http://ingunowners.com/forums/carry_...carmel_pd.html

(Venango County)

Default Re: Positive outcome to a ridiculous trial in IN

Glad to have you as a member. And even better still, that common sense isn't as rare as it seems at times.

Going to have to jump on over there, and take a read through the thread.

As for profanity, as long as it isn't in thread titles, or excessive, no problems.

Welcome to the family.
    I'm so fast, I can bump fire a bolt action.

(Columbia County)

I only read the first page of that thread,but I imagine that if he would've shot the dogs,that might've involved a lawsuit since some people are sue happy.
    And esp with houses nearby and people walking around,I think firing into the ground was probably the smart thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    Glad to have you as a member. And even better still, that common sense isn't as rare as it seems at times.

Going to have to jump on over there, and take a read through the thread.

As for profanity, as long as it isn't in thread titles, or excessive, no problems.

Welcome to the family.
    I've removed the term "common sense" from my vocabulary. Not so much because it's never practiced, but because the term is so misused by those wishing to take our rights away. Among antis, that term seems to be code for "no need for gray matter beyond this point; we've taken care of that for you".

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.C View Post
    I only read the first page of that thread,but I imagine that if he would've shot the dogs,that might've involved a lawsuit since some people are sue happy.
    And esp with houses nearby and people walking around,I think firing into the ground was probably the smart thing to do.
    Yeah, you're right in most cases. But believe it or not, the dog owner in this case was apologetic and cooperative. He didn't appear at the trial, but I believe he offered to pay the fine.

There is hope for humanity... a little, anyway.