Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Put on research and now have to fill out paper to mail in

I went to buy a 22 on the 3/5/11 and was put on research, now today I got a call from the shop saying that i have to come get some paprs to fill out and send to PSP to challenge them because its going to take longer then 15 days. What is this about? I'm been off probaition for almost 6 months for my dui and the only other thing on my record is a reckless endangering another person, which I got for haveing fireworks and a fleeing and eluding. Both of which are M2's and are from '07 and the only reason I was on probaition so long is because York holds you until all your fines are payed off. So Is this the reason this is happening?

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Put on research and now have to fill out paper to mail in

Today's youth, they want everything immediately. Life doesn't always work immediately.

Patience, Grasshopper. All will be explained to you.

First, go to the gun shop, fill out the papers and send them in. Depending on what comes back determines your next step, which might include getting an attorney involved.

First, however, you have to fill out the papers and send them in. It may be something, it may be nothing. But, you won't know until you send the papers in and get a response.

(York County)

I know, damn kidds LOL

(Lackawanna County)

OOOOH,to be young and foolish,those were to days.
    Government 99 and 44/100 % pure bullshit.

(Centre County)

Were you actually DENIED?? A denial is the only time you send in the challenge form. Who told the FFL that it was going to take more than 15 days? Is it a true challenge (you were denied) or does the PSP Firearms Unit just need more info from you, probably relating to your past legal history?

I'm not a lawyer but what was the max sentence that the Judge could have given you for the M2's? This may be part of it.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Susquehanna County)

Arrests and convictions are two different animals. If you were convicted of M2 level crimes or pled guilty to them, since the maximum punishment for Class 2 Misdemeanors is that of up to two years in a state prison. You might be ineligible to buy or possess any firearm (rifle, shotgun or handgun) under Federal law.

Best to know where you stand.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Chester County)

Prefacing this with the "I am not a lawyer" disclaimer...

What I've looked up is that an M2 in Pennsylvania carries a max jail term of to to 2 years. If so then this is most likely why you were denied/put into research.

This may also prevent you from firearms ownership period. Again... I'm not a lawyer, but you may want to consult with one soon.

EDIT:: http://www.pennsylvania-criminal-def...nalcharges.htm
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Mercer County)

You were denied. Thats why you have to fill out a challenge form. They (the state police) have 5 buisness days from the day they recieve the challenge form to mail you a response. You will either get a reversal letter which means you were approved or the letter will state exactly why you were denied. If you get a reversal letter just take it into the gun store and show them and they will take care of it from there.

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by FogleDW View Post
    I went to buy a 22 on the 3/5/11 and was put on research, now today I got a call from the shop saying that i have to come get some paprs to fill out and send to PSP to challenge them because its going to take longer then 15 days. What is this about? I'm been off probaition for almost 6 months for my dui and the only other thing on my record is a reckless endangering another person, which I got for haveing fireworks and a fleeing and eluding. Both of which are M2's and are from '07 and the only reason I was on probaition so long is because York holds you until all your fines are payed off. So Is this the reason this is happening?
    The DUI should not matter if that is all it is, and you done with all requirements, (ARD, Probation, Etc), i got it as well and no issues whenever i have purchased anything, i am leaning more towards the bolded part above, they may just want more information on it?, More time to review it, etc. all you can do is send in the form to see what they say.

Just noting IANAL either.

(York County)

They said that it wasnt denied. They told me that the psp called and said it was going to be longer then 15 days. I havent gotten down to the gun shop yet to get the paper work. I'll hopefully get down there sat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast