Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Glock 17 Gen 4 testing

UPDATE: Post #15

Finally made it to the range with my new Gen 4 17. Put 200 rounds through it in about 10 minuets or so. I was really just testing for reliability since I have heard so many bad reviews on them, so most all of my shots were semi-rapid fire to see if I had any malfunctions. None whatsoever occurred. The pistol shot flawlessly and with what seemed to be less recoil than other 9mm's I have shot. Maybe due to the oversized recoil spring/guide rod system in the new Gen 4's.

The ammo I tested in it was:

Winchester 9mm NATO 124 grain FMJ
    Federal American Eagle 147 grain FMJ Flat Nose
    Remington UMC 115 grain FMJ
    Winchester White Box 115 grain FMJ

Now I want to go out again and see if I can make this gun malfunction. Any ideas on what brand(s) of ammo I could try to see if it won't eat it. I was thinking Blazer next, but I'm open to suggestions.

Oh, and here are a couple quick cell phone pics. (I didn't intentionally put it on the "light weight plastic" box, just noticed in the pic and lol'd)

A guy at the range next to me checked out my target and said "I think he's dead". I agree

Last edited by 24/7dude; March 29th, 2011 at 08:14 PM.

(York County)

Default Re: Glock 17 Gen 4 testing

Congrats on the new pistol.

It's nice to see that you didn't have any Failure To Eject with the115gr ammo. I would think if you can fire the low grain ammo you are good to go, unless you fire some odd reload.

From another site, here are the rounds that caused FTE:

So COSteve, are you saying that all of the below 9mm ammunition is weak, "wimpy" & sub-standard 9mm rounds that should not be fired in a Glock gen 4? Because, I had FTE on these brands/types of 9mm ammo, with my gen 4 17.

Federal American Eagle Full Metal Jacket, 124 GR, 1090 fps
    NATO M882 FMJ, 124 GR, >1200 fps
    Speer Lawman 9mm 115gr FMJ, >1200 fps
    Remington UMC 9 MM, FMJ, 115 GR, 1135 fps
    Master-Cast FMJ 115gr, 1160 fps.
    147gr JHP unknown Manufacture given to me to try by local LEO’s on the range.
    CCI Blazer 9mm Luger 115gr FMJ, 1145 fps

(Berks County)

What recoil spring do you have in the gun? With the Gen4's I've had no failure with my 03 or 04 springs.

(York County)

200 rounds again today. This time 2 FTE's (stovepipes) with Winchester White Box 115 grain ammo in a 30 round mag. One was the 3rd round in and the other was 4th or 5th from last. I'm leaning on it being from a dirty mag because the one that failed was filthy compared to the 2 other 30 rounders I had. That might be from the stovepipes though, maybe someone can shed more light on it. Shot the same variety of ammo as yesterday. After the FTE's though I shot 120 (total) WWB and only 80 rounds of the other brands without any failures.

Also, I was holding onto the 33 round mag with my support hand. My shooting buddy said that might have caused the failure, but I did it yesterday without any failures. Either way, I'm not doing it again just in case.

Picked up 100 rounds of Federal Champion 115 grain and 100 more rounds of WWB on the way home. Update tomorrow on how it goes.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by keystoneman 85 View Post
    What recoil spring do you have in the gun? With the Gen4's I've had no failure with my 03 or 04 springs.
    0-2

From what I've read there is an 0-1 (no marking), 0-2, and a 0-2-1 for the model 17 Gen 4.

That is the only thing that can stop a Glock in below factory spec reloads, in my finding other then that its one of the most reliable Pistol made.

Some would say that the Glock 17 and 19 are the MOST reliable of the Reliable GLOCKS. I have 3 and they are good to GO!

Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Neko456 View Post
    Some would say that the Glock 17 and 19 are the MOST reliable of the Reliable GLOCKS. I have 3 and they are good to GO!
    My 19 has been flawless for thousands of rounds. After having to send my M&P back to the factory once and swap out parts a few more times it's been awesome having a gun that just works every time.

(Allegheny County)

hopefully the new 4th gens have the bugs worked out. I really like the frame. But personally a 200 round day on one dudes gun doesnt convince me after all the problems and changed they made.

keep shooting it and report back.

if in 6 months or so I see a bunch of dudes with thousands of rounds through them say they are running it will peak my interest.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    keep shooting it and report back.
    I plan too. 400 count now. 600 at least tomorrow.

I don't have the time or funding to go put thousands of rounds through it right away. Sorry to disappoint.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by 24/7dude View Post
    I plan too. 400 count now. 600 at least tomorrow.

I don't have the time or funding to go put thousands of rounds through it right away. Sorry to disappoint.
    why not ! how dare you !!!! lol

400 is a great start, and things are looking up for the 4th gen rep, but you might just have a "good one" , so a lot of what my comment meant was more like being about having multiple samples with high miles eventually.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast