Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Question Trijicon night sights life

As I understand it, Trijicon night sights on a pistol will deteriorate and lose their glow over time.

Say that you have a "safe queen" that does not see daylight too much... does the amount of light hitting the sights affect their life?

I don't think so, but wanted to find out for sure

(Berks County)

Default Re: Trijicon night sights life

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    As I understand it, Trijicon night sights on a pistol will deteriorate and lose their glow over time.

Say that you have a "safe queen" that does not see daylight too much... does the amount of light hitting the sights affect their life?

I don't think so, but wanted to find out for sure
    Trijicon uses Tritium, the decay of which cannot be controlled by any manufacturing process. Its half-life is 12 years, 3 months and illumination is reduced proportionally with the half life. Notice, the sight will never "go out" in anyone's lifespan but after 12 years, illumination will be about 1/2 compared to new. So no exposure to daylight will not increase or decrease the lifespan.

Default Re: Trijicon night sights life

As mentioned, the sights use tritium. The decay rate of tritium is not affected by environmental conditions such as exposure to sunlight.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who didn't.