Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Amish Required To Have Photo On FOID Card To Own Guns, Violating Religious Edict

I'm grew up Mennonite, and have a lot of Amish friends and relatives.

I have sold an AR to an older Amish man, and I know his son's have a fantastic arsenal. (Think tricked out long range rifles with NF scopes... that type of thing) LWRC, ACR, Les Baer, all things they either are in the market for, or have owned. I know one of the son's has his LTCF. Several family members have bought and sold these types of weapons on our own For Sale forums here at PAFOA.

(And they read this forum, probably from the public library, are members here, and will know that I'm talking about them).

They're educated, well to do, and also serious about their faith. A very respectable family, who doesn't quite fit the profile of a leader in the Old Order Amish church.

Sorry about the thread drift....
    Now to return you to the topic at hand....

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Default Re: Amish Required To Have Photo On FOID Card To Own Guns, Violating Religious Edict

Some Mennonites are more "modern" than others. The men do seem to still frown upon women doing "man" things, but I know of one Mennonite man who thinks I am cool for being a trapper, taxidermist, and other "man" things. His wife on the other hand disaproves of some of it- she once got on me for wearing a shirt that says "chicks with guns" and has 2 peeps with Glocks. LOL I also once had an Amish teenage boy who was kinda flirty with me. He was just fascinated by the fact that I am a fur trapper.

In general I find the Amish to be cool. They aren't judgemental, and are apt to forgive, such as with the Nickle Mines incident. They did not make a political issue out of it.

The only thing I don't like with Amish and Mennonites is the # of them who run puppy mills. I thought they had more respect for animals than that. Breeding dogs is fine, but stacking them in cages inside barns, filth, and extreme inbreeding/breeding dogs with bad traits over and over, are just not right. My parents once got a German shepherd from Amish people, it was the stupidest dog, and had no protectiveness to it- completely contrary to what GS are supposed to be like. What they told me about the farm had "puppy mill" written all over it.
    LOL, I am a woman...

(Monroe County)

Yes . . . All those that dwell within the flexible borders of what was once the free United States of America . . . must now possess at all times at least one identifying photo and other verification documents.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345