Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Erie County)

Default Purchasing A Handgun

I just moved to Erie Pennsylvania a few days ago from South Carolina, I still have my SC drivers license but have an Erie PA address. Can I purchase a handgun or do I need to wait till I get my PA divers license in a few days?

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Purchasing A Handgun

Just to be sure I would wait until I got my PA License.

(Erie County)

Just found out I have to have a PA divers license so I’ll wait until after this Friday.

(Centre County)

If you really don't want to wait, go ahead and get a PA ID card. Done at the DMV, it's almost the same thing, except it says "Identification Card" at the top instead of "Driver's License". It'll work for a firearm purchase, partially because it is connected to what will be your PA DL#, but it'll cost you a few bucks and time at the DMV.
    Last edited by legendarylorot; March 14th, 2011 at 12:38 PM.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by legendarylorot View Post
    If you really don't want to wait, go ahead and get a PA ID card. Done at the DMV, it's almost the same thing, except it says "Identification Card" at the top instead of "Driver's License". It'll work for a firearm purchase, partially because it is connected to what will be your PA DL#, but it'll cost you a few bucks and time at the DMV.
    Thank you, did not know that. My wife and I are going in a few days for our license. I'll wait untill then, my LGS is out of the gun I want. Looking to get a Bersa Thunder UC 9mm.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by legendarylorot View Post
    OK, I'll bite. Why would he do this if his eventual plan is to get a PA D/L. It will take time at the DMV and money, neither of which will be applied towards getting a D/L.

If he wasn't planning on getting a PA D/L or doesn't have one from another state and needs to take driving test, then I might understand.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by jtwalker View Post
    OK, I'll bite. Why would he do this if his eventual plan is to get a PA D/L. It will take time at the DMV and money, neither of which will be applied towards getting a D/L.

If he wasn't planning on getting a PA D/L or doesn't have one from another state and needs to take driving test, then I might understand.
    It's more of a mild annoyance at "PA DL required" than anything else. It's like when people get upset at "gun permit" instead of "LTCF". For the practical purposes of this scenario? Yeah. Useless. A few days wait is (to me) not worth an hour at the DMV, let alone the printing fee.