Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default First day shooting Taurus TCP 380

After reading tons of poor reviews online about the Taurus PT738 TCP 380 I was really fearing the worst heading to the range today. Sure, I read some good reviews too but it's always the bad stuff that sticks. Being a novice I'm placing a lot of weight on what I read but still relying on common sense when it's a tough call. Being that I read bad things about ALL 380's, I decided to go with what felt good in my hand and hope for the best.

One of the main things I remembered was people saying not to fire the gun before cleaning it. Seems a lot of the people who had problems took their TCP right to the range and had issues. Sure enough, when I broke it down it was loaded with oil. It's like they expected it to be sitting on the beach for 50yrs from the looks of it. So I'm glad I took the time to clean it up and also got to know the gun from the inside out.

All cleaned and lightly lubed I headed to the range with some Winchester 95gr FMJ target, Remington 95gr UMC, Federal 95gr FMJ, and Federal Premium 90gr HydraShok JHP because that was the only defensive ammo I could find.

In total, I fired 158 rounds today and am VERY happy to say I didn't have one single major issue. The ONLY thing I noticed is that it can be tricky getting the first round chambered. It seems the barrel ramp may be a little too steep but I'm also a novice so I don't know if this is the same for a lot of semi auto's. I found if I racked the slide quickly and just let the spring hammer it closed that it would chamber the first round almost every time. Sometimes I had to try racking it a couple times but it never got really jammed. I'm hoping even this will go away after it's broken in more.

Once the first round of each mag was loaded into the chamber it never malfunctioned. It always fed, it always ejected, and the slide always locked open on the last round. I really didn't expect that after all the crap I read online. When I tried out my friends Ruger LCP last week it seemed that was malfunctioning once every other mag or so. The LCP also made my palm red and got sore sooner. The Taurus grip seems just a wee bit wider so it doesn't hurt as much. It's certainly not a pistol you want to shoot all day but it's not bad considering its lightweight and there's no room for your pinky. If someone comes out with a mag pinky extension, I'm getting it.

Before I left, I bought some Fiocchi 95gr FMJ, BlazerBrass 95gr FMJ, and Remington Golden Saber 102gr HPJ, and will try them next time out. I'm wondering if the 102gr is too much, the gun is only listed for 95gr in the manual. I'll ask my instructor at the range before I open them. For now I'll carry with the Federal HydraShok because I've already tested it. I'd like to hear what others are carrying in their 380's. For a buck per practice shot, and only having 7 rounds immediately available, I want to make sure they count.

=

The following is for those who already own the TCP and have trouble re-assembling it.

I learned an important trick about re-assembly. There is no way I could get the disassembly latch pin back through the handle and barrel. Everything online explains how you have to pull the barrel forward so the pin will push all the way through but nothing about getting the latch pin started! The little spring clip prevents the pin from starting. They should have designed the pin with a beveled end to start compressing the spring.

Not wanting to damage the spring by forcing the pin, I released the slide again and removed it. Place the tip of the pin on top of the spring to compress it and then feed it through the hole in the handle but only go just enough to get it started. With the pin sticking out of the polymer handle, assemble the slide until you can lock it in the open position. Now just push the pin the rest of the way through the slide and barrel giving everything a little wiggle until the spring locks the pin in place.

If that little gem of info saves just one person from damaging that spring or the handle then it was worth the effort typing this up. Hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by C5pilot; March 14th, 2011 at 12:45 AM.

(York County)

Default Re: First day shooting Taurus TCP 380

I have put over 500 rds through mine and it keeps getting better and better.

I don't really enjoy shooting it, but I wanted to run a bunch of different ammo through it to break it in.

I have had good luck with Federal and Hornady defensive ammo in mine.

I haven't had trouble getting mine re-assembled but I will try your giggle trick - tee hee.

(Cumberland County)

Little guns can be a real PITA when it comes to manipulating the slide. When you chamber a round let the slide smack forward with as much force as possible. DO NOT ride the slide. Let it snap forward. Also, when manually extracting a chambered round pull the slide back quickly and sharply with much manly vigor. That should keep you out of trouble.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by davidb72 View Post
    I haven't had trouble getting mine re-assembled but I will try your giggle trick - tee hee.
    Damn spell check!

It's more about that locking spring than the wiggle. Mine just won't let the pin get started. Inserting the pin just to start it before putting the slide on made all the difference in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    Little guns can be a real PITA when it comes to manipulating the slide. When you chamber a round let the slide smack forward with as much force as possible. DO NOT ride the slide. Let it snap forward. Also, when manually extracting a chambered round pull the slide back quickly and sharply with much manly vigor. That should keep you out of trouble.
    Glad to hear it's not just mine. Your description is exactly how mine is reacting, so I guess it's normal. Thanks for the help.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by C5pilot View Post

Glad to hear it's not just mine. Your description is exactly how mine is reacting, so I guess it's normal. Thanks for the help.
    Yup. I have a P32 that acts like a little biotch if I don't manhandle it.
    Selling off a a sizeable Spyderco collection here

A long time ago I had a Marine Gunny tell me to rack the slide and let it go. I've done it with everything from .22's to .45's and it works the best.

I read some place that some of the .380's have trouble with HP's because of the angle of the feed ramp. They were made to take FMJ's only. I've never had any trouble with mine but I have not shot a lot of HP's.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by rwb1500 View Post
    THIS ^^^

Damn spell check!

It's more about that locking spring than the wiggle. Mine just won't let the pin get started. Inserting the pin just to start it before putting the slide on made all the difference in the world.

Not necessary. You insert the pin at a 45* angle, using the sharp leading edge to compress the spring. You then turn it vertical and push it in. After doing it 5 times you will realize the way you are doing it is more difficult.

Federal Hydroshocks perform extremely poorly out of these guns. They do not expand really at all and you might as well be shooting FMJ. I carried them too until I did some reading on elsiepea .com (For the LCP, basically same gun)

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    Not necessary. You insert the pin at a 45* angle, using the sharp leading edge to compress the spring. You then turn it vertical and push it in. After doing it 5 times you will realize the way you are doing it is more difficult.
    Can't envision this at all. The spring is located too far beyond the edge to allow me to insert the pin on an angle with the slide in place. Is it possible it may wear enough to allow this or maybe a redesign? My serial # is 3***3B.

Federal Hydroshocks perform extremely poorly out of these guns. They do not expand really at all and you might as well be shooting FMJ. I carried them too until I did some reading on elsiepea .com (For the LCP, basically same gun)
    That was the only HP I could find at the time. Still looking for Hornady CD and have the box of Remington 102gr HP to ask about. Any advice on using 102gr in this gun? I see Gunblast test fired a 100gr but nothing higher.

(Allegheny County)

Can't envision this at all. The spring is located too far beyond the edge to allow me to insert the pin on an angle with the slide in place. Is it possible it may wear enough to allow this or maybe a redesign? My serial # is 3***3B.

You just catch the "bar" of the spring with the edge of the pin, pull back ever so slightly while holding the pin at a 45* angle and turning it vertical at the same time. This gets it out of the way and the pin pushes right in. Just try it a few more times and you'll see what I mean I promise.

That was the only HP I could find at the time. Still looking for Hornady CD and have the box of Remington 102gr HP to ask about. Any advice on using 102gr in this gun? I see Gunblast test fired a 100gr but nothing higher.
    I'm not sure with heavier loads. I know there are guys shooting buffalo bore loads out of their LCP's in limited quanitity without issue. Those go up to 100gr and are loaded hot.

I just stopped paying for Hydrashok's because they don't work as advertised in these pistols. It's not going to perform worse than FMJ, but if it's not going to perform better, I can put PPU JHP's in the thing and it's less likely to hang up on the ramp being that they are more full nose. You should polish the feed ramp if you are comfortable with a dremel and a felt "bullet tip" polishing head. Do the ramp, and the roof of the chamber. That should aid in feeding.

I had a TCP for about 30 rounds. It broke and was a huge pofs. I exchanged it for an LCP and it's been smooth sailing. But the guns are virtually identical, except I think the LCP has a thicker barrel, but does not lock back on empty.

(Montgomery County)

You just catch the "bar" of the spring with the edge of the pin, pull back ever so slightly while holding the pin at a 45* angle and turning it vertical at the same time. This gets it out of the way and the pin pushes right in. Just try it a few more times and you'll see what I mean I promise.
    I made a quick diagram to illustrate the problem using approximations of sizes, distances etc. Looking from behind the pistol.

Silver = Slide
    Black = Pin
    Red = Spring lock
    Green = Polymer handle

As you can see, there is NO WAY to push down on the red spring using the tip of the black pin. There is no way to put the black pin on a 45 and reach the red spring because there is no sloppiness in the clearances of the pin hole. I refuse to force the pin in hoping the spring clip might be ever so slightly rounded and give way instead of bending.

The only solution, is to do the opposite of what is stated in the manual and start the pin BEFORE attaching the slide. Without the slide there is a little more room to tilt the pin and catch the spring. And yes, I have seen YouTube videos of people assembling their TCP's like the manual says but mine and others cannot be done that way.

I would challenge anyone to insert my latch pin with the slide in place. Cold beer for anyone willing to try and succeed. You lose, you buy. Pretty good wager since I'm a lightweight drinker.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast