Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (York County)

Default Can't get my AimPoint zero'ed???

I recently bought a new AR and a long time ago I acquired an Aimpoint red dot scope that I rail mounted on the rifle. The dot is " Co-witnessed" with the front site (red dot rests directly on top of pin). However, at 25yds I didn't even hit paper????

I pulled to caps off and attempted adjust the site but they did not seem right. The dial on top has an arrow that points counter clockwise and has 'Up L', and the one on the side has the same arrow pointing clockwise with 'Up R' printed on it.

How do I get this shooting straight??
    3%

(Washington County)

Default Re: Can't get my AimPoint zero'ed???

I thought for a co-witness, you needed to line it up with not only the front sight, but the rear as well.

Otherwise, you are moving the point of impact, and it is going to be off.

(Allegheny County)

Its not clear from your post, but if you have a "absolute cowitness" mount the RDS is at the same height as the irons.
    Commonly people run "lower 1/3" mounts. If thats what you have, and your looking only through the RDS at the FSP and lining it up then your going to be off

Either way, the dot should cowitness on the FSP when looking through the rear sight at the front as if shooting the irons regularly.
    Without looking through the rear site pay no attention to the FS.

clear ?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    I recently bought a new AR and a long time ago I acquired an Aimpoint red dot scope that I rail mounted on the rifle. The dot is " Co-witnessed" with the front site (red dot rests directly on top of pin). However, at 25yds I didn't even hit paper????

I pulled to caps off and attempted adjust the site but they did not seem right. The dial on top has an arrow that points counter clockwise and has 'Up L', and the one on the side has the same arrow pointing clockwise with 'Up R' printed on it.

Just make sure you're on paper using the iron sights at 25 yards. Then while aiming through the irons adjust the red dot to just touch the top center of the front post. Fold down you irons and you should be right on the money. BTW, your cheek weld should not change between using the irons and the aimpoint.
    Toujours prêt

(Allegheny County)

Question Re: Can't get my AimPoint zero'ed???

Are you adjusting for the holdover of your rail?

(Cambria County)

Need more info.

Mounts all tight?

Irons and RDS both mountd at the exact same hight? Some irons are different than the 'mil-spec' height, and if you manage to "co-witness" them, the RDS will be way off.

Do you have astigmatism? I've heard that can make the use of a RDS problematic.

Are you using the maximum brightness on the RDS? For zeroing, you should use the dimmest setting you can. Even with the brightest setting you should still be on paper tho.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brown-Bear View Post
    The dial on top has an arrow that points counter clockwise and has 'Up L', and the one on the side has the same arrow pointing clockwise with 'Up R' printed on it.

It's labled that way because the optic can be rotated and mounted in 2 different positions (knob on left or right). Whichever knob is located on top, that's YOUR UP arrow marking. Then the side knob has the marking as either left or right as indicated.

Just remember top knob is always UP/DOWN (elevation), side knob is always LEFT/RIGHT (windage). Then just follow the arrows.
    Last edited by C5pilot; March 28th, 2011 at 09:28 PM.