Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northumberland County)

Default Big John's Guns - Montoursville - recent gun show

I attended the recent show in Pennsdale on 3/5-3/6. Came across the dealer's tables known as Big John from Montoursville, PA. He doesn't have a shop per se, but as far as I know, works out of his home by appointment and works regional gun shows. He had quite an inventory with him, with several tables set up, and his prices seemed to be quite decent, so I was checking them out.

I was there about 10 minutes, when two disabled gentlemen in wheelchairs approached from my left. I gave them space so they could take a look at John's pistol displays. One of the men struck up a conversation with John about a couple of pistols.. As they were conversing, a young man who had been assisting the wheelchair-bound man (who I assume was the gentleman's son) leaned over and asked something, to which the man replied, "Go to the dealer down that aisle (pointing) I think you'll find it cheaper there."...then he turned back to continue his conversation with John.

At this point, in a loud voice, Big John says, "I don't want you as a customer. Conversation over, you can just leave." The disabled man looked amazed, and asked what he did wrong, to which John replied, "That was rude, sending your kid down to that other dealer. You can buy a gun from him, because I won't sell one to you."...and he walked away. The disabled man and his companion wheeled themselves away, shaking their heads.

For the next ten minutes I stood there while Big John "held court" and told anyone who would listen, "That's why I don't have a shop. People want to come by and stand around talking about guns all day." ...and..."Nut jobs, just like that guy."...and..."Most people are morons and don't really know anything about guns..." on and on, ad nauseum.

I'm sure I wasn't the only one who witnessed this fiasco and was totally disgusted. From some of their insignia, the two men in wheelchairs looked like veterans, and should be accorded respect. Really they should be treated with respect no matter their military background.

How did John know exactly what the man's son asked about? And so what if he did? Is that any way to treat a (potential) customer?

From what I've read on here about other folk's experiences with John, and what I witnessed personally, I would never purchase a firearm from Big John. He has a history, and is rude, condescending, a know-it-all in the extreme, someone who is not only opinionated but has to have the last word in every situation... All of which is symptomatic of being a bully.

Does he have a good inventory and prices? Yes, from what I saw. But that isn't the only things to being a good, trustworthy and reliable dealer. Who would want to go to him if they had a question or problem after the sale? Not me, that's for sure, because I'd be labeled a "nut job" or a "moron."

If he really feels that way about the good people of Pennsylvania, he should find a different line of business. From what I've read, and what I've seen with my own eyes, he doesn't seem the least bit interested in becoming a high-quality gun dealer, focused on customer satisfaction at every stage of the sale. Instead, he seems more focused on building some kind of elitist, private clientele that caters to his every whim exclusively, feeding his massive ego and wallet simultaneously.

As for me, I'd rather spend a few extra dollars and deal with some of the other polite, respectful and genuinely helpful dealers like Tripoli's in Williamsport or Ray Hartman in Linden. Big John could learn some big lessons from them...Like a good dose of humility and and even bigger dose of gratitude.

(Clinton County)

Default Re: Big John's Guns - Montoursville - recent gun show

Quote Originally Posted by jimwitt View Post

Now I WAS angry, and loudly told him, "You know what, John? You're a big a**hole." ...and I hung the phone up on him.

Now, my last words to him were inappropriate,
    From what I have heard from many sources your last words were inappropriate. You should have said You are a Big F***ing a**hole.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

(Clinton County)

People like that are the reason I only use two shops,National in Jersey Shore and Sauers in Wmspt.
    P.E.t.A.=people eating tasty animals!!!

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by lagnaf41 View Post
    People like that are the reason I only use two shops,National in Jersey Shore and Sauers in Wmspt.
    I don't have any experience with Sauers, but Matt and Adam at National Sporting Goods in Jersey Shore are great guys to deal with. They are doing a very good job since taking over from the previous owners. Good selection and fair prices, very friendly and knowledgeable.

You can't ask for more than that. They are pretty much getting all my business now...I also deal with Ray Hartman from Survival Response Technologies in Linden. He does FFL transfers for $20.
    Great website & advertising design for reasonable prices: www.ksaag.com

(Berks County)

Adding another negative review of this guy. A buddy just bought a handgun from him at a show. The gun didn't function at all, constant lock-ups, jams, FTFs. He called John five times over the course of a week, seeking to return/replace/repair/anything. No response. So he sent the pistol back via UPS. Well, that seemed to work. John called him back, screaming and ranting and raving about having him arrested for sending a gun in the mail (UPS, perfectly legal). So, he told John to go ahead and do what he had to do, call the ATF or whatever, and then called AmEx and canceled the sale. He saved the message to a recorder if anything does come of it. (Actually, there were two messages - one claiming he never received the pistol, and another stating that he did.)

I've had my own experience with him, several months ago. I was perusing a table with some Saigas and FNs, and he started urging me to "buy immediately, as every one of these guns would be banned from import very soon." Fear-mongering. Exactly what the firearm industry needs to drive prices up again as high as possible. I walked away.

(Berks County)

Smile Re: Big John's Guns - Montoursville - recent gun show

I went to several gun shows and gun shops having no luck finding what I was looking for (the new Colt Mustang Pocketlite). This is my first gun purchase and I wanted a forever gun and after much research, this was the one I had to have.
    Saturday, I went to the gun show at the Reading Expo Center and every dealer I asked about the Colt looked at me like I had two heads. They have been waiting to get their orders for MONTHS! They also treated me a bit different, probably because I was a girl.
    The last gun dealer I came to, with not much hope was Big John's Guns...They had it, and they were wonderful to me! They made my first gun purchase comfortable for me even though they were super busy with other gun purchasers. They were a popular stand.
    Anyone who had bad service from them might have just caught them when they were exhausted because they were the busiest dealer I saw there.
    I travel to Sullivan County for camping and pass Montoursville and will make it a point to stop in there. I was very happy with their service to me.

(Lackawanna County)

I was at the Slippery Rock show a few weeks ago, bought a new Auto-Ordinance parkerized 1911 .45 from Big John's guns. He had a large selection of firearms, had 3-4 other guys working with him. Honestly everyone treated me and my wife very nice and professionally. Answered my questions, helped with paperwork and congratulated us on our purchase. It was the very end of the show too right at closing time. I havent taken it out yet for a shoot but its brand spankin new. I did overhear them assisting other customers to other vendors for ammo, accessories, etc. Overall a positive experience.

(York County)

I miss the Big John drama now that I live in Minnesota. I've had both ends of extremes in dealing with him. Once, he was a total asshat. Another occasion, he was great. Maybe he is bipolar?
    9mm = 45acp set on "stun"

(Berks County)

Thumbs down Re: Big John's Guns - Montoursville - recent gun show

My husband and son's and I were at the Reading Expo Center this afternoon. My 20 year old stopped at Big Johns gun display and picked up a gun. He was told to "put that gun down". He put it down. He was told "don't touch it unless you are going to buy it". My son responded that he was planning on buying it but not now. Joe from Big John's told him "you don't have the money to buy that gun". Then he called my 18 year old a fat ass and proceeded to start to talk to his fellow workers about the boys, turning and shooting them the finger.
    They came to my husband and I and told us what had happened. We walked over to the stand and my husband asked him why he had called my son a fat ass. He said that my son is a dick and proceeded to curse my husband out calling him a dick and many other foul names. He then said that my husband came over cursing him out. I said I think you are the one cursing everyone. So he called me and F----- bitch and told me to go home and take my meds. He seems to me to be mentally unstable. I would NEVER buy anything from someone who is soooo disrespectful for prospective buyers. My son had his money looking to buy a gun but would never do business with someone who is so disrespectful and so unstable. I would warn everyone to stay away from this dealer.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericka View Post
    My husband and son's and I were at the Reading Expo Center this afternoon. My 20 year old stopped at Big Johns gun display and picked up a gun. He was told to "put that gun down". He put it down. He was told "don't touch it unless you are going to buy it". My son responded that he was planning on buying it but not now. Joe from Big John's told him "you don't have the money to buy that gun". Then he called my 18 year old a fat ass and proceeded to start to talk to his fellow workers about the boys, turning and shooting them the finger.
    They came to my husband and I and told us what had happened. We walked over to the stand and my husband asked him why he had called my son a fat ass. He said that my son is a dick and proceeded to curse my husband out calling him a dick and many other foul names. He then said that my husband came over cursing him out. I said I think you are the one cursing everyone. So he called me and F----- bitch and told me to go home and take my meds. He seems to me to be mentally unstable. I would NEVER buy anything from someone who is soooo disrespectful for prospective buyers. My son had his money looking to buy a gun but would never do business with someone who is so disrespectful and so unstable. I would warn everyone to stay away from this dealer.
    If this is the guy I am thinking of I believe I may have run into him at the Harrisburg show a couple of years ago, this would have been the summer after the 2008 election.

As far as dealers and personality types go, if someone offers better customer service, has a better personality, etc..etc..I really have very little problem with paying a little more for an item that may be available from another dealer with "personality issues" for somewhat less money. Worst feeling in the world is to make a purchase from an asshole dealer...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast