Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Are You Ever Concerned Where Your Gun is Pointing?

First of all, a little background. I started carrying concealed last year with my XD 9 in an IWB holster at 4 o'clock. With this setup, the muzzle of my gun was almost always pointed at the ground. Even while seated, it was angled downward. I recently purchased a Kahr PM9 and have begun carrying in a pocket holster in my front right pants pocket. While out to dinner last night with a lady friend, I realized that the way the PM9 sits in my pocket while seated, it was pointed directly at her abdomen the entire dinner. Now I am a firm believer of "Don't point a gun (loaded or unloaded) at anything you aren't willing to destroy". I am very confident in my PM9 and my pocket holster, and know the gun isn't going to just go off by itself, but just the moral implication of having my gun pointed at people while I am sitting makes me a bit uneasy.

Has anyone else considered this? What are your thoughts on pocket carry in respect to the situation I described? Am I carrying wrong as in the gun should never be pointed in anyone's direction while concealed? Am I just paranoid? Like I said, I am new to pocket carry and would like to hear your opinions. Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Are You Ever Concerned Where Your Gun is Pointing?

A holstered handgun is nothing but intricate machine parts with ergonomic trimmings, especially if it's a hammer-and-firing-pin traditional piece without any failure-prone fail safes. Rest easy.

(Carbon County)

i never even think about it, but i wouldnt have a problem, hell if its in my pants it points at my balls somethimes and it doesnt make me nervous

(Washington County)

I actually have thought about this, I sometimes carry a P3AT in my pocket and with mine I can reach in my pocket and adjust the whole holster and gun a bit to point more downward. It would all depend on the pants and how loose the pocket was and the holster (DeSantis Nemesis here) though. I don't worry about this though, like people have said it's in a holster and not being messed with I feel confident it won't go off on it's own.

Also you could consider a KHolster or a crossbread mini tuck, it's surprising how much more concealable the mouse guns are iwb at 3 or 4 oclock than your XD or in my case my m&p compact.

(Bucks County)

I think about this a lot. A holstered gun is only safe until it slips out of the holster. Just make sure the retention is substantial, and obviously don't put anything else in that pocket that could snag the trigger. You will be fine with the PM9 because the trigger is so ridiculously long and somewhat heavy.

(Erie County)

Only when it's in my hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Centre County)

It would be interesting to see some statistics. Guns that accidentally go off by machanical vibration or shock probably pale in comparison to the ones accidentally discharged when being held by a person.

(Jefferson County)

do you worry when your car is aim towards the house when parked in the driveway?
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

Just ask your lady friends to put on some kevlar before going out for the evening

Seriously though, if it's a good holster with quality retention and trigger protection, and you keep the pocket clear of anything else, wouldn't worry too much.

(Allegheny County)

I shoot CMP with a bunch of guys who insist on carrying (OWB) while on the firing line. Its a bit weird being behind the firing line looking down the barrel of their handgun when they are in the prone position. I've never quite gotten use to it, so I make sure I don't remain directly in line with the muzzle, even though its unlikely it would AD.
    Toujours prêt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast