Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Just Thinking (This didn't happen)

I have a valid non resident LTCF from Virgina. I am a Pennsylvania resident. Suppose I am driving through the State of Delaware. (Delaware recognizes a LTCF issued by Virgina). Say I get pulled over on 95 and while fumbling for my driver's license registration and proof of insurance, the trooper notices I'm carrying a firearm. He asks me about it. I tell him I have permit for it. He says can I see it. I say sure and hand him my non-resident LTCF from Virginia and tell him that Delaware and Virginia recognize each other's permits. Trooper's response: Let me get this straight, you sir are a Pennsylvania resident, you have a valid non resident permit to carry firearms from Virginia, and Delaware recognizes a permit from Virgina? I respond, that's exactly correct sir. Trooper's response, you expect me to believe that? My response, yes sir I do. What happens next I have no idea. I envision the trooper calling a supervisor for back up and me being detained for a long period of time while they attempt to unravel this mystery.

Default Re: Just Thinking (This didn't happen)

Quote Originally Posted by bob2055 View Post
    I have a valid non resident LTCF from Virgina. I am a Pennsylvania resident. Suppose I am driving through the State of Delaware. (Delaware recognizes a LTCF issued by Virgina). Say I get pulled over on 95 and while fumbling for my driver's license registration and proof of insurance, the trooper notices I'm carrying a firearm. He asks me about it. I tell him I have permit for it. He says can I see it. I say sure and hand him my non-resident LTCF from Virginia and tell him that Delaware and Virginia recognize each other's permits. Trooper's response: Let me get this straight, you sir are a Pennsylvania resident, you have a valid non resident permit to carry firearms from Virginia, and Delaware recognizes a permit from Virgina? I respond, that's exactly correct sir. Trooper's response, you expect me to believe that? My response, yes sir I do. What happens next I have no idea. I envision the trooper calling a supervisor for back up and me being detained for a long period of time while they attempt to unravel this mystery.
    I am guessing if you had an idiot officer that did not know the law he would call in to check warrants and that. A smart officer might clarify with someone, and idiot might hold you there for a little bit until four more cars show up ( and they wonder why our states have budget issues) and someone will probably know the deal.

Feel lucky though its easier for you carry in delaware with the valtcf than a delaware resident to get a delaware permit. The process is straight foreward but expensive and time consuming.

(Montgomery County)

Go here for more info:

http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...ity_maps.html#

Click the 2nd map (Permits Honored by State), and click on Delaware. Virginia being blue looks like it indicates that any VA permit is OK in Delaware. (If VA was yellow, then only a Resident VA permit would be valid in Delaware.

Looks like you’re OK, but this is the internet so YMMV.

Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. -- Jeff Cooper

(Delaware County)

Most people get an out of state license for more reciprocity then their home state gives, not for a loophole, like Philly thinks.

I have a non-resident Utah license specifically so I can carry in Delaware since Delaware recognizes Utah, like they do Virginia.

There's always a chance a LEO may not know or understand the law, but legally if you have a license from a state Delaware recognizes you're good to go. I keep a copy of the Delaware reciprocity regs in my wallet, just in case.

There are some states that will only honor a license if you live in the state the license is from but Delaware is not one of them.

If you are a PA resident you should also have a PA LTCF
    (since you got a non- res from other state )

Why not just show both ?

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by bob2055 View Post
    Trooper's response, you expect me to believe that?
    "No, I expect you to know the law and cite me if I am in violation or allow me to go if I am not. Am I free to go?"
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    Most people get an out of state license for more reciprocity then their home state gives, not for a loophole, like Philly thinks.

I have a non-resident Utah license specifically so I can carry in Delaware since Delaware recognizes Utah, like they do Virginia.

There's always a chance a LEO may not know or understand the law, but legally if you have a license from a state Delaware recognizes you're good to go. I keep a copy of the Delaware reciprocity regs in my wallet, just in case.

There are some states that will only honor a license if you live in the state the license is from but Delaware is not one of them.

Just as an fyi ( as i found out from a friend) delaware will honor a Florida permit for a PA resident, but if you live in delaware they will not honor the same permit. Seems to me that is treating citizens of different states in a different way. I thought that was illegal.

(Monroe County)

I'll throw him for a real curve ball I have a Res VA Permit and am a PA res.
    Then again my USN Ret sticker would explain alot to him.

So far the 2 encounters I've had with DE troopers have been very professional.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAS&W View Post
    If you are a PA resident you should also have a PA LTCF
    (since you got a non- res from other state )

Why not just show both ?
    Philly PD denied me based on a 10 year old arrest, which all charges were withdrawn, citing the "character and reputation" clause in state law.

(Centre County)

To bad South Carolina won't issue to non-residents unless you qualify. Who wants to buy some beach houses? Then we might qualify. Then there is the approved class to take....so $400,000 late we can get our permits, hurray!!!

Side note, wasn't their something about the SC senate debating over honoring additional states LTCF?