Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Range Report ... LCP, 24/7 Pro, and Judge

I was at the range today with one of my buddies and got to shoot a few handguns for the first time so I figured I'd write a little review on them. First off was his band new Taurus Judge that was fresh out of the box, it was the SS model I believe that has the 3" chamber. He picked up some cheap Silver bear steel cased .410 magnum slugs and buckshot. Before I got to shoot the thing he emptied 5 rounds down range and when he went to eject the spent shells from the cylinder he couldn't. After about 5 minutes of tapping the plunger with aboard of pliers we got the spent shells out. I proceeded to load it up and fire. I was impressed by how easy it was to shoot meaning that the recoil was very tame, far less than I expected. I was able to fire with one hand and stay on target at 7 yards. When I was finished shooting I had the same problem that he did however after shooting uncoils not get the shells from the cylinder. Once again we tapped the plunger until they came out. He loaded again, as he went to pull the hammer back to shoot he couldn't get it to go back. After a few minutes of tinkering he decided to put it away and it was on to the next pistol, the LCP. I found the LCP pretty uncomfortable in my hand and couldn't get a very good grip on it and I have small hands. My first 6 shots were pretty awful which I attribute to the painfully long trigger pull. However after a few more mags a grew accustomed to the trigger and was able to shoot accurately with it at 5 and 7 yards although there is basically no sights on the pistol. Thirdly i shot his Taurus 24/7 Pro chambered in .40 S&W. I lived this pistol from the second i picked it up. It was very comfortable in my hands and felt well balanced. The trigger is a little funny on this as well but I shot it great. I mean I was more accurate with this than I was with my own M&P9 at 10 and 15 yards. I was very very impressed with it and am considering buying one. Well that's my two cents for what it's worth, if anybody else has some experiences with these 3 pistols I'd love to hear them.
    Last edited by wally36; March 6th, 2011 at 09:35 PM.

Richland Township (Bucks County) PA, Pennsylvania
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Range Report ... LCP, 24/7 Pro, and Judge

I own a 24/7 Pro in the compact .45 ACP version and have yet to shoot it... your review gives me hope as I've heard a lot of negative buzz!

Thanks for the reviews!
    "More is lost through indecision than wrong decision"

Try shooting normal .410 shells from the Judge, not the steel cases and make sure it's chambered for 3 in shells. The ones I've shot had no trouble ejecting a case. It could also need cleaned.

I own a 24/7 Pro in 40 cal like you I found it a very accurate and reliable gun, after you get use to the trigger. My gun is a long slide version I use it as my Home protector along with my shotgun, its 15 rounds of 40 cal makes it an awesome pistol, I know that the G22, XD and M&P hold 15 ronds maybe more in XD but that just puts the 24/7 in there awesome company. I'm impressed with the Gun.

I can't wait for the 2nd Gen 24/7s going by the Taurus catalogue it going to have a Glock like trigger and take down. The Take down is my only complaint against this version of the 24/7.

I started to get mine in 45acp but I opted for the Glock 21sf instead, the 24/7 45acp was having some jammig problems until the fixed magazines.
    Last edited by Neko456; March 9th, 2011 at 07:29 PM.

(Indiana County)

If that goofy Judge was not cleaned of it's storage oil/grease and was indeed "right out of the box", that might be the problem right there. Oil and or grease left in places that it should not be or left on too heavily in some places will cause problems with some guns.

The other problem might be the ammo, but I've used that stuff for test firing pumps and break open shotguns and never had a problem with it, even with Rossi/Braztech single shots.

(Delaware County)

The Judge was not cleaned prior to shooting which was also my first comment about the shells being stuck in the cylinder. I was actually at the counter with him when he purchased the Jude so I don't know for sure but he said that in fact it was the 3" model. I'll have to talk to him after he cleans and then shoots it again because I was really impressed by the way the thing shot. I just saw that Buds has the 24/7 Pro listed at $322, I'm going to have to stop in my local shop and ask them to get me a price on one because of it's close to Buds price I'm buying one.
    Last edited by wally36; March 7th, 2011 at 10:16 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Check the chambers in the cylinder. Its very likely not polished smooth. I looked at mine and saw that it was a bit rough inside. My 45 Colt brass ejected no problem, but the smooth Winchester hulled 410 shells got stuck and required some exertion. if chamber isnt smooth then, plastic is going to get hung up on any rough spots.

I am going to research what people say about polishing these things. I dont want to get it all out of spec, but I figure if I use a very fine polish on a Dremel at low speed I should be OK. Trick is to do a litle bit at a time and check frequently on progress.

I will say my .45 Colt from 3" barrel was VERY accurate at 7 yards. If thats worth anything.

A good polish is Mothers Metal Polish. I use it on cotton shotgun swab on a drill. It works great on feed ramps and chambers.

(Delaware County)

Thanks for the advice I'm gonna call him later and let him know