Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thumbs down Stoney Creek Outfitters

Forget it! Do not do business with these clowns. Five of us (grown men), 3 with Valid PA LTCF permits visit yesterday to support a local gun shop and check out their inventory. I haven't been in the store since it was Gun Gallery but followed the thread on PAFOA about it changing hands and was excited to see it. I entered through the door saying hello and commented on how nice it looked. We were in the store approx. 15-20 seconds before the guy behind the counter threw out my two friends who did not display their carry permits. Strange, I have never been asked to show my PA LTCF at Cabela's, French Creek, or any other gun store in my 14 years of purchasing firearms. It is quite a shame, 4/5 of us own our own businesses and they definitely lost our money. We were treated very rudely and I will take my business elsewhere.

Default Re: Stoney Creek Outfitters

i normally dont post on this stuff but i am 100% with you...i have gave this shop numerous chances since its local....first attempt was to transfer 2 pistols..well apparently thats a huge no no...if he did it would red flag his shop he has to contact atf and dea and my local police chief...for 2 guns??? second i go in with a buddy to sell him one of my guns about 45-50 mins till they close no one in the shop...we get informed that we must be crazy because the shop closes in 45 mins and he has been there all day with no break and wants to close 15 mins early...also while im in there i inquire about the new gsg 1911 in .22 first its priced $70 more then the normal shop i travel to about 45 min away..he takes my number and says he will talk to the owner about matching the price...never heard anything from them...last chance went in to look for ar parts..they didnt have what i wanted in stock so i asked if he could order me it..he states he's sure they could but couldnt give me a price as they were too busy...too busy?? 2 people working and 1 person on there range no one else in the store...i have lost all respect for this store and have lost a good 5-10 buyers from people i was transfering firearms with or friends with me when i was attempting to purchase items

(Dauphin County)

I will have to 3rd this. I was in there to do a transfer the guy was real paranoid asking questions and what not. Had the gun in his hand, and I asked for a part for it. Not thinking I just took it and he sold me the wrong part. I learned my lesson that just because someone is behind the counter doesn't mean they know what they are doing.

(Chester County)

I went and checked them out and after sizing me up they treated me fair and with respect. I don't see anything wrong with having strict rules for compliance in place. My buddy owns a shop and he has similar procedures in place. Having said that I think they are light on inventory but they are a start up shop and don't have a lot of moola yet. I think they are decent guys and if I were in the area again I would stop by.

(Chester County)

Not to pile on but I went there about a month ago during their hours to be open and they were closed up.
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by libertydog View Post
    I went and checked them out and after sizing me up they treated me fair and with respect. I don't see anything wrong with having strict rules for compliance in place. My buddy owns a shop and he has similar procedures in place. Having said that I think they are light on inventory but they are a start up shop and don't have a lot of moola yet. I think they are decent guys and if I were in the area again I would stop by.
    Strict rules that make you lose business are absurd. If you won't even allow people in the store who don't have a LTCF but are a start up shop working on increasing inventory, how long do you expect to stay in business?
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by libertydog View Post
    Rules for compliance with what? Why should someone have to show a LTCF to walk into a gun store? There goes a lot of potential costumers who just want a gun for hunting or home defense and don't have a LTCF, I have one and if I'm ever told I need to show my LTCF just to check out a store I'll tell them to shove it on my way out the door.

Disclaimer- I am not white, have a lctf , shoot at stony at least once a week and have spent some time behind the counter helping but don't have any stake in the shop beyond it being a great local gun store.

What everyone fails to see is what the gun store was before it become Stony Creek. The place was a nightmare, high prices and lots of shady business that ended up with it being shut down. The new ownership is starting with a bad reputation and is under constant scrutiny from the atf and community in general. Therefore they have enacted rules to ensure 100% transfer rate and make sure the place is seen as upstanding business that is beyond reproach. If i am not mistaken the policy to enter the store is on the door. They don't pick and choose who they ask and anyone that has questions about Ltcf and acts mature about it is given all the info and even a pamphlet on how to get one.

Yes this may turn away business but if you have a lctf , act mature and want to visit a shop that will bend over backwards to get you what you want , is a safe place to go shooting and has many years of Military , law enforcement , and Class 3 experience this place is for you.

Finally not to direct this at anyone that has posted before but as with any complaint you only get one side of the story. If anyone has any question they can pm directly. I may not have all the answers but have no problem fielding any constructive questions.
    Last edited by Pagoda240; March 11th, 2011 at 12:52 PM.
    Tantric Shooting Team

Maybe because your a member and shoot often they stride to help you.As for me i just dont see it. I've tried numerous times to go there and everytime if its not something in stock it seems like the guy would have the same reaction to me asking him for a price on something he would have to order would be the same reaction as asking for a 50% discount. I dont feel the word outfitters belongs in the name. The shop is directed twoards people with ltcf's.What about the oldtimers who love to hunt, or the guy who just wants some targets, or the guy who just needs a simple gun part. I feel unless your in there once a week buying something,shooting there, or a friend of someone working there they could care less about you. You say about being an upstanding shop, anytime i went in there to trade/sale a gun it was always a statment how i must have gone to cabelas and got ripped off. How is that good practice? Personal choice but i'd much rather pay $100 more at cabelas and let it take 3 times as long

Not a member, had never been there before. Did a transfer there today and they treated me more than fairly. The very reasonable $25 transfer fee definitely agreed with me.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast