Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Susquehanna County)

Default "Bolt Action" RL550B?

I've been using the same RL 550B since 1991. This machine has loaded tens of thousands of rounds for rifles and pistols. Today I was working on a set of 300 .45 ACP and close to the last 20 or so when after 20 years of flexing and forcing the primer arm back the "operating rod" went spriong and fell in 2 pieces. So to complete today's session I operated the priming function by pinching the arm like the slide on a 1911 then pull and push. Slowed things down a little but no major mishap.

But, a surprise came when after I went through my cleanup routine and called Dillon to order the replacement part. No one answered the phone! It seems they have stopped taking customer support questions on weekends. I don't blame them, it just surprised since it must be a new policy and it has been a long time since I had to call them. Oh well! Tomorow's Monday so no problem.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Northampton County)

Default Re: "Bolt Action" RL550B?

I don't remember them being there on weekends. I always knew it as Monday-Friday. But then, I have only talked to them over the past 1 1/2 years.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Clarion County)

The body collar under the powder hopper cracked on my dillon, where the rod assembly is attached, after only 16 years of use. Was also a weekend so I ordered online, and replacement was here in less than a week. A few years ago I called about a powder bar and they sent me on free. May have luck getting freebie by talking to them.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    The body collar under the powder hopper cracked on my dillon, where the rod assembly is attached, after only 16 years of use. Was also a weekend so I ordered online, and replacement was here in less than a week. A few years ago I called about a powder bar and they sent me on free. May have luck getting freebie by talking to them.
    With their "No BS" warranty, I have never had to pay for a part that broke, even if it was my fault . They truly mean "No BS", I had a friend that got an old 550 that had been abused and neglected for a number of years. He sent it to Dillon and asked to fix it up and gave him his CC# to pay for it. He got it back and the invoice said "No Charge". They probably did $100 worth of repairs. He's been using it for about 10 years now.

When I got my RL550, I did buy the spare parts kit. That way if something (not major like the OP) happened over the weekend, in most cases I could keep going until I could talk to them the next week.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Susquehanna County)

Spoke to Dillon Customer Support today by telephone. I had to wait on hold for about 5 minutes (not a problem) and ordered the new part. It's coming by USPS and they expect delivery by Saturday. No charge!

Just gotta love an outfit that makes an excellent product and takes care of customers too!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Berks County)

Just gotta love an outfit that makes an excellent product and takes care of customers too!
    Dillon is definately top-notch.....but then again so is Hornady, Lyman, RCBS and even Lee. Never had a problem with busted parts getting replaced from any of them.

Companies could learn a lot about customer service and product loyalty from the reloading industry.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    Dillon is definately top-notch.....but then again so is Hornady, Lyman, RCBS and even Lee. Never had a problem with busted parts getting replaced from any of them.

Companies could learn a lot about customer service and product loyalty from the reloading industry.
    I am glad you mentioned this, we too often forget how lucky we are to have shooting and reloading as a hobby. Most of our companies are first rate.