Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: Things to do in Pittsburgh...?

Primanti Brothers, and you must do the Dusquene Incline, it's a ride of a lifetime.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Dauphin County)

So at 24 I think I read you should def go out to Carson St if you are into that kind of stuff. Lots of good bars just make sure you end the night at Mike and Tony's for Gyro at the end of the night it's a hangover miracle cure. If you are more the intellectual sort I suggest Carnegie Museum a def must, one of my usual stops. Hofbrauhaus in South Side works is nice so is Cheesecake Factory and Mitchell's Fish if you like seafood. Incline is a must at NIGHT. Hard to suggest things with not knowing your interests. Zoo is ok I liked the Polar Bear setup. I would also go over by the stadiums for a little bit it is nice over there. DeLuca's in the strip has awesome breakfast. Lots of little places great for lunch on Carson St. I am sure I am missing a ton of stuff like I said hard to know without knowing your interest. Primantis is worth trying but with all this hype I am afraid you will be disappointed. Best on I had was at the Market Square location Pastrami.... My OP

(Delaware County)

yeah..I definitely DID NOT like primanti brother's when I was out a few years ago.

maybe I'm spoiled from the good sandwiches and hoagies from Philly...as someone else mentioned, I wouldn't recommend Pat's or Geno's because I personally think they're inferior to some other shops.

I'll check out some of the suggestions you guys recommended. I definitely don't club so that's out of the question..

historical things are cool to me, so keep those suggestions coming.

thebearpack- where is your gun range? pmsc? I'll likely be going to the group shoot on Sunday.
    Last edited by andrewjs18; March 6th, 2011 at 01:37 PM.
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by andrewjs18 View Post
    historical things are cool to me, so keep those suggestions coming.
    Then you should go see the Fort Pitt Museum and original blockhouse at the point. And I know it's been said but definitely stop in at the Grand Concourse either to eat or just to check out the architecture.

thebearpack- where is your gun range? pmsc? I'll likely be going to the group shoot on Sunday.
    I wish I could do PMSC but it's too far away... I'd never get there. I belong to the Allegheny Country Rifle Club in Ross which is 10 minutes north of downtown. I usually go on Friday afternoons and have the whole place to myself. Being the anti-social type, that's a very good thing! And the beer is cheap at the clubhouse too.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by thebearpack View Post
    Then you should go see the Fort Pitt Museum and original blockhouse at the point. And I know it's been said but definitely stop in at the Grand Concourse either to eat or just to check out the architecture.

I wish I could do PMSC but it's too far away... I'd never get there. I belong to the Allegheny Country Rifle Club in Ross which is 10 minutes north of downtown. I usually go on Friday afternoons and have the whole place to myself. Being the anti-social type, that's a very good thing! And the beer is cheap at the clubhouse too.
    Where do you live that is so far away? I live in north hills and PMSC is only 35 minutes away with good traffic. So far its been worth the drive.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by QuackXP View Post
    Where do you live that is so far away? I live in north hills and PMSC is only 35 minutes away with good traffic. So far its been worth the drive.
    Agreed, from everything I hear there's no doubt it's worth it. But still, 40 minutes each way means I'm gone for 2.5 hours for an hour of shooting. Now I can be at ACRC in 10 minutes so an hour of shooting costs me an hour and 20 minutes tops. I can get out to shoot a lot more that way and usually on a Friday afternoon I'm all alone out there. Plus for what I do I can live with the limitations at ACRC.

Besides, this way Andrew can see two westie ranges if he wants to!

(Allegheny County)

I still love Primanti's.

The Heinz History Center is very cool. http://www.heinzhistorycenter.org/

I am also a member of ACRC but have made it out for the last two group shoots at PMSC. Well worth the time.

(Delaware County)

thanks for the suggestions.

I probably won't be able to hang out on Friday to go to the range because I believe I'm hanging out with lycanthrope so he can install a front sight on my pistol and then we're hitting up some breweries!
    Peace, Prosperity, and Liberty

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle H View Post
    I cant be the only person on here who thinks the Primanti Brothers is one of the most over hyped restaurants in the world. Ive had it 3 times at three different places and I've yet to be impressed.
    I did the obligatory Primanti Bros visit one of the times I was out west, definitely different, cole slaw ON the sandwich, but I didn't think it was anything to write home about. Oh and if ya want a soft drink, ask for a pop, not a soda.

The group shoots are something you should check out, we're not talking about joining.

Agreed, from everything I hear there's no doubt it's worth it. But still, 40 minutes each way means I'm gone for 2.5 hours for an hour of shooting. Now I can be at ACRC in 10 minutes so an hour of shooting costs me an hour and 20 minutes tops. I can get out to shoot a lot more that way and usually on a Friday afternoon I'm all alone out there. Plus for what I do I can live with the limitations at ACRC.

Besides, this way Andrew can see two westie ranges if he wants to!
    I've been to 3 of the group shoots, I'm from the western edge of Philadelphia, 4 and a half to 5 hour drive, the shoots are from 9 am to 1 pm, I had a blast at each one, again it's a once a month thing, more for the meeting of folks than the shooting, but hey if 40 minutes is too much .....

Andrew, do the incline and check out the view at night, GROPA and EM took Jean & me there one time we were out there, cool view.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by soberbyker View Post
    I've been to 3 of the group shoots, I'm from the western edge of Philadelphia, 4 and a half to 5 hour drive, the shoots are from 9 am to 1 pm, I had a blast at each one, again it's a once a month thing, more for the meeting of folks than the shooting, but hey if 40 minutes is too much ......
    To each his own, SB. Family comes first for me and I don't see myself ever giving up an entire Sunday to drive across the state and shoot guns. Maybe when my boy is old enough to go with, but not before. I'll take the club that's 10 minutes away for now.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast