Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Unhappy I need help to join a range!

Hello anybody who cares enough to check out my miserable little thread!

I Live in a crappy little town called womelsdorf and I just last year purchased my first hand gun and Still need to shoot the darn thing. Unfortunately the closest "Free range" is up near hamburg and I don't feel like driving an hour just to get lost on back roads. I am interested in mohnton but it's just too far to go with gas prices the way they are recently.

I know there are a bunch of gun "CLUBS" around where I live. The only problem with these "CLUBS" is that you have to know someone just to join them.

unfortunately...

I'm a pretty shy person and don't open up readily to just anyone. I don't think I would fare well just by going to shooting events and 'mingling' with people. If there is ANYONE who lives near womelsdorf (at most a 30 minute drive) that could help me get into a range I would appreciate the help immensely.

(If it helps, I am a member of the NRA and Have my License to carry)
    For a good time call 555-328-5323

Default Re: I need help to join a range!

How about Myerstown Rod & Gun?

Not far from Womelsdorf.

Just go to;

Wilhelm's Hardware, Lauck's Sporting Goods, Carquest of Myerstown, or Colemans Printing(Lebanon).
    Tell them you want to join, pay them(I think it's $25), they'll GIVE you a card on the spot....The range is about 2 miles North of 422 on Rt 501. The range is about 1/8th of a mile past the clubhouse on the left.

That said, NO Rapid Fire, Paper targets ONLY.
    NEVER TRUST A PRIVATE WITH A LOADED WEAPON OR AN OFFICER WITH A MAP

I know I am not across the street from you, but just so you remember, your invitation to go shooting together is still open. You know how to reach me when you want to go.

And not all clubs require a sponsor to get in. Maybe all of them around you do, but then again there may be one that doesn't. Did you check them all? Joining a club is usually a lot less expensive than shooting at a commercial range, or even driving a long distance to a state game range, which will cost you for a permit soon anyway.

(Cumberland County)

Talking Re: I need help to join a range!

I live in New Cumberland and Drive 30 min to the Palmyra Sportsmans Association... 24 hour indoor archery, Pistol, and 22 rifle range...(3 separate areas)..Supposedly they are going to build another indoor pistol range with Retractable targets....They have outside pistol rifle ranges(up to 200 yards) and all kinds of walking archery targets and trap stuff.. The Membership is $85 for the first year then $65 there after..Best facilities in the area.. If the drive is not to far from you check it out...

(Northampton County)

When I joined my club I didn't know anyone either. I just went to the club house one night and applied. The bartender sponsors those who don't know anyone in the club. Check with your club, see if they do something like that.
    Then join in the fight that will give you the right to be free! ~Les Mis

It's less than 10 miles from Womelsdorf to the Myerstown Rod & Gun.
    NEVER TRUST A PRIVATE WITH A LOADED WEAPON OR AN OFFICER WITH A MAP

(Montgomery County)

One of the clubs I joined it was as easy as finding a group of members standing outside the clubhouse before a meeting and asking "Excuse, can someone sponsor me". The response was "I dunno, depends, do you shoot rifle or pistols".. Some reason there is a divide between the two groups, LoL..

I've shot at the Myerstown range already, it was nice. Travel further up 501 into Pine Grove and visit a Tulpehocken Rifle & Pistol Club event. Print out the application from their website, fill it out and bring it with you. It will be as hard as asking who to give the application to. Bring a rifle or pistol to shoot, their events are fun, and very nice people.

(Schuylkill County)

Strausstown rod and gun, has a rifle range and trap and block shoots, also a bar open in the evenings, not sure about how much to join but yearly dues are 10 bucks. take RT.183 north after you cross I-78 take the 2nd left and follow road back about 1 mile club house is on right and only open in the evenings.
    Shartlesville rod and gun has a pistol, and rifle out to 300yds range also has a 30 target archery course. dues were $25 to join and $10 a year after that. They also run trap shoots ,block shoots and 3d archery shoots. check the northern berks merchandiser for when they have a shoot and then go out on that day and join. Hamburg rifle and pistol shares the same range there dues are higher and require a membership in the NRA, thier membership supplys tripods, shooting jackets, and targets. They used to do cowboy action shoots there, I'm not sure if they still do. I-78 to shartlesville top of the ramp turn north. follow road to first split. Main road goes right you stay left. road to the club is a stone driveway about halfway up the first hill on right. There is a sign.
    between the 2 is a blackpowder rifle range along I-78. Sorry I cant remember the name of the club. I hope this helps.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LilEMT View Post
    When I joined my club I didn't know anyone either. I just went to the club house one night and applied. The bartender sponsors those who don't know anyone in the club. Check with your club, see if they do something like that.
    NOOO... actually he was quite rude. The Womelsdorf Rod and Gun club has a locked door with a buzzer, box, thing and when he finally came out to talk to me he was very gruff and basically said "You have to know someone to get in the club" I don't even know if they have a range or not...I hear gunshots occasionally when I'm out and about.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by GUNGUY45 View Post
    How about Myerstown Rod & Gun?

Not far from Womelsdorf.

Just go to;

Wilhelm's Hardware, Lauck's Sporting Goods, Carquest of Myerstown, or Colemans Printing(Lebanon).
    Tell them you want to join, pay them(I think it's $25), they'll GIVE you a card on the spot....The range is about 2 miles North of 422 on Rt 501. The range is about 1/8th of a mile past the clubhouse on the left.

That said, NO Rapid Fire, Paper targets ONLY.

I heard of them. I think I might have been there once when I turned 18. did it have like a rifle range and slightly askew to the left of that was a small pistol range?

I will definately have to take a day and try those places...I can only pray it's that easy. If it is. I will be a very happy person.

now if only google maps had the address...I'm pretty much lost without using my GPS to find a new place...but once I've been there I'll easily remember how to get there. Hell...just a screenshot with the mouse over the spot where it's at would help a hell of a lot. (I'm hopeless I know lol)
    Last edited by J_RyanM1911; March 20th, 2011 at 08:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast