Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Northampton County)

Default no transfer. no worry?

If in PA you don't need to do transfer on rifles or long guns, what can happen? if in one of my trip to the range a LEO stop me, ask me where I'm going,and decide to run the #'s in my rifle,and without knowing, he find out that it was use in a crime by a previous owner. What can happen to me, can I get in trouble, or the're is no way they can find it,unless it is confiscated.
    KEEP LIVING...KEEP DOING...KEEP SHOOTING

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: no transfer. no worry?

Quote Originally Posted by ElBori01 View Post
    If in PA you don't need to do transfer on rifles or long guns, what can happen? if in one of my trip to the range a LEO stop me, ask me where I'm going,and decide to run the #'s in my rifle,and without knowing, he find out that it was use in a crime by a previous owner. What can happen to me, can I get in trouble, or the're is no way they can find it,unless it is confiscated.
    To find out who the original owner was, they would have to have the ATF find out who made or imported it, then to which distributor it went to, then to which dealer, then to the person that filled out the 4473.

The State Police dont get a copy of the 4473's, only the "Firearm" transfer form that they created for handgun transfers.

(York County)

First off, when you buy or sell a long gun use a bill of sale. It will prove when the weapon was purchased. There are bill of sales on here you can print off.

Second, how is running the SN going to show it was used in a crime unless its stolen?

(Snyder County)

I don't think there is much to worry about with FTF (fact to fact) transfer of long guns. As stated, the police can try and run the numbers through the registry (that doesn't exist), but it won't turn up much. If it was used in a crime, they won't know it by just running the serial number. But they may run the serial number to find out if the gun is stolen and in the database of stolen guns. If the gun was stolen, they are going to take it and you are probably out the money. Just like if you buy a TV from the newspaper and the cops investigating a robbery are led to you. They take the TV and you are out the money. Any private sale is that way. You can try to sue, but good luck.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-online View Post
    First off, when you buy or sell a long gun use a bill of sale. It will prove when the weapon was purchased. There are bill of sales on here you can print off.

Second, how is running the SN going to show it was used in a crime unless its stolen?
    plus 1

always get a bill of sale. how do you know the used gun from a shop is not stolen?

(Northampton County)

Talking Re: no transfer. no worry?

Pardon my ignorance, but is the only way I can find out....thanks guys
    KEEP LIVING...KEEP DOING...KEEP SHOOTING