Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lackawanna County)

Default AR-15 Lower Transfer laws

I know this girl who is into shooting and she's building an AR-15. She is only 20 years, will be 21 in june or july. Has most of the gun built except the lower. She can't buy a lower from a gun store because you have to be 21.

But can she do a ftf transaction with someone to LEGALLY obtain it?

Ex. Person 1 who is 21 or over & has a lower or stripped lower, selling to person 2 who is under 21 but not restricted from owning firearms.

(Cumberland County)

Default Re: AR-15 Lower Transfer laws

Quote Originally Posted by mickey01023 View Post
    I know this girl who is into shooting and she's building an AR-15. She is only 20 years, will be 21 in june or july. Has most of the gun built except the lower. She can't buy a lower from a gun store because you have to be 21.
    I dont think that is correct

if your local dealer won't sell her a lower, I would just find someone who will. I have purchased three lowers in the past two months without filling out the PSP handgun form.

but to answer your question, the PSP abuse of power (AR lowers to 21 or over) does not equal law. Any lower that has never been used IS A LONG ARM until you build a pistol with it. Therefore, she is legally able to purchase a lower from someone with a simple bill of sale.
    Last edited by jachrist; March 2nd, 2011 at 02:26 PM.
    The Beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

Quote Originally Posted by jachrist View Post
    INCORRECT

if your local dealer won't sell her a lower, I would just find someone who will. I have purchased three lowers in the past two months without filling out the PSP handgun form.

but to answer your question, the PSP abuse of power (AR lowers to 21 or over) does not equal law. Any lower that has never been used IS A LONG ARM until you build a pistol with it. Therefore, she is legally able to purchase a lower from someone with a simple bill of sale.
    Sir, I must inform you that you are wrong.

Also it has NOTHING to do with the PSP.

The ATF has ruled that a stripped receiver is NOT a rifle or shotgun , and since it CAN be used to build a FIREARM they will not allow FFL transfers to people under 21.

They have informed all FFL dealers via the Industry newsletter.

This info can be verified by going to the ATF website.

( Unfortunately I am on a restricted computer and can't provide a link right now. )

(Cumberland County)

really??? I remember when the State Troopers issued the press release stating that they wanted AR lowers to be included in their illegal "registry." I was working at the AG office at the time, and I remember it caused quite a controversy.

Please provide the link when you are able. I would really like to see that information.

I still see no reason why she cannot buy one from an individual if she is assembling a rifle.
    The Beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

(Jefferson County)

Here is the skinny on AR15 related transfers:

1. Complete long gun AR15's can be sold from a FFL to someone 18+ yo.
    2. Complete long gun AR15's can be sold privately FTF without a FFL being involved 18+ yo.
    3. Bare AR15 receivers can only be sold from a FFL to someone 21+ yo with only the 4473 form.
    4. Bare AR15 receivers can be sold privately FTF without a FFL being involved.
    5. AR15 handguns can only be sold from a FFL to someone 21+ yo, 4473+PSP forms.
    6. AR15 handguns can only be transferred at a FFL(21yo) 4473+PSP forms, or Sheriff(18yo) PSP form only for private transfers.

About the bare receivers: Since it is not a "rifle" or "shotgun", it is marked as "other" on the 4473 - therefor the purchaser from the FFL must be 21 years old. No PA State Police form is required.

If a FFL is doing it in any form beyond I listed it above - he/she is doing so beyond legal requirements.
    Last edited by knight0334; March 2nd, 2011 at 03:00 PM.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

(Philadelphia County)

Hell, just find someone with a stripped lower & give them her receiver extension. Have them screw it in, by the ATF's defenitions that is now a "Rifle Lower" and by their own decree cannot be built into anything other than a rifle. The "Rifle Lower" may then be legally sold to a law abiding citizen between the ages of 18 & 21.
    *Disclaimer* I am not a lawyer nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. However if the ATF wants to hold us subject to nonsensical fabricated de facto laws, then I say feel free to use those same de facto laws against them.
    Warning: I may not read responses to OP before posting

Okay - here is a link to the ATF Newsletter

FFL Newsletter November 2009

http://www.atf.gov/publications/news...er-2009-11.pdf

The part about frame transfers is on page 3.

(Chester County)

AKS is right. I know this only becuase a buddy of mine just bought a lower at the gun store and i remember the guy saying the lower is just like buying a handgun or something along those lines

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by shortthrow50 View Post
    AKS is right. I know this only becuase a buddy of mine just bought a lower at the gun store and i remember the guy saying the lower is just like buying a handgun or something along those lines
    Not so much.

While dealers can't sell a lower to someone under 21 (per federal law), there is no need to complete the state form (as is required for handguns), and anyone 18 or over can legally purchase one privately, intrastate, without the need for an FFL (unlike handguns).
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by gnbrotz View Post
    Not so much.

While dealers can't sell a lower to someone under 21 (per federal law), there is no need to complete the state form (as is required for handguns), and anyone 18 or over can legally purchase one privately, intrastate, without the need for an FFL (unlike handguns).
    oh ok. understood. I only had limited info

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast