Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Dauphin County Courthouse!

Went in today to get my Passport paperwork filled out. Walked in the front door, I said I needed to check my firearm. I was asked for my LTCF, and to walk through the metal detector. It went off of course. I was just asked to come around to the lockers. The nice old guy wrote me a reciept, and asked me to place the Kimber in the locker. I did so, then went to pick up my things (keys, phone, etc.) at the machine.

Oddly enough, I was NOT wanded afterwards.

This is a bit interesting to me. What would have stopped me from carrying TWO guns in, and going through the metal detector, turning the one in, and then just being let loose??? (other than the fact that I would never break the law like that).

Is this a common practice, or do I just look that non-threatening and honest?

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Dauphin County Courthouse!

No, they screwed up. I'm pretty sure they're supposed to run you through until it stops signaling. If they can't find it that way by removing things from your pockets, they should be wanding.

Complacency is a killer.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

I'd contact the sheriff and explain what happened so that he can tighten his security measures.

Someone with dangerous intent may slip thru some day and cause some big problems.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    No, they screwed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    I'd contact the sheriff
    Yes, they did screw up, and the sheriff needs to know:

There's no statutory authority for the erection or operation of, or the subjection to, magnetometers, scanners, or other searches, found in § 913. By what virtue does the sheriff act?

Even in Minich v. County of Jefferson, 919 A.2d 356 (Pa.Cmwlth. 2007), the Commonwealth Court did not authorize:
    A) wanding
    B) the devices and searches without an ordinance
    Maybe the next case will allow those things. On the other hand, maybe it will not: please read more about the absurdity of the Minich v. Jefferson cases at http://forum.pafoa.org/pennsylvania-...jefferson.html

Does Dauphin County even have such an ordinance?

(Erie County)

Funny you should mention this because the last time I checked my firearm at the Erie County Court House, the procedure you described was very much the same. But the deputy was a rookie, and he forgot wand me after I locked it up. I didnt think much about it, and continued on my way inside the courthouse. Dont you know, he came looking for me! He caught up with me a ways down the hall and asked me to step into an adjacent office for a moment. He's like, "sorry, I forgot to wand you after you locked up your gun." I was like, oh okay. So he did his thing and it was all good.

I complimented him for rectifying his mistake and doing a good job.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post

Complacency is a killer.
    Complacency is poison. How comes we know this and the people we pay seem to miss it?

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Recoil View Post
    Complacency is poison. How comes we know this and the people we pay seem to miss it?
    Unfortunately the people we pay to do these things are the ones that are doing it for 8 mind-numbing hours a day. It is a constant battle against complacency in the security work place. As a CO my job is described as 90% boredom and 10% sheer terror. I say it's closer to 97% and 3%. Training helps, but in the end it's doing the same thing day in and day out that makes us complacent.
    It's all fun and games, til someone shoots your bobber!

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by DethWshBkr View Post
    Went in today to get my Passport paperwork filled out. Walked in the front door, I said I needed to check my firearm. I was asked for my LTCF, and to walk through the metal detector. It went off of course. I was just asked to come around to the lockers. The nice old guy wrote me a reciept, and asked me to place the Kimber in the locker. I did so, then went to pick up my things (keys, phone, etc.) at the machine.

Oddly enough, I was NOT wanded afterwards.

This is a bit interesting to me. What would have stopped me from carrying TWO guns in, and going through the metal detector, turning the one in, and then just being let loose??? (other than the fact that I would never break the law like that).

Is this a common practice, or do I just look that non-threatening and honest?
    In the past few years I've been to the courthouse 3 times and was not wanded or made to pass through the metal detector after checking my handgun.
    Manus Haec Inimica Tyrannis

Its the state capitol for goodness, in central PA! They are not minded that zombies are out there!!! Just be a good lil boy, accept what security is there and move along. Don't cause trouble where none is needed. All those ole retired guys do a fine job, leave em alone. You go and start complaining, the next thing thats gonna happen is all them old guys are gonna get all screwed up and forget stuff, and add stuff, and it'll be a nightmare. Just let the Dauphin county people think its safe with the metal detector the way it is and move along. Thank you!

CL

(York County)

Well at least you can take it in and have a place to check it. Last time I went to York, I was told not to bring anything! Gun, knife, phone, OC spray, nothing. When I went in, the girl running the MD lane looked me up and down, then she coldly said, "...I'm gonna need you to remove the shoes, too."

It was completely arbitrary, I could tell. She gets to decide, and I was the lucky guy. So, as I'm sitting there taking my shoes off, I notice several people, dressed in suit and carrying brief cases, walk right by the detectors and into the courthouse. Call me crazy, but if most of us have to get "fluffed", we all should. No exceptions. I know those guys probably go in and out 100 times a day. Don't care. Either it's real security or it isn't. Which is it?

Anybody test the limits at York?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast