Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CZ-82

(Cumberland County)

Default CZ-82

Have been wanting a CZ-82 for a while. Checked the York Gunshow Saturday, and they were $ 220 - $ 250 pretty beat up - so I finally ordered one from CDNN in Excellent/New condition for $ 189. I want to put some new grips on it - I really like the ones I ordered, here's a pic - too flashy for some I suppose, but I really like them I have heard some post that a new spring kit is good to put in them right away ? Any other tips or tricks before I start playing around with it ? I might take her out for a bit, then send her off for my first gun to be np3'd - sure, the grips and the np3 will cost 2-3 times what the gun cost - but I've decided this will be my "project" gun to play around with and see what can be done for fun. I'm sure I could look it up too, but what is the big difference between 9mm luger and 9mm makarov ?
    Thanks all.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Mercer County)

Default Re: CZ-82

Great pistol, a lot of fun to shoot, usually accurate, and a hell of a lot of quality for the price. I strongly second the recoil spring change, and you might consider getting the Wolff calibration recoil spring pack that has several weight springs. Good news is CZUSA carries CZ83 parts, all of which fit your 82 aside from the slide release spring, and the trigger guard looks different, but works on the 82. AFAIK, they do not sell replacement 9x18 barrels, should that ever be an issue. One gig is the grips crack fairly easily, but your new grips will take care of that potential issue. Also, a lot of the barrels crowns are a mess with these pistols due to rough, neglectful handling/cleaning, and poor finish machine work from the factory.

Performance of factory 90-ish/95 grain 9x18 Makarov is rather sedate as compared to even service level 115 grain 9x19 ammo, but it still packs a decent wallop, especially if you might take up reloading. I'm currently pushing 95 grain Hornady HP's at an avg 1100 fps, with room to add a bit more velocity if desired. They expand well when tested, are accurate, and seem to function fine. I use either cut down 9x19/9mm Luger cases, or new Starline cases for reloading. Soon I will be testing some cast bullet loads using a Lee mold, and fully expect good things as is the case with all the other cast bullets I make and use.

Max allowable pressures are much higher with the 9mm Luger, with 35,000 psi being the max for standard pressure 9mm Luger, 24,000 psi or so as I recall for the 9x18 Makarov. The nominal bullet diameter for 9mm Luger is .355"; .364"/.365" or so for the 9x18 Makarov, and the two CAN NOT be interchanged. I think you will really like your pistol, and amazed at how nice the trigger in DA and SA performs; nice sights too. Lots of great resources out there concerning this pistol, and just a little google work will pay great dividends. Here are three of many good ones:

http://myweb.cableone.net/leolani/cz...sassembly.html

http://sailorcurt.blogspot.com/2008/...82-report.html

http://sailorcurt.blogspot.com/2009/...g-part-13.html

Good luck, and have fun!

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Guns N'at View Post
    Great pistol, a lot of fun to shoot, usually accurate, and a hell of a lot of quality for the price. I strongly second the recoil spring change, and you might consider getting the Wolff calibration recoil spring pack that has several weight springs. Good news is CZUSA carries CZ83 parts, all of which fit your 82 aside from the slide release spring, and the trigger guard looks different, but works on the 82. AFAIK, they do not sell replacement 9x18 barrels, should that ever be an issue. One gig is the grips crack fairly easily, but your new grips will take care of that potential issue. Also, a lot of the barrels crowns are a mess with these pistols due to rough, neglectful handling/cleaning, and poor finish machine work from the factory.

Performance of factory 90-ish/95 grain 9x18 Makarov is rather sedate as compared to even service level 115 grain 9x19 ammo, but it still packs a decent wallop, especially if you might take up reloading. I'm currently pushing 95 grain Hornady HP's at an avg 1100 fps, with room to add a bit more velocity if desired. They expand well when tested, are accurate, and seem to function fine. I use either cut down 9x19/9mm Luger cases, or new Starline cases for reloading. Soon I will be testing some cast bullet loads using a Lee mold, and fully expect good things as is the case with all the other cast bullets I make and use.

Max allowable pressures are much higher with the 9mm Luger, with 35,000 psi being the max for standard pressure 9mm Luger, 24,000 psi or so as I recall for the 9x18 Makarov. The nominal bullet diameter for 9mm Luger is .355"; .364"/.365" or so for the 9x18 Makarov, and the two CAN NOT be interchanged. I think you will really like your pistol, and amazed at how nice the trigger in DA and SA performs; nice sights too. Lots of great resources out there concerning this pistol, and just a little google work will pay great dividends. Here are three of many good ones:

http://myweb.cableone.net/leolani/cz...sassembly.html

http://sailorcurt.blogspot.com/2008/...82-report.html

http://sailorcurt.blogspot.com/2009/...g-part-13.html

Good luck, and have fun!
    Great info., thank you ! Do you think I should go for a 16 or 18 lb recoil spring ?

(Mercer County)

Very welcome.

I have both and the 14.5... 14.5 and 16 is in when my wife is going to be shooting, or powder puff loads are used, 18 when HV handloads are going to be used. Seems a lot of folks like the 16 for a nice compromise, and in practice it seems like a sound solution. Make sure to replace the firing pin spring with the new one provided in the recoil spring package, to complete and compliment the new, stiffer recoil spring.

FWIW, the 18 is pretty hard to rack (esp new) unless your hands and slide are really oil/grease free. To help, I'll add a little powdered bow rosin to the slide, and the results are like night and day. Also do this so my wife can more easily rack the slide regardless of spring weight.

(Cumberland County)

Thanks again. Took your advise and just ordered the calibration pak so I can "play". Is the other spring hard to replace ?

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    Thanks again. Took your advise and just ordered the calibration pak so I can "play". Is the other spring hard to replace ?
    nm - duh, i just found the answer in one of your attachments ! thanks !

(Indiana County)

You'll like the new CZ, they shoot very well. You may want to keep an eye out for a CZ83 in .380 as well, nicer fit and finish but higher priced as well.

The round is similar to the .380 in "power".

The barrels are polygonal rifled so do not be alarmed if you see no rifling in the bore.

As for the springs, you probably didn't have to order them, the PA63 pistols were prime candidates for replacements right out of the "box", but not any of the 3 CZ82's I have ever needed any tweaking, they ran just fine from day one. But I guess spare parts are always OK to have on hand.

Also, if those are the grips from the guy in England, be aware that there is a big problem with them cracking. It seems the guy uses wood that is not dried properly.
    If they are, and you already ordered them, I guess it's a moot point, but if they are the English made ones and you didn't pay yet, you might want to check out the threads over at gunboards.com for more info on them.

Good luck and good shooting, I really like those CZs.

(York County)

Welcome to the CZ vz.82 club! It's still the best value on the surplus market today. I have two and would like to get at least one more

If you're not a handloader, I carry Hornady XTPs in my 82, and thrilled to hear that Hornady unveiled Critical Defense in 9mm Mak at this year's SHOT Show. I carry Critical Defense 9x19mm in my CZ 75 P-01 carry gun, and also have it loaded in my CZ 75 SEMICOMPACT in the night stand. For factory Self defense loads, you can't do much better than Critical Defense in my book!

CZForum.com is also a great resource

(Cumberland County)

More great info., thanks all ! Any recommendations on holsters ? I like to carry owb, high and tight. Don't like paddle's, prefer either open or thumb break. Thanks again !

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
    More great info., thanks all ! Any recommendations on holsters ? I like to carry owb, high and tight. Don't like paddle's, prefer either open or thumb break. Thanks again !

The DeSantis 002 Speed Scabbard fits your preferences.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast