Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Indiana County)

Default LTCF noob looking for some advice

I recently got my LTCF. I'm not carrying yet. I'm looking for a good holster that fits my daily work wear (polo and khakis, shirt tucked). I've read a lot of info on here about the crossbreed holsters and have seen mention of a couple others, Kingtuk, and the like. I've done a reasonable amount of reading on here and online concerning CC methods and see that this is probably the best option I have, wearing a tuckable holster at around the 8:30/9:00 position. I may have to lose a bit of weight to have the extra room, though (stupid holidays and their delicious cookies/sweets).

I guess the question is this - Beyond the "Training/Practice/Mental Preparation" (I'll take any thoughts on those, too), is there any good, reliable reading I should do about different carry methods, and do the good folks of the PAFOA boards have any tips for a noob? I want to get to a point where I'm prepared to carry before I actually do.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    IndyPABrewGuy

(Delaware County)

Default Re: LTCF noob looking for some advice

Quote Originally Posted by IndyPABrewGuy View Post
    I recently got my LTCF. I'm not carrying yet. I'm looking for a good holster that fits my daily work wear (polo and khakis, shirt tucked). I've read a lot of info on here about the crossbreed holsters and have seen mention of a couple others, Kingtuk, and the like. I've done a reasonable amount of reading on here and online concerning CC methods and see that this is probably the best option I have, wearing a tuckable holster at around the 8:30/9:00 position. I may have to lose a bit of weight to have the extra room, though (stupid holidays and their delicious cookies/sweets).

I guess the question is this - Beyond the "Training/Practice/Mental Preparation" (I'll take any thoughts on those, too), is there any good, reliable reading I should do about different carry methods, and do the good folks of the PAFOA boards have any tips for a noob? I want to get to a point where I'm prepared to carry before I actually do.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
    IndyPABrewGuy
    Welcome to the PAFOA!!

In my opinion there is no one holster that does it all. I prefer the belt mounted outside the waist holster for me. I do not enjoy any inside pants holsters if I can avoid them. I also own and use a fanny pack. Many laugh, but in summer, I love it.
    Ankle when needed is also a choice.

So shop around and start somewhere, if you are like me eventually you will have many holsters to fit the varied carried styles sometime needed.
    And TRAIN with them all!!

Good luck and have fun shopping!
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(York County)

It would be helpful if you told us what pistol you wish to put in this holster.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    It would be helpful if you told us what pistol you wish to put in this holster.
    My bad, I have a XD9 4".

(Monroe County)

A good belt makes a world of difference when CC. Many threads about it.

(Pike County)

Let me start with kudos on correct terminology!

About carry itself, I'll second opinions, already posted. Start with the good belt. I've recently purchased suprisingly decent one in surplus store for just 12 bucks. Make sure it's super firm, preferrably - double layer. But at the same time, make sure it fits designated pants loops. There are quite few good belts, that are perfect for the jeans, but hardly fit dress pants.

Second - use your generic XD holster as spare. Frankly, it's piece of shit. I've got Blackhawk Serpa for my XD for around $45 and I don't think I could spend those money more wisely. As a rule - do not go for cheap crap. I've never seen any decent holsters below $40. Do not go for those super-mega-tactical-universal-for-everything ones, that you can wear inside as well as outside the waistband. They are too bulky for IWB, and you can find something much better for the outside. Basically, I have several holsters for my XD. Generic, Serpa, drop holster that I wear to work (I'm an RSO) and cheap IWB Uncle Mike's for deeper concealment when needed.

Standard XD's mag pouch is fine, just make sure it fits on your new belt.
    Je suis déplorable

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by Metz View Post
    Let me start with kudos on correct terminology!

About carry itself, I'll second opinions, already posted. Start with the good belt. I've recently purchased suprisingly decent one in surplus store for just 12 bucks. Make sure it's super firm, preferrably - double layer. But at the same time, make sure it fits designated pants loops. There are quite few good belts, that are perfect for the jeans, but hardly fit dress pants.

Second - use your generic XD holster as spare. Frankly, it's piece of shit. I've got Blackhawk Serpa for my XD for around $45 and I don't think I could spend those money more wisely. As a rule - do not go for cheap crap. I've never seen any decent holsters below $40. Do not go for those super-mega-tactical-universal-for-everything ones, that you can wear inside as well as outside the waistband. They are too bulky for IWB, and you can find something much better for the outside. Basically, I have several holsters for my XD. Generic, Serpa, drop holster that I wear to work (I'm an RSO) and cheap IWB Uncle Mike's for deeper concealment when needed.

Standard XD's mag pouch is fine, just make sure it fits on your new belt.
    I have the SERPA ordered, but I think It'll be more for when I'm carrying OWB. IWB poses a problem for me, in my everyday dress, so I'm trying to decide on going with a Crossbreed or some other tuckable IWB.

Thanks for the belt info. I would have never thought belt choice would play such an important role. Off to do some shopping.

Cheers,
    IndyPABrewGuy

(Cumberland County)

Cool Re: LTCF noob looking for some advice

I agree a good belt is a must. holster wise i have a Galco Fletch Belt Holster
    for my S&W99,around the same size as your XDM9.It is a high ride narrow
    profile very comfortable.Don't forget a magazine pouch.

(Montgomery County)

I have 3 different holster setups which accommodate either my Glock 26 or M&P 40c. I use a Blackhawk on my ankle, a Crossbreed in my pants at the 4 O’clock position, and a DeSantis shoulder holster. Of the 3 I have found that I prefer the Crossbreed the best. I can leave the holster attached to 1 set of pants and just put those pants on whenever I carry. It's very convenient. I've also used the Crossbreed to wear to church with just a pair of dress pants and tucked-in dress shirt. There were no printing or falling out issues.
    I would rather die in a shootout than get assassinated in a "gun free zone"

(Monroe County)

As far as being prepared to carry before you do so, start in the house. Carry the entire time you're home and get used it it that way. The truth is there will be a slight level of paranoia when you start carrying, something along the lines of, "oh man, I think I'm printing, shit". That will fade with time. Truth be told I generally OC when weather permits and if 99% of people I pass by don't notice the gun on my hip in plain sight, and I always carry full size guns, they won't notice some slight printing when you conceal.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast