Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Texas and Airplanes...

Heading down to Texas on vacation shortly and I have been doing some research via handgun law. I must say that Texas is rather prohibitive on where you cannot carry compared to PA. However I'd like some more input from the fine folks here.

Concerns & Issues

Which gun to bring? I can bring a S&W 642 or a Glock 17. I guess this is most dependent upon which gun I feel comfortable concealing most.

Unfortunately Texas is a CC only state while out in public, so how scrutinizing are the police, generally, about concealment. Is any level of printing acceptable or will bending over the grip printing = jail time?

Handgunlaw states that Texas is a, "must inform" state. However it gives no further information on the subject.

Alcohol laws. I don't see anything that makes it illegal to consume and carry. However, it appears any establishment that derives 51% or more of its revenue from the sale of alcohol meant for consumption on the premises is a no go for carry. I'm guessing this means bars are out, which is fine. What about restaurants, I'm assuming most of them, let's go with chains for example, don't come anywhere close to that number?

TSA and the airport. I guess I call ahead and get the information from the TSA and notify them in advance? I'll get a proper lock box and load it up with padlocks. How about ammunition, can I keep that in the same container my gun is in, or must it be in a seperate container? I don't see anything prohibiting hollow point ammunition or a capacity limit in Texas, anything on this?

Thanks in advance..
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Texas and Airplanes...

Here's the skinny on teh flying part:
    http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...rial_1666.shtm

No need to call ahead. Just go to baggage checkin (even if you aren't checking other bags) and let them know at the counter you have a firearm to declare.

(Lancaster County)

I flew in September 2010 and had no problems. I know that you must check-in inside and cannot use curbside check-in.

I'd follow this guide, it worked well for me - [8541 Tactical - Flying with Firearms]
    b-rad

Also check the airline's baggage policies on their web site. There will be a paragraph about firearms. Some will let you put it in the same case; some won't (doesn't really need to be in a case). Ammo has to be in something like factory packaging (not tossed in a box or bag loose).

At the airport, go to the check-in line for special items like skis and golf clubs if there is one. Tell them (quietly) that you want to check a firearm (it's best to avoid "gun"). The airline people may or may not know the rules, but they will THINK they do and trying to "educate" them is a fool's errand. Just go with it unless they want to do something REALLY dumb like putting the red "unloaded" tag on the outside of the outer bag. Give yourself a few extra minutes -- you may need to take a long walk with them to TSA screening.

And NJ is the only place that has the slightest interest in your evil hollow points.

I'm a Texan....<ducks> it really all depends on where you are going.

The only place I have ever encountered remotely poorly attitudinal police is downtown Houston. HPD has issues...I have heard it exists with Dallas PD as well, but never experienced it.

Most places in Texas are problem free. Restricted locations are most of the usual ones you might expect, and otherwise have to be marked with two (English and Spanish) very large sized (1 inch letters) signs on the doors. Avoid "bars" which have 51% rule, despite the fear and quaking in other states we can carry in restaurants serving booze, and have for over 15 years, and have yet to start roaring gun battles over beans being put in Texas chili by the uninformed. In Texas you can drink (I would advise against it strongly) and carry, however you may not be legally intoxicated. Drinking (even if in non intoxicated amount) tends to forfeit you all of the LEO goodwill you would normally have, even if you aren't to the illegal point. That is one area I just wouldn't push in Texas.

In rural Texas, many of the sheriffs and their deputies carry really nice 1911's and are happy to talk about them.

As for ammo restrictions, no. Most LEO"s will advise you the more and better quality you carry the better....

DPS is professional, If pulled over I show DL and CHL, though they removed the penalty for failure to show CHL, and have never been treated any differently than normal. I show, others don't, it's a matter of principle I guess. I would rather the trooper know I'm a good guy at the beginning of the encounter, even though I don't don't face a penalty for not showing it. One trooper asked "where is the pistol?" I answered and he went on about his business, including leaving me in the vehicle unattended while he wrote the gift certificate.

The INTENTIONAL failure to conceal is a crime, I've never heard of a "printing" charge being made, though I guess it is conceivable. Let me say this, since open carry is verboten here, the grip handle showing I guess might cause more alarm than in states where open carry is legal and more frequent. Joe Public might report seeing the gun under your shirt, just stay well concealed. The usual airport stuff applies. You can carry into non secured areas of the airport.

Texas is gun friendly, but as a Texan, I'm ashamed we cannot get over the open carry issue, campus carry and a parking lot issues. Surprisingly enough we have our share of gun cowards in the legislature, some carry the "R" label. Most of the "D"'s are gun friendly too. Despite a pretty friendly atmosphere, I like to vacation in Arizona....they get it.
    Last edited by Firedbrass; March 1st, 2011 at 06:25 PM.

(Butler County)

I fly with a pistol pretty often, the only place I ever had an issue was in Philly. Typically I tell them that I need to declare a firearm as I'm checking in. The ticket agent then gives me the paperwork to fly armed and I have to explain that it's checked in my luggage...

Then they give you a card to fill out and place in the case (as mentioned don't let them leave it on the outside of the luggage they shouldn't but...). Lock it up and then take your luggage to the TSA. I usually use a Sig or Kimber box with 2 padlocks. Ammunition cannot be locked in that same case but it can be in the same bag. If I'm taking two bags I'll usually put ammo in the other bag regardless.

Ammo differs by airline but I've packed loaded magazines in ammo pouches with no issues.

(Monroe County)

Thanks for the info so far guys. I'll have more questions in the morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Havoc View Post
    Ammunition cannot be locked in that same case but it can be in the same bag. If I'm taking two bags I'll usually put ammo in the other bag regardless.

Ammo differs by airline but I've packed loaded magazines in ammo pouches with no issues.
    I flew Continental/United and had the ammo in its original box right next to the gun, all inside a locked container. It may vary by airline, but I think the TSA states that as long as the ammo is in its own container and not in a magazine, you are OK.

You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.
    Last edited by H.E. Pennypacker; March 2nd, 2011 at 12:26 AM.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
    I flew Continental/United and had the ammo in its original box right next to the gun, all inside a locked container. It may vary by airline, but I think the TSA states that as long as the ammo is in its own container and not in a magazine, you are OK.

Actually, it may even be in a magazine in the same case as the firearm as long as that magazine is in a pouch so that no ammo is exposed:

You can't use firearm magazines/clips for packing ammunition unless they completely and securely enclose the ammunition (e.g., by securely covering the exposed portions of the magazine or by securely placing the magazine in a pouch, holder, holster or lanyard).

You may carry the ammunition in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as you pack it as described above.

(Northampton County)

Thanks for the info phillykev. I booked my flight last night for my trip in June to Texas. The lady at AAA said that the ammo could not be in the same container as the gun. I thought she was wrong.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast