Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default best way to conceal a g22?

I have a G22 OD and I'm trying to conceal i order a undertech crewneck conceal shirt im hoping that works out. How do you conceal your G22?

(Bucks County)

Default Re: best way to conceal a g22?

Welcome to the forum!

You mean a Glock 22, or a Walther G22? I'm assuming your talking about a Glock, because the Walther G22 is a bit cumbersome for conceal carry. There are a million ways to conceal a gun, and you will have to just try a few and see which way you like best. What works for me and a thousand other people might not work for you. It depends on your body type, how you dress, how deeply you need to conceal, how active you will be, if you will be in and out of cars all day, etc etc. For a start, try a decent quality IWB (inside the waistband) holster. I would recommend something leather. Stay away from anything that costs around the $15 or $20 mark, like the cheapo Uncle Mikes IWB holsters. They are downright dangerous. You might need to buy pants that are about and inch looser. You don't need to spend a whole lot; try a Don Hume holster for about 30 bucks. If you need to tuck your shirt in, you'll have to spring for a tuckable holster such as a Crossbreed Supertuck, Galco Kingtuck, or Comp-Tac Minotaur. Those will be a little more pricey, at around $70 to $100. If you post a few more details about your situation, maybe we can help you more.
    Last edited by bac0nfat; March 1st, 2011 at 02:52 PM.

(Delaware County)

In a holster...on my hip

(Allegheny County)

While I rarely conceal when I'm carrying my Glock 22, when I do I carry one of two ways:

• OWB in a Blackhawk SERPA (Same as what I OC with) but covered with a loose t-shirt OR a light jacket (I often wear a jean jacket in the spring and fall)
    • IWB in an Unkle Mikes (I know, I know) that I modified a bit, and an un-tucked shirt over it.

I find OWB to be more comfortable, all in all.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by lildobe View Post
    While I rarely conceal when I'm carrying my Glock 22, when I do I carry one of two ways:

• OWB in a Blackhawk SERPA (Same as what I OC with) but covered with a loose t-shirt OR a light jacket (I often wear a jean jacket in the spring and fall)
    • IWB in an Unkle Mikes (I know, I know) that I modified a bit, and an un-tucked shirt over it.

I find OWB to be more comfortable, all in all.
    What do you mean..."I know, I know"....LOL...I happen to like my Uncle Mikes for casual conceal purposes when I can have my shirt, sweater, sweat shirt etc. untucked. For deep conceal I got a Smart Carry ( maybe this is where *I* should go, I know, I know) But now I have two options (and plan to expand on those options) depending on how I will dress, the time of year, etc. , and I am comfortable with both methods.

I just think if you want to conceal, either dress around your weapon or find different ways to conceal depending on how you dress. I doubt there is one way that will work in every situation.

(Philadelphia County)

I did try the uncle mikes IWB better off putting a brick in my waist band it was so uncomfortable... i have a shoulder holster but with a loose shirt it still screams hey look i have a gun...i feel an IWB is the best position for a quicker concealed draw but im new to the conceal carry world so im not familiar with the brands makes and models of the holster families. I do a decent amount of in and out of trucks and bending up and down since im emergency rescue

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by slipknotsteve View Post
    I did try the uncle mikes IWB better off putting a brick in my waist band it was so uncomfortable... i have a shoulder holster but with a loose shirt it still screams hey look i have a gun...i feel an IWB is the best position for a quicker concealed draw but im new to the conceal carry world so im not familiar with the brands makes and models of the holster families. I do a decent amount of in and out of trucks and bending up and down since im emergency rescue
    If an Uncle Mikes holster feels like a brick, either A) You are wearing the holster in a bad position, or B) You will not find any IWB holsters that will work for you. Yes, the Uncle Mikes holsters suck (they let the gun move around, especially after you use them for more than two weeks) but they are far from being uncomfortable. A more expensive IWB holster might feel a little better, but I'm thinking that you just need to try another position. Try shifting the gun and holster back a bit, around the 4:30 to 5:00 position, and see if that feels better. It also helps if your pants fit right and you have a good belt. Its better to have pants that are too tight than pants that are too loose. Your belt should be a gun belt, not just any belt at the department store. If no matter what you do, IWB doesn't feel right, then find an OWB high-ride holster. The only disadvantage of an OWB holster is you need to either have an untucked shirt, or wear a jacket to cover it.

If you are in and out of trucks all day, check out the Galco Sky Cop holster. Its an outside the waistband, high ride, crossdraw holster. It was designed for air marshals, to be easy to draw while sitting down. It might do the trick for you. Also I believe that crossdraw will print less while bending down, since the handle of the gun will point forward instead of backward.

ETA: How about a smaller gun? With something like a subcompact glock, you get a lot more carry options (such as an ankle holster) and you will "print" less.
    Last edited by bac0nfat; March 1st, 2011 at 05:05 PM.

(Butler County)

Where are you carrying and in what kind of holster? As stated previously, you're going to have to dress around the pistol.

I got rid of my G22 but I carried strong side hip in a Blackhawk Serpa with a light attached. Didn't conceal very well but that didn't bother me, I'll OC or CC if I feel like it. If I want to conceal then I'll generally carry a high rise holster with a forward rake just behind my strong side hip. I've been using Galco lately and have been pleased though I also have an Alessi that is top notch.

For me a G22 would be a little big to use a shoulder rig unless it was a vertical rig which I'm not crazy about. But, the G23 and Sig 229 work fine in a shoulder rig for me. I don't like cross draw much but it could be an option as well I suppose.

Best advice I can give you is try to carry your pistol in the same place every time, every day.

In my opinion it is mostly trial and error. I would suggest Milt Sparks if I had to.

Get a good holster and where it on your hip. I like Leather my self. Remember to practice drawing. If you cannot get it out with out shooting your self in the foot it will do you no good.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast