Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Indiana County)

Default Do I need a CCP to.....

Hi everyone,first post here....I only wish to carry a semi auto .22 pistol with me while hiking,I hike most days of the week and usually drive by car to my starting point. If I have no ammunition in the car (just the pistol) would I still need to get the CCP ?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Do I need a CCP to.....

divide up the hiking and driving part.

for driving, if you have the gun and ammo in separate containers, then you may not need an LTCF (license to carry firearms...which is what a "CCP" is called in PA).

(ETA: actually, you might need an LTCF even if the gun and ammo are separate since you are not really carrying it to or from one of the places listed in the exceptions in the PA UFA.)

as for hiking with it. if you carry it openly, you do not need an LTCF (assuming you are not hiking in philly). if you conceal it, though, you do.

and...where are you hiking?

if you are hiking in a state park, be aware that there is a DCNR regulation against carrying a gun in a state park. so, you definitely will not want to carry it openly if you are hiking in a state park.

unless you are unable to get an LTCF for some reason, i strongly suggest you just get one. doing so will avoid all types of potential hassle when it comes to transporting in a car. (since, with an LTCF, you do not have to worry about keeping the gun and ammo separate or any LEOs who might not know the law.) it just makes everything cleaner and easier.
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; December 10th, 2007 at 07:10 PM.

(Luzerne County)

No CCP needed. You need a LTCF Sorry, pet peeve

Seriously though, red covered it pretty plainly. For more detailed info check the two "stickies" at the top of this forum

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...carry-you.html

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...nsylvania.html

PS: WELCOME to PAFOA!
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; December 10th, 2007 at 07:13 PM.

(Indiana County)

Hi Little Red,I just go hiking in the woods on private property.I don't have a problem with carrying it openly.Although I guess that could be a challenge with a bulky winter coat and keeping it in sight.

(Allegheny County)

btw, welcome to the forum foxfire!

you didn't ask, but i'm gonna throw in 2 more cents anyway..

if you are carrying the .22 for protection against woodland critters, you might want to re-think your choice.

a .22 will not provide adequate protection against bears, raccoons, coyotes, or anything much bigger and more ornary than a squirrel.

imho, you want at least .357 mag or 10mm for that around here (bigger if in grizzly country.)

(oh, and make sure you re-read my first post since i edited it...i'm actually not sure you can carry the pistol in your car to your hiking destination without an LTCF even if it is unloaded. the PA UFA provides a very specific lists of times when you can do that...and i don't think driving to a place where you will be hiking falls into any of them. i'm not sure how that all works out in real life.)

here is a link to the PA state laws on firearms:

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI...18/00.061..HTM
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; December 10th, 2007 at 07:21 PM.

(Indiana County)

ok guys thanks for your input.I guess they can get you even if you don't have any ammo in the car what so ever,not just in separate containers,am I correct in that assumption ?

(Montgomery County)

Yeah but what would the purpose of having the gun be if you are unable to use it(no ammo)? If you can get it then do it.

(Indiana County)

I was wondering when someone was going to ask that.I'm a creature of habit,have 3 places where I hike,always park in the same place.It wouldn't be much of a bother for me to stash a few 22 bullets in a zip lock bag in the woods.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Foxfire3 View Post
    I was wondering when someone was going to ask that.I'm a creature of habit,have 3 places where I hike,always park in the same place.It wouldn't be much of a bother for me to stash a few 22 bullets in a zip lock bag in the woods.

Sounds like a lot of trouble to go through considering how easy an LTCF is to get. If you are legally unable to attain one then I would put both the gun and ammo in seperate containers in the trunk and you should be fine. With that said, if your carrying that to protect yourself from animals in the woods, it is some what an excercise in futility. As anything big enough to hurt you, is just going to get further irritated if shot with a .22 (barring the perfect shot).

(Indiana County)

Hi Log,I don't really have protection from anything on my mind,just a little plinking once in a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast