Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Concealing My P226

Hi all. I am planning on getting my carry permit in the near future, and was hoping to get some opinions on a few things that are on my mind. I own a Sig Sauer P226 and I would like to use that for occasional concealment. What type of holster would be the best for this? I am considering a shoulder holster or one in the small of my back. Would using either of these require clothing alterations or very large and bulky clothing? Also, my Sig has no safety on it, so that is a concern. I think I would probably carry it without a round chambered so I can't hurt myself. In an emergency I could chamber a round fairly quickly. Also, with a concealed carry permit, can I leave my gun loaded in the car while I ran into the store? I appreciate any feedback you can provide. Thanks.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Concealing My P226

Alot of people new to carrying first carry without one in the pipe. I did for a few weeks myself. Then after realizing that 1) nothing bad happened 2) it only goes off if the trigger is pulled and 3) a good holster will cover the trigger, I started carrying with it ready to fire.

You may not have that 2 seconds of time to rack the slide and then fire. That time might go bye bye in a panic situation.

Get yourself a good holster. Don't go cheap is my advice. I carry using a DeSantis OWB Speed Scabbard or a Galco IWB Summer Comfort. Both work well for my full size pistol.

Also.... I don't worry about printing. Most people have cell phones on their hips anymore. A vast majority of people won't even notice a slight bulge.

On a side note.... How much shooting experience do you have? If you're a novice I'd suggest taking an NRA Basic Pistol course or something similar. Make sure you're familiar with your firearm before carrying. As you said... You don't want to hurt yourself or anyone else accidentially.

Good luck and welcome to the forums.

That's my 2 cents.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Pike County)

The 226 is a good size gun. Use caution in carrying SOB, if you go down hard on your back you could end up with some damage.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoootie View Post
    Hi all. I am planning on getting my carry permit in the near future, and was hoping to get some opinions on a few things that are on my mind. I own a Sig Sauer P226 and I would like to use that for occasional concealment. What type of holster would be the best for this? I am considering a shoulder holster or one in the small of my back. Would using either of these require clothing alterations or very large and bulky clothing? Also, my Sig has no safety on it, so that is a concern. I think I would probably carry it without a round chambered so I can't hurt myself. In an emergency I could chamber a round fairly quickly. Also, with a concealed carry permit, can I leave my gun loaded in the car while I ran into the store? I appreciate any feedback you can provide. Thanks.
    It is true a lot of people feel that the gun will go off by itself when they first start carrying. You will soon find this to be fallacy. The key to getting over this is becoming comfortable with your weapon and becoming comfortable carrying it. Both require a lot of time and practice.

I've found that it takes quite some time to get used to carrying. A month or two, maybe even more depending on the individual. By carrying "occaisionally" you may never become comfortable enough to carry and not think about it. So to start you must carry regularly. I think you will then find that once you are comfortable carrying you wont have any reason not to, because you are used to it. At least that is the way it went for me. Plus it helps with the first rule of gun fighting...BRING YOUR GUN! Best of luck with finding the carry style that works for you and congratulations on taking on the responsibility of protecting yourself and your loved ones.

(Montgomery County)

I forgot to answer this question. Legally you can. But it is generally frowned upon as you run the risk of your car and gun getting stolen. Although you will not be held liable as long as you report the gun stolen, it is a hassle you surely do not want to have to deal with. Sometimes it is unavoidable to leave your gun in your car, but it is just best to do it as little as possible.

(Northampton County)

"I am considering a shoulder holster or one in the small of my back. Would using either of these require clothing alterations or very large and bulky clothing?"

I have a galco shoulder rig for my HK - if you wear your shirts pretty loose it's not super obvious but it can be noticed if someone looks hard enough.

I still use it occasionally , especially when I am wearing a light jacket or a zip up sweatshirt.

I have switched over to using a SmartCarry as my primary means of carrying concealed now and I love it but still switch off every now and then, especially now that the colder months are here.

I think you might need to experiment a little to find what works best for you. Unfortunately , that costs money but I can think of worse things to spend your cash on

(Philadelphia County)

My two cents says to not use a form of carry other than strong side IWB/OWB unless you absolutely have to.

They are unnatural range of motions and are "slower" than "up and out" that strong side carry IWB/OWB benefits from.

One reason I say it is unnatural and slower is for people who don't have the chance to practice drawing too much because of work or whatever. With those kinds of carry, you have to reach across and behind yourself and there is a greater risk of your arm or arms could get bound by your attacker more easily.

This is reduced from a natural up and out motion to the target. Strong side is just natural for people, so it may have the benefit of "instinctual" grab when needed and a lot of training is not forseeable. Example, I am right handed, if I do a quick search of myself to see if I forgot something (keys, chapstick, etc.), I almost instictively use my right hand to pat my pockets down, reach for my wallet, etc. The same logic to me applies for reaching for my weapon in case I need it.

Another detriment to shoulder or back carry related to the unnatural range of motion is that you are flagging areas unnecssarily in your motion, with shoulder carry, you have to either go left to right at an angle, or right to left at an angle flagging (albeit for a brief moment if you are fast) areas you may not intend to shoot at. Again, strong side carry is just up and out to target.

With back carry, you have to get to your weapon from a pre disadvantaged position, from your back. I don't need to mention stress when something bad happens why it wouldn't be good for your finger to pull the trigger when it is not on target yet. I would only do back carry for a BUG.

If you notice those who have to carry pistols for work and are at least in the field, they carry it either in their waist, outside of waist, or on upper thigh. I did some military time and have done a few student internships at PDs, and I would never advocate for everyday people to just mimic military or LE simply because they do it, because there are different applications, but everytime I've seen a method of carry for a sidearm other than strong side is from people who sit behind desks.

I own a 226, but for fun, not for carry, it is too big for me to carry IWB. If you and your pistol can't conform due to your size, or the gun size, you need to get a better size pistol. You may need to get bigger pants sizes, or wear a little extra loose clothing or opposite to adjust to CCW.
    Last edited by Garpman; December 10th, 2007 at 08:30 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Welcome to the forum. I'll tell you I was scared to death the first time I Concealed Carried. I thought everyone could see my gun. But over the years I'm very comfortable CCing.

What type of holster would be the best for this? I am considering a shoulder holster or one in the small of my back. Would using either of these require clothing alterations or very large and bulky clothing?
    I wouldn't reccomend either of these to someone who is new to CC and is concerned about an accidental discharge from their weapon. Get either OWB or IWB. Outside/Inside the Waist Band.

Also, my Sig has no safety on it, so that is a concern. I think I would probably carry it without a round chambered so I can't hurt myself. In an emergency I could chamber a round fairly quickly.
    Your SIG has several internal safties to prevent it from discharging accidently. I have a couple SIGs that have been loaded for years and only fire when I pull the trigger. Self-defense events happen in seconds, as a beginner you won't have the time or memory to rack the slide.

Also, with a concealed carry permit, can I leave my gun loaded in the car while I ran into the store? I appreciate any feedback you can provide. Thanks.
    No need to leave it in the car, if you have a Pa LTCF.

Get some training, including on how to carry.
    Last edited by DaveM55; December 10th, 2007 at 08:56 PM.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Your Sig is a safe weapon to carry. If it is holstered in a good holster it will not discharge unless you engage the trigger. If you are concerned with carrying a round in the pipe you should:
    A: Purchase a gun with an external safety
    B: Train with your Sig and you will find your fears are unwarranted.

Although I would recommend you train regardless, keep in mind that Sig and Glock
    are carried by the overwhelming majority of state, federal, and local law enforcement.

What holster you choose is up to you just buy a good one.

Don't leave your weapon in the car to run in the store. That is why you are carrying. To protect yourself. But yes it would be legal to do so with a LTCF.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Delaware County)

Since most of your thoughts/questions have been touched upon ill add just this.
    If your afraid of carrying with one in the pipe do what i did. Get comfortable with the gun. get to where you feel comfortable loading and unloading it. i suggest you try this with snap caps or somethign similar. Finally without a mag or any ammunition rack the slide. holster and carry your unlaoded but cocked weapon around the house, yard, etc. you will notice when your done with your day 2 things 1)you stop touching the damn thing.... when you first carry you keep playing with it like a 5 year old who just found his pecker, i know i was 5 years old once too, 2)the gun is still cocked, it is perfectly safe to cary like this.
    I carry every day now, I dont take alot of time to conceal anymore and since i know its there and it doesnt move i dont check it, its where i left it and its in the condition i left it.
    I dotn carry SOB much at all. I find the gun moves too much and its not easy to draw. You will find most of us carry IWB/OWB strong side. I cant comment on shoulder rigs as i never owned one.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast