Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default Anyone aware of upcoming IDPA training/orientation in the Philly area?

I would really love to go through some sort of course/orientation before showing up to shoot my first IDPA event. I'm near Philly, but willing to drive a fair distance for weekend outings.

Default Re: Anyone aware of upcoming IDPA training/orientation in the Philly area?

Don't worry about it. Just go. They will give you a safety breifing and rundown of all the rules before the match. The specifically ask if there are any new shooters and they pull you aside and tell you everything you need to know.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Anyone aware of upcoming IDPA training/orientation in the Philly area?

http://langhornerodandgunclub.com/ap/ has Action Pistol this Saturday, open to the public. I have never been there.

The action pistol sounds like IDPA in the basics.

http://www.lprgc.org/calendar/CAL_032011.htm Lower Providence Club has USPSA Match (Setup 8am, Shoot 10am) That looks like a lot of fun also.. This is the first USPSA I've heard of at LPRGC, it will be interesting to see if they set it up like the IDPA matches.

Something to note: langhorne says the match goes on regardless of the weather. Lower Providence, cancelled their IDPA this past weekend I think cause the range was partially flooded/very wet. I shot there Sunday and it was still a little muddy. I know some of the shooting bays have drainage issues. So that is something to take into consideration depending on the weather this week and weekend.

Either of these would prepare you for IDPA, Show up early and let the Match Director know you are new to that event. Most normally have some type of safety meeting before hand and also go over each course of fire with everyone and take questions then, and also again when it is your turn to fire just clarify anything with the safety officer/timer guy that is with you. Everyone is normally very helpful to new shooters to the events.

I haven't had a bad experience yet at any matches and always learn something new.

+1 to what these guys said.

I can totally understand that going to your first IDPA match is very intimidating -- especially if you've never gone to a "match" before. However, it's extremely laid-back as far as competitions go. Your best bet would be just to go and tell the match director that you're a noob.

If you really want to practice something in the meantime, practice at home with an unloaded gun... draw from your holster and dryfire using a jacket / vest / shirt for concealment, practice your reloads, dryfire while slowly walking forward or backward (knees bent to stay level while moving), etc.

I can almost promise you that after your first match, you'll look back and think "what was I worried about".

Here's a website that lists most of the matches in the area:
    www.nepaidpascores.net

Just go, shoot slow and safe the first time and you will have fun. IDPA is very laid back. New shooters don't even have to use concealment at the places I go. New shooters are welcomed, I guarantee no one will give you a hard time. If you're really worried about it just go and watch a match. You'll be pissed at yourself if you do, the whole time you'll be thinking why the hell didn't I shoot.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

(Chester County)

Come out to lower providence. There are a number of good instructors. If anything I would recommend going to a range safety night. That is what you need to know. Long finger and safe muzzel direction.